VSONIC GR09
Mar 28, 2017 at 5:57 AM Post #31 of 184
ever tried ex1000? they used to be $1000 but much cheaper now, still my favorite IEM overall but can have sibilance issues depending on source & individual fit.

I am really disappointed with Xelento pricing, when I saw it announced I thought "oh finally, a high-end Beyerdynamic IEM without the A&K premium luxury price!" ... so much for that
rolleyes.gif
(not to mention early reports indicate they haven't even fixed the build quality issues from the T8ie despite it being the third revision using the same basic design).

Personally, I prefer the EX1000 over the Xelento.

Mar 29, 2017 at 2:42 PM Post #34 of 184
  I personally prefer the EX-800ST over the EX-1000. 

Yup, these two are very close in SQ. Pretty much comes down to how sensitive people are to treble harshness, and how loud they like to listen.

Technically, the EX1000 driver is slightly superior. But the brighter tuning tends to be more fatiguing, particularly at high volume.

Apr 5, 2017 at 4:01 AM Post #35 of 184
Own both EX1000 and GR07X. Altough GR07X is a obvious step up over original GR07, EX1000 is still better in terms of imaging and subbass. But overall they're pretty close. I prefer vocals on GR07X. I'm rather sensitive in sibilant area but I don't get them with EX1000 and good quality recordings. I'm using this noise isolation tips - http://www.ebay.com/itm/301563721355 which make a little darker than regular Sony silicones. Also got these lately, great sounding with perfect ergonomics, works with both EX1000 and GR07X - http://www.ebay.com/itm/172485248321
I'm using both balanced with DX200 now.

Back on topic, really looking forward to hear more about GR09, since GR07X impressed me and I'm a fan of one dynamic driver philosophy.

Thanks guys for your input, please keep us informed.

Apr 10, 2017 at 5:54 AM Post #37 of 184
Vsonic seem to be having issues with the housings, which leads to the extremely slow manufacturing and low number batches. That's probably the main reason these aren't widely available. Also, apparently this might lead to a hike in the price to circa 450 bucks if unresolved by the next batch.

For me that's a confirmation by the Vsonic's CEO that the reason for the high price is not actually the R&D that went in designing the drivers but rather the R&D and manufacturing costs of the ceramic shells. The problem is that people go for vsonic for the price to performance ratio and personally I don't think I would buy a gr09 knowing that 200 bucks of its cost are for those angled ceramic shells. For 200 bucks more a company like Noble provides you one of a kind handmade Wizard designed shells, so don\t know what Vsonic's CEO is thinking?

IMO, they should start mass production of the gr07x limited edition with the gr09 drivers for curca 250 bucks instead and forget about the gr09.

Apr 10, 2017 at 6:59 PM Post #39 of 184
  Vsonic seem to be having issues with the housings, which leads to the extremely slow manufacturing and low number batches. That's probably the main reason these aren't widely available. Also, apparently this might lead to a hike in the price to circa 450 bucks if unresolved by the next batch.

For me that's a confirmation by the Vsonic's CEO that the reason for the high price is not actually the R&D that went in designing the drivers but rather the R&D and manufacturing costs of the ceramic shells. The problem is that people go for vsonic for the price to performance ratio and personally I don't think I would buy a gr09 knowing that 200 bucks of its cost are for those angled ceramic shells. For 200 bucks more a company like Noble provides you one of a kind handmade Wizard designed shells, so don\t know what Vsonic's CEO is thinking?

IMO, they should start mass production of the gr07x limited edition with the gr09 drivers for curca 250 bucks instead and forget about the gr09.

As long as they can mass produce it I don't care what material they use for the shell, waiting simply is not fun. But gr07's shell is not as aesthetically pleasing as gr09. But again, if that's available now, I'm in. 

Apr 11, 2017 at 7:48 AM Post #40 of 184
GR09 is certainly a gift for fans of single dynamic driver earphones.

More and more hybrid and multi driver IEMs in the market, but I still think single DD is the most natural (not neutral) sounding.

Apr 16, 2017 at 9:13 PM Post #42 of 184

Actually it is almost impossible to have same sound with plastic housing as the sound with ceramic housing. Housing is as important as the driver for such top rank sound IEMs. Vsonic do claim that they will manufacture plastic version of gr09 with the same price as ceramic housing gr09 now, around $280. Although the CEO said the sound would keep the same because, I highly doubt it. It is physically almost impossible to achieve this. The last batch of black ceramic housing gr09 will be on April 20th and the number of units will be only 20. After this the ceramic version will still exist after June 30th since there is no longer ceramic stock on market for gr09 housing now. After June 30th the ceramic version will be 2399 rmb (2499 - 100 voucher in official store), which is around $340. Btw, this is the price if you order it in China, and the overseas price is not available yet I think. 
The reviews of gr09 yet are mostly positive even they put it on the around  $800 price range IEMs which is the price range the company says gr09 can stand or even beat. There may exists some hype and the units on the market are pretty rare yet, but considering it is a $280 IEM I think it is certainly a good deal. I finally succeeded to order mine on 15th, the largest release with 120 units. I asked two of my friends in China to help me and I also woke up at 5am to buy it. The units were gone in 1 second and I succeeded to order it across the Pacific Ocean but both of my friends failed in China...

Apr 17, 2017 at 1:47 AM Post #43 of 184

Actually it is almost impossible to have same sound with plastic housing as the sound with ceramic housing. Housing is as important as the driver for such top rank sound IEMs. Vsonic do claim that they will manufacture plastic version of gr09 with the same price as ceramic housing gr09 now, around $280. Although the CEO said the sound would keep the same because, I highly doubt it. It is physically almost impossible to achieve this. The last batch of black ceramic housing gr09 will be on April 20th and the number of units will be only 20. After this the ceramic version will still exist after June 30th since there is no longer ceramic stock on market for gr09 housing now. After June 30th the ceramic version will be 2399 rmb (2499 - 100 voucher in official store), which is around $340. Btw, this is the price if you order it in China, and the overseas price is not available yet I think. 
The reviews of gr09 yet are mostly positive even they put it on the around  $800 price range IEMs which is the price range the company says gr09 can stand or even beat. There may exists some hype and the units on the market are pretty rare yet, but considering it is a $280 IEM I think it is certainly a good deal. I finally succeeded to order mine on 15th, the largest release with 120 units. I asked two of my friends in China to help me and I also woke up at 5am to buy it. The units were gone in 1 second and I succeeded to order it across the Pacific Ocean but both of my friends failed in China...

Thanks for your input.

Apr 17, 2017 at 1:58 AM Post #44 of 184

You are so lucky! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back