The Official Sony MDR-Z1R Flagship Headphone Thread (Live From IFA 2016)
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 21, 2017 at 7:48 AM Post #9,691 of 11,341
Picture time :)

jmills8, what do you use to drive these headphones ? I mostly use my DX200, but lately I have been using the FiiO X5iii and this combination is not bad at all.

IMAG0138~3.jpg

May 21, 2017 at 7:56 AM Post #9,692 of 11,341
Picture time :)

jmills8, what do you use to drive these headphones ? I mostly use my DX200, but lately I have been using the FiiO X5iii and this combination is not bad at all.

Nice looking cable, who made them? For me neither dap is strong enough. Im using X5III with amp, Cowon with amp or phone with Amp/Dac.

20170517_180523.jpg

May 21, 2017 at 8:14 AM Post #9,693 of 11,341
The cable is made by a local guy, it's only a hobby for him and yes it's a nice cable. I am no expert regarding cables and not sure I can here a difference but it's beautiful and ergonomic. I don't miss any power with both these daps but always curious. I need to try some of these amps, never ending hobby :)

May 21, 2017 at 8:18 AM Post #9,694 of 11,341
The cable is made by a local guy, it's only a hobby for him and yes it's a nice cable. I am no expert regarding cables and not sure I can here a difference but it's beautiful and ergonomic. I don't miss any power with both these daps but always curious. I need to try some of these amps, never ending hobby :)
Some cables will not sound any different from the stock but can look better. I really dont care about how any gear looks. Main focus are sound and ease of use.

May 21, 2017 at 12:52 PM Post #9,695 of 11,341
Nice looking cable, who made them? For me neither dap is strong enough. Im using X5III with amp, Cowon with amp or phone with Amp/Dac.

Bud, do me a favor and spend some of those money to upgrade your camera/ phone/ whatever it is that you use to take those pic... It looks so blurred and out of focus.
Nice rigs though. :wink:

May 21, 2017 at 1:08 PM Post #9,696 of 11,341
Bud, do me a favor and spend some of those money to upgrade your camera/ phone/ whatever it is that you use to take those pic... It looks so blurred and out of focus.
Nice rigs though. :wink:
Yep I never bought a camera nor do I know how to take pics. Most of my ex GF were great at taking pics. Guess I should ask my wife now.

May 21, 2017 at 4:14 PM Post #9,697 of 11,341
Thank you all for providing feedback on after market cables.. I thought a lot about all the excellent options provided and decided to go with SONY MUC-B20SB1 balanced kimber cable.. here my reasons
1) I couldn't bring myself to spend more than $500 on cable without demoing .. So axios was out
2) I am huge believer in synergy of source, headphones and cables.. also I believe there are smarter people than me out there .. so put my faith in Sony engineers.. they developed these products together so I am hoping they know better on how they sound together and synergy they have..
3) most important the cost of the cable was $290 and it comes with right angle compact 4.4 balanced jack and screw in 3.5 mm jack on HP side. Very few after market providers do this. I asked around believe me. The plugs they use are huge. Also if I am being vain the kimber cables look very good ☺️

Anyway will let you know how the cable sounds when It arrives

Thanks again guys for all your help
Pc

Last edited:
May 21, 2017 at 8:58 PM Post #9,698 of 11,341
So does this mean that your initial negative impression of the Z1R has now changed? I hope so. I owned and really liked the PM3, but the Oppo isn't in the same league as the Z1R in my view so I was rather surprised you found the PM3 the better headphone. If I'm confusing you with another poster my apology, and the Kimber does look very nice for sure.

May 21, 2017 at 10:47 PM Post #9,699 of 11,341
So does this mean that your initial negative impression of the Z1R has now changed? I hope so. I owned and really liked the PM3, but the Oppo isn't in the same league as the Z1R in my view so I was rather surprised you found the PM3 the better headphone. If I'm confusing you with another poster my apology, and the Kimber does look very nice for sure.

No. It was me :L3000: and my first impressions were not that good hence I was looking at the collective wisdom of the forum to walk me off the ledge :beerchug:.. now that I have about 30 hrs on both balanced connection on Sony wm1z and z1r I can see that it is opening up and getting used to this sound and the bass.. now I am getting excited how the final signature may feel like.. I still feel Oppo pm3 are excellent headphones for the price but z1r is definitely something else.. the thing is stock cable sound is really good.. hoping kimber brings mids bit forward and tightens bass..

Patiently burning both Sony wm1z and z1r and enjoying as sound sig changes

Pc

Last edited:
May 21, 2017 at 11:02 PM Post #9,700 of 11,341
The Sony wm1z is a dark dap. One of the most dark dap I ever heard.

May 22, 2017 at 12:15 AM Post #9,701 of 11,341
Has anyone noticed the bands are bit crooked when cups are centered. I freaked out when I saw the headband on my head was not centered.. does anyone else experience it.. I searched web for images and looks like it is design feature

Pc

BCE4B593-CC26-4BD8-97B5-7FC30E7811AA-1779-0000021DC04D0F6E.jpeg D535C93A-360F-458D-A624-EDDD2777DA31-1779-0000021DFA7048A1.jpeg

May 22, 2017 at 12:35 AM Post #9,702 of 11,341
No. It was me :L3000: and my first impressions were not that good hence I was looking at the collective wisdom of the forum to walk me off the ledge :beerchug:.. now that I have about 30 hrs on both balanced connection on Sony wm1z and z1r I can see that it is opening up and getting used to this sound and the bass.. now I am getting excited how the final signature may feel like.. I still feel Oppo pm3 are excellent headphones for the price but z1r is definitely something else.. the thing is stock cable sound is really good.. hoping kimber brings mids bit forward and tightens bass..

Patiently burning both Sony wm1z and z1r and enjoying as sound sig changes

Pc

Good to hear you are starting to enjoy the combo. I will also suggest playing around with the DSEE HX settings on the Walkman, especially the two vocal modes which pushes out the mid range a bit, this should flatten out the transition of the FR curve at the upper bass/mid bass area which may help with you getting adjusted to the powerful bass of the Z1R.

I quite like the full set of WM1Z > Sony Kimber Kable > Z1R, not that I think the cable makes much difference but it does look classy so there's probably a placebo effect there anyway. :) Though I wish the cable was shorter for easier management, the stock cable is the right length IMO. Funny I don't even think the Walkman lacks power as I don't even use high gain mode in this pairing.

May 22, 2017 at 1:03 AM Post #9,703 of 11,341
Has anyone noticed the bands are bit crooked when cups are centered. I freaked out when I saw the headband on my head was not centered.. does anyone else experience it.. I searched web for images and looks like it is design feature

Pc

Found the issue.. bought it brand new on amazon from buywise corp.. looks like pads were swapped. When it reswapped them fit is perfect .. opened a case with buywise returning this pair and getting a new one somewhere else

Arghus

Pc

May 22, 2017 at 1:15 AM Post #9,704 of 11,341
Omg, hope your mind gets to relax and enjoy.

May 22, 2017 at 1:37 AM Post #9,705 of 11,341
Found the issue.. bought it brand new on amazon from buywise corp.. looks like pads were swapped. When it reswapped them fit is perfect .. opened a case with buywise returning this pair and getting a new one somewhere else

Arghus

Pc
Do you mean that the left pad was mounted on the right side and vice versa for the right pad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back