Trinity Audio Engineering - What the future holds
May 21, 2017 at 1:20 PM Post #1,756 of 2,949
For those who were asking about the size or ergonomics of the Hunter, have updated my blog post on Audio Primate with some comparison shots vs a few IEMs for size purposes - Campfire Andromeda, Campfire Vega, a CustomArt 9-driver CIEM and also the Trinity Hyperion - should hopefully give people an idea where these sit in terms of size. Link below:

https://audioprimate.blog/2017/05/19/trinity-phantom-hunter-unboxing-pictures/
How do they sound compared to those?

May 21, 2017 at 1:23 PM Post #1,757 of 2,949
How do they sound compared to those?

Different. They sound good, but not as full or bassy as the Vega and a little more clinical than the Andromeda. Will be including some comparisons in my write up, but need to spend a few weeks with them first.

Closest I can think of as an initial comparison is the Rhapsodio Galaxy V2, although don't take that as gospel as the soundstage feels different.

Last edited:
May 21, 2017 at 1:45 PM Post #1,758 of 2,949
Different. They sound good, but not as full or bassy as the Vega and a little more clinical than the Andromeda. Will be including some comparisons in my write up, but need to surf a few weeks with them first.

Closest I can think of as an initial comparison is the Rhapsodio Galaxy V2, although don't take that as girl as the soundstage feels different.
Yeah these definitely aren't for bassheads. Very detailed, maybe too much so. I'm having a rough time finding a combo to get rid of the sibilance.

May 21, 2017 at 1:57 PM Post #1,759 of 2,949
Yeah these definitely aren't for bassheads. Very detailed, maybe too much so. I'm having a rough time finding a combo to get rid of the sibilance.

Gold damped is the best balance for me - crisp, but not sibilant.

May 21, 2017 at 2:01 PM Post #1,760 of 2,949
Gold damped is the best balance for me - crisp, but not sibilant.
I tried them but for me they were sibilant. That was with my iDSD black and fiio X7. The X3ii is a warmer source so I'm going to try with it and see if it's the source I'm using. Right now I'm using the silver damped with good results but a little too much bass for me.

May 21, 2017 at 4:07 PM Post #1,761 of 2,949
Different. They sound good, but not as full or bassy as the Vega and a little more clinical than the Andromeda. Will be including some comparisons in my write up, but need to spend a few weeks with them first.

Closest I can think of as an initial comparison is the Rhapsodio Galaxy V2, although don't take that as gospel as the soundstage feels different.
In your opinion, is the Campfire Andromeda worth the price difference?

May 21, 2017 at 6:29 PM Post #1,762 of 2,949

CA Andromeda is worth the price if that is your preference for a sound signature IMO.

May 22, 2017 at 2:29 AM Post #1,763 of 2,949

CA Andromeda is worth the price if that is your preference for a sound signature IMO.

Anything over about $400 is going to be more about preference than technical ability in my opinion, so it really depends on what type of sound signature you are after, as the differences will be a lot smaller than the difference between a $50 iem and a $200 iem. What sort of sound signature are you after? Warm/analytical/detailed/smooth etc?

May 22, 2017 at 6:09 AM Post #1,764 of 2,949
Anything over about $400 is going to be more about preference than technical ability in my opinion, so it really depends on what type of sound signature you are after, as the differences will be a lot smaller than the difference between a $50 iem and a $200 iem. What sort of sound signature are you after? Warm/analytical/detailed/smooth etc?

I do have to say that in my experience Campfire A IEM's I have found that they are very intricately tuned. What I mean by this is that the tuning is basically perfected, but once you EQ it, you lose the synergy of the sound signature and what it provides and it easily loses that perfection. Trinity doesn't offer the perfected level of tuning that Campfire Audio does, BUT the tuning does offer more good variations with alternating filters so there is a trade off between something like Campfire A versus Trinity.

You don't want to go into buying a Campfire IEM looking to EQ it and modify it like you can with a trinity IEM.

May 22, 2017 at 7:19 AM Post #1,765 of 2,949
No particular sound signature I had in mind. I suppose I was hoping that I would find something which was a bit more spacious, detailed sounding, natural sounding, good for classical music. The Phantom Hunters interest me because they seem to be compared to earphones at a much higher price, and they seem rather inexpensive for a flagship earphone, something I can afford without having to gut any plans for buying other nice things.

May 22, 2017 at 7:21 AM Post #1,766 of 2,949
No particular sound signature I had in mind. I suppose I was hoping that I would find something which was a bit more spacious, detailed sounding, natural sounding, good for classical music. The Phantom Hunters interest me because they seem to be compared to earphones at a much higher price, and they seem rather inexpensive for a flagship earphone, something I can afford without having to gut any plans for buying other nice things.

Can you attend a canjam in the future? I highly recommend it even if it takes a road trip.

May 22, 2017 at 7:31 AM Post #1,767 of 2,949
Can you attend a canjam in the future? I highly recommend it even if it takes a road trip.
Probably not in the near future, but it sounds like something I'd go to. If it came to Cleveland there would be no hesitation on my part, but it looks like only a most-major city sort of thing.

May 22, 2017 at 7:50 AM Post #1,768 of 2,949
Probably not in the near future, but it sounds like something I'd go to. If it came to Cleveland there would be no hesitation on my part, but it looks like only a most-major city sort of thing.

You basically get to take a trip through your audio journey in one day and find out what is right for you so you don't have to waste time on products that aren't necessarily best for you. I think it saves time and money in going to one.

Trinity is, well... was a solid company to start the journey with the Delta series cuz they were a rather agreeable sound signature. But once you start to hone in on the sound you prefer or find out what really sounds like home to your ears, I think it is definitely worth spending the money like getting a Campfire Audio IEM or one from another reputable Audio company...

Going to canjam expedited the process of finding what was right and feeling that feeling of what it's like to have an IEM in my ears that felt like home so I don't get stuck buying a bunch of IEM's at or near the same price range and move up in small costly increments when I could just jump up to the level that was right. They do a very very good job at the canjams.

May 22, 2017 at 9:31 AM Post #1,769 of 2,949
Just returned from my 1st Head-Fi event in St. Louis, Missouri. It wasn't as huge as a big CanJam, but very worthwhile. Anyway in the St. Louis thread poster FunctionalDoc said he was hosting a local Ohio event in April. If the date held, you missed it. You should PM him and ask. Might have been rescheduled or perhaps another is being planned. Good luck.

Last edited:
May 23, 2017 at 1:25 PM Post #1,770 of 2,949
Finally received my Masters today, did come with an extra set of Medium tips and a bag.
First impression is ok-ish, bit hollow sounding with the red filters, running from my XDP-300R DAP, will try some more later on.
Unpleasant surprise was that the promised 2.5mm TRRS cable wasn't there, which was one of the main reasons for trying this Master, as an upgrade from my Master 4 and first step into balanced.

Will we receive the 3.5 TRRS male to 2.5 TRRS male cable automatically or do I need to sent Trinity an email?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back