VSONIC GR09
Mar 23, 2017 at 10:50 AM Post #17 of 184

I see, so if we can catch for 300 bucks some point, we should hit the button. 

Well, if it's the iem you want, then yes. Of course, there are no guarantees that it's a huge step up from gr07 or gr07x that justifies the price or that another iem in the same price range wouldn't be more to your liking. Right now the vsonic's CEo has announced a 4000 yuan price for the gr09 for the international market, so I guess 580-600 bucks is what it ill sell for from the international sellers

Mar 23, 2017 at 11:13 AM Post #18 of 184
Well, if it's the iem you want, then yes. Of course, there are no guarantees that it's a huge step up from gr07 or gr07x that justifies the price or that another iem in the same price range wouldn't be more to your liking. Right now the vsonic's CEo has announced a 4000 yuan price for the gr09 for the international market, so I guess 580-600 bucks is what it ill sell for from the international sellers

I see, it will probably be a huge step for me because I don't have an IEM or headphone over 150 USD. Let's see what happens.

So from your previous reply what I understand is VSonic is not a company producing pricey IEMs in annual basis, instead of that they are updating after some time and lots of R&D to achieve solid devices?

Mar 23, 2017 at 11:18 AM Post #19 of 184
I see, it will probably be a huge step for me because I don't have an IEM or headphone over 150 USD. Let's see what happens.

So from your previous reply what I understand is VSonic is not a company producing pricey IEMs in annual basis, instead of that they are updating after some time and lots of R&D to achieve solid devices?

Well, vsonic's CEO is notorious for announcing stuff and fans waiting years for it. That was the case with gr07 and don't get me started on gr09 as this month marks 5 years since it was announced.

Mar 23, 2017 at 11:37 AM Post #21 of 184
LOL
smily_headphones1.gif
So was it worth to wait for GR07?

Well, gr07 was a total success and actually still deservedly is a big seller. The thing is that while at the time vsonic didn't have much competition now there are new Chinese iems being released every week. Vsonic has consistently provided great bang for the buck products as also evident from their cheaper VSD series, but 300 bucks is not a little dough, let alone 600 and not a lot of people would jump on an iem without any reviews and comparisons unless they are already huge fans. Even I am split about it and I'm a fanboy and have heard almost all vsonic iems with very few exceptions - a lot of them being discontinued now.

Mar 27, 2017 at 5:58 PM Post #22 of 184
It's hard to judge how good the performance of gr09 will be since the CEO of the company is always hyping their products up all the time. And it seems they can only make several hundreds pairs of gr09 every month now since the difficulty of manufacturing ceramic housing. Even in China the first drop on tmall on March 31 will be limited to 50 units. And the CEO said the price in China would be always $300 but he changed his word yesterday and said that the price would be higher because they would lose money for  selling gr09 for $300. And he just gave the frequency response diagram. If it was true, gr09 would be at least a super amazing iem and may have the ability(not sure) to beat $1000 iem like xelento like the company hyped. I will certainly try to catch the first releasing although the releasing time is 5:00 am in California...... Since there are only 50 units, I have to get up early that day. Although the company is always hyping around, they still have some good qualities which I can trust. They never sell open box and don't repair their product in warranty time: they destroy all returning products and gave new pairs for broken headphones in warranty time. The first time I bought their product is gr07x, which was said to be extraordinary iems and using gr09's driver. Then they changed their mind on gr09 I think. Although gr07x is already the top one on its price range, gr09 is now using a totally new driver which is much better than gr07x's. The company just collected information on its weibo(a website like twitter in China). Then all followers on weibo who bought the gr07x in the  first 4 months just got a new pair of gr07 limited edition, which used modified gr09 driver and had better performance than gr07x... And gr07x also became a limited model with 1500 units in total although the same driver may be used in future vsd7. But finally don't count to much on their product quality. Although vsonic is a generous company with good product service, their product quality is still horrible yet. Yes, horrible. They said gr07x would be of good quality but it is actually not. We don't  know gr09 yet, but as they said ceramic housing has a finished product rate lower than 40%, I don't think they can handle the product control well on ceramic housing since they can't even handle plastic housing.

Mar 27, 2017 at 6:20 PM Post #23 of 184
  Then all followers on weibo who bought the gr07x in the  first 4 months just got a new pair of gr07 limited edition, which used modified gr09 driver and had better performance than gr07x...

Be nice if they did this for stupid westerners who bought in on day one.

Funny enough, the glue holding both nozzle-rings in place has recently given away on my 07X. So much for my, "I haven't had any build problems with Vsonic in five years!" claim. I have nothing but love for the whole 07 line, and have since I first heard them, but for a number of reasons I'm feeling pretty comfortable taking a pass on the 09.

Mar 27, 2017 at 6:35 PM Post #24 of 184

I am just hoping vsonic can give something that can get to rank of sound of t8ie, xelento, dita truth or campfire vega. Those $1000 dynamic driver iem are too expensive for an iem in my mind but there is no other choice to get something close but much cheaper. The jvc fx1200 is the closest target now but the bass is too much. So I am counting on the gr09.
Gr07 line is pretty good but even gr07x's sound is still much behind $1000 line. And it seems gr09 is also easier to drive than gr07x. For gr07x I am using mojo+e12a since mojo's output is not powerful enough. I hope gr09 can make me remove e12a from the setup. 

Mar 27, 2017 at 7:51 PM Post #25 of 184
I am just hoping vsonic can give something that can get to rank of sound of t8ie, xelento, dita truth or campfire vega. Those $1000 dynamic driver iem are too expensive for an iem in my mind but there is no other choice to get something close but much cheaper. The jvc fx1200 is the closest target now but the bass is too much. So I am counting on the gr09.
Gr07 line is pretty good but even gr07x's sound is still much behind $1000 line. And it seems gr09 is also easier to drive than gr07x. For gr07x I am using mojo+e12a since mojo's output is not powerful enough. I hope gr09 can make me remove e12a from the setup. 

ever tried ex1000? they used to be $1000 but much cheaper now, still my favorite IEM overall but can have sibilance issues depending on source & individual fit.

I am really disappointed with Xelento pricing, when I saw it announced I thought "oh finally, a high-end Beyerdynamic IEM without the A&K premium luxury price!" ... so much for that :rolleyes: (not to mention early reports indicate they haven't even fixed the build quality issues from the T8ie despite it being the third revision using the same basic design).

Mar 27, 2017 at 7:53 PM Post #26 of 184
Oh, look, I hope it's an amazing, world-beating IEM, and worth the four (five?) year wait. If I sound overly negative, that's just the filter of the internet. My 07X balanced + M1S combo is stunningly good--especially at that price point.

Mar 28, 2017 at 3:03 AM Post #28 of 184

Have you tried the new JVC FW01? It has less bass than the FX1200, and even less with front vent mod. The Xelento and Vega may be cutting-edge tech and super expensive, but tonality isn't that great on both imo.

Mar 28, 2017 at 4:26 AM Post #29 of 184
Have you tried the new JVC FW01? It has less bass than the FX1200, and even less with front vent mod. The Xelento and Vega may be cutting-edge tech and super expensive, but tonality isn't that great on both imo.

I demoed fw01 and dita truth half an year ago at the same time. Unfortunately I feel like they have different kinds of sounds and hard to compare. The tonality of both gr07x and dita truth can give some super organized and clean sound stages similar to what I feel when I use my beyerdynamic t1ii, although gr07x's sound certainly has many flaws like the weak dynamic range or harsh and thin vocal. And fw01 give me the feeling like z7. It's awesome but not the sound I want for a highest rank of dynamic driver iem. For xelento and vega I didn't have a chance to try yet. But their fame of sound is certainly better than dita truth so I assume they are in the same or better rank. I demoed t8ie one and half year ago but at that time I didn't have a lot of experience and just felt it was good. Since it was too expensive to me I didn't listen a lot.

Mar 28, 2017 at 4:43 AM Post #30 of 184
ever tried ex1000? they used to be $1000 but much cheaper now, still my favorite IEM overall but can have sibilance issues depending on source & individual fit.

I am really disappointed with Xelento pricing, when I saw it announced I thought "oh finally, a high-end Beyerdynamic IEM without the A&K premium luxury price!" ... so much for that :rolleyes: (not to mention early reports indicate they haven't even fixed the build quality issues from the T8ie despite it being the third revision using the same basic design).

Not really. I was deciding between gr07x and ex1000. Since gr07x is cheaper and everyone was saying it is better than ex1000 I bought gr07x. Another big reason is its horrible isolation. I already has fx850 with horrible isolation and feel its usage is so limited. So while there was a similar competitor gr07x I just bought it. Also there was the rumor that gr07 line and ex1000 uses similar diaphragm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back