TOPPING NX1 Portable Headphone Amplifier Impressions Thread
Feb 10, 2017 at 7:16 PM Post #2,026 of 2,185
Coming late to the party - my Fiio A3 died on me after 4 months. Luckily I could convince Amazon (UK) to accept return for full refund. Though I liked the A3 I was so disappointed with its dying, that I looked around for something else. I ended up with the NX1A - cheaper than the A3, so for the refunded sum Icould even buy some small bits and pieces.

It arrived today, the first impression is very good on this setup: Sony NW-A35 -> Fiio LOD cable -> NX1A -> Senn HD-598

I'm confused isn't the LOD cable for Apple devices? Haven't used my NX1 since the S5 died a couple of weeks ago but will be back in action once I get my hands on a Benjie T6

Feb 11, 2017 at 2:28 AM Post #2,028 of 2,185
I'm confused isn't the LOD cable for Apple devices? Haven't used my NX1 since the S5 died a couple of weeks ago but will be back in action once I get my hands on a Benjie T6

There are various LOD connectors, the LOD L9 is for Apple, but Fiio also do one for Sony players. Using LOD can make a noticeable improvement in sound quality compared to using the 3.5 headphone socket

Feb 11, 2017 at 3:18 PM Post #2,029 of 2,185

Depends on the cable. The Fiio L5 cable is for the Sony Walkman (WM) connector, see here

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Audio-Video-Cables/FiiO-Line-Out-Dock-Sony-Walkman-Player/B004M172JA

Feb 17, 2017 at 7:08 PM Post #2,030 of 2,185
Hi folks! I'm looking for an amp to power my beyerdynamic custom studio's, Source: samsung s6. Should I actually get the nx1 amp, if my only source will be smartphone? Will it cause hiss or distortions? Are there any alternatives for the price? Is the cable really that bad and which one would you recommend? Thanks!

Feb 17, 2017 at 8:31 PM Post #2,031 of 2,185
Hi folks! I'm looking for an amp to power my beyerdynamic custom studio's, Source: samsung s6. Should I actually get the amp, if my only source will be smartphone? Will it cause hiss or distortions? Are there any alternatives for the price? Is the cable really that bad and which one would you recommend? Thanks!
maybe new TOPPING NX4 HIFI USB DAC support for iPhone, iPad, other Apple device decoding USB decoding specifications up to 192kHz / 32bit
http://s.aliexpress.com/ryiIzaIv

Mar 8, 2017 at 12:02 PM Post #2,034 of 2,185
I only listen at low to moderate volume levels, so I really enjoy listening to my iPod classic 160Gb via LOD L9 to my Topping Nx-1 on my AKG K612. I'm well aware that I might not be getting the very best from the K612, but there is plenty of sub-bass, detail retrieval and an excellent soundstage. Piano recordings sound very life-like indeed. I use it on high gain setting but never go above 6/10. Just goes to show how powerful this pocket rocket is! Lots of people say that it can't possibly drive the K612, but it certainly works with my tin ears

Apr 8, 2017 at 9:07 AM Post #2,036 of 2,185
I saw on facebook someone "stacking" the Topping NX1A to form a "cheap as dirt" balanced stack for their player. I'd stack 2 of these to power hungrier cans (and have a Transportable rig when I'm sitting on the patio or different parts of the house), and just the X5iii and my VE Monk/Zen/Sine when I leave the house.  Has anyone else tried something like that?

Jun 27, 2017 at 7:11 AM Post #2,038 of 2,185
Did anyone buy the new NX1S with more power and less distortion?
http://www.tpdz.net/en/products/nx1s/index.htm
The increased power may be useful to those with hungrier phones. I suspect the main difference in the THD+N figures they quote comes from reduced background noise, which some have reported on the NX1 when using sensitive IEMs. As far as THD alone goes, anything under 0,.01% is fine.

Jul 5, 2017 at 4:36 AM Post #2,039 of 2,185
Hi guys,

I have the NX1 but I'm looking for an upgrade, preferably something with bass boost but no larger than the NX1. I'm driving IEMs, although occasionally I will need to drive the Senn HD650.

My source is the Iphone 6S so I'm not looking for a DAC, just amplification. I don't want the hassle of using the camera kit.

Are there any Fiio or other Chi-fi amps that would fit the bill? I live in Singapore and it's cheaper to ship from China/HK.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2017 at 3:43 AM Post #2,040 of 2,185
The NX1s has a bass boost. No idea how it sounds. I'm waiting for the Massdrop of it I ordered to ship.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back