The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
May 12, 2017 at 11:25 PM Post #5,552 of 22,434
We have a new toy... XI AUDIO (Eleven Audio) model Formula S headphone amplifier. We helped fine tune this bad boy for headphones such as our Abyss Phi. IMO, sound quality is top shelf. US domestic price $3500, availability in a few months from your Abyss dealer.

xi_audio_abyss_phi.jpg

Last edited:
ABYSS Headphones We engineer, machine, and build our headphones from scratch in New York, USA. Stay updated on ABYSS Headphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AbyssHeadphones https://twitter.com/AbyssHeadphones https://www.instagram.com/abyssheadphones/ https://abyss-headphones.com/ info@Abyss-Headphones.com
May 15, 2017 at 8:13 PM Post #5,555 of 22,434
IMG_3590.PNG
After about 2 weeks burn-in and extensive listening i can give you a first impression at least.

I have felt they needed like 150++ hours burn-in to let loose the fast transients , air , deep soundstage and the famous visceral sound (dynamic low bass breath effect) that has become the signature stamp for the Abyss during the years.

It sounds as it looks and i become to love the design and built quality.

I will keep this pretty short because i don't feel i need to wright two essays about this upgrade simply explained because the original signature sound is well kept as many of you was afraid of to be different , but with more balance , control and transparency ( true to the source and amp) . You can play louder without any indication of stress or distortion at all for one. The soundstage are more in control and not as free as before, good or bad, it is a slight difference, and in a sound technical point of view that is better.

IMG_3599.PNG

I have tested the Phi's with a few different High End amps and DAC's and cables that i own or sell in our shop or borrowed from fellow colleagues in other HiFi stores.

IMG_3591.PNG

I will not go any deeper in to the equipment i have been using because i feel we are then miss out the subject and purpose of this short impression of the new Phi upgrade, but i assure everyone that i have listen through many different Amps and DAC combos with different cables, so i eventually could by almost 100% distinguish the new qualities of the Phi's.

IMG_3600.PNG

The new Phi's got a slight roll-off @

~30hz and downwards in energy (F-response vs the original ( without any EQ compensation) , so the ultra low's are more in control and more balanced, and gives a slightly less shivering rumble to your chic bones than the old one did, and because of this there is less disturbance in higher registers in exchange ( =higher clarity) .

IMG_3592.PNG

Overall i find the frequency curve very similar to the old version, and it got a slight-slight recessed mid in comparison to other headphones like Focal Utopia on the same setup and vol. db level , but becomes more in balance on mid-higher volume. The Abyss "kills" the "boring" Focal Utopia on mostly all other parameters that i value high in my book.

The overall tone character is a slight more neutral and slightly dryer vs the original is slighty warmer.

When it comes to sensitivity i feel the Phi's is almost on par with the old one, it is slight more sensitive, but need current drive and power just as before to really breath from my testing.

And as before they are scale-able when it comes to the equipment. A slightly to neutral DAC ore a too neutral thin Amp or cables does not take out the fine qualities of the new Phi's.

The tests have been made by using the org. Stock JPS Labs Abyss headphone cables 85% of the time spent. ( Superconductor and DHC Prion 4s have also been in to the game, but more as a differentiator in the cake, or fine tuning from time to time.

IMG_3597.PNG

IMG_3602.PNG

I thought that a great design as the org AB-1266 Abyss was, that it seemed to be hard to refine, but Joe S and Jason S @ JPS Labs have made it again!

The old Abyss is more like an untamed beast that rumble and got a big heart, whereas the new Phi's is more tamed and behaved, but with the maintained rumble beast inside!

IMG_3313.JPG

I can wright more about this topic, but my final conclusion is that the Phi is a real refined upgraded Abyss Mk II version!

( Just random pictures )

Last edited:
May 20, 2017 at 11:48 PM Post #5,558 of 22,434
Just found a solution to the JPS Abyss's headband loosen elastic problem. The elastic on my pair had became so loose that my head touches the frame all the time, and the earpods are using my ears to hang itself, creating a slight pressure on the top of my ears that accumulate over time.

The headband design was obviously flaw that users can't easily service the elastic themselves. A simple change to the headband design using a something that could flap open to change the elastic rubber, magnetic or even old-fashioned like velcro, would easily fix the problem.

Just found a very unlikely solution but it works beautifully.

Solution: Put ZMF Pilot pad on the top metal frame of the headphones. So, the headband can't move up that much and hence similar to having a new elastic.

It looks a bit uglier though (well, JPS Abyss never looked nice to begin with). But it became so much comfortable again.

DSC_1398.jpg

DSC_1397.jpg

May 23, 2017 at 6:10 AM Post #5,559 of 22,434
Hello,

I agree with the comments here.
The Phi is a very good upgrade for Classical listeners since the upper bandwidth is extended and the trebles have lost some sharpness, are softer.
Very nice for violin tracks :
http://www.qobuz.com/fr-fr/album/re...hilippe-jordan-myung-whun-chung/0825646026838

With the Superconductor cable the sound is really improved in the low register where bass are always deep but more controlled.

YdGo.jpg

May 26, 2017 at 4:00 PM Post #5,560 of 22,434
Hey Guys,

Well, after selling my regular AB-1266’s, I decided, after LOTS of thinking (and I mean lots over months,) to go for the new AB-1266 Phi instead of purchasing the Focal Utopia. I had to be honest with myself in that I love the Abyss sound signature, and would miss the soundstage and bass.

Please note that these are VERY early impressions. The sort that hit you right away, rather than the small subtle differences that you notice over time.

blue box.jpg

Amps used in testing: Wells Audio Headtrip, iFi Micro iCAN SE, iFi Micro iDSD Black Label

DAC’s used in testing: iFi Micro iDSD Black Label, LH Labs GO2A. I don’t have a desktop DAC right now.

inside.jpg

The Phi’s, I’m happy to report, are still an Abyss! They retain everything I liked about the originals, so I’m not disappointed. The soundstage is huge, the bass is big, the mids are better, and the treble is less harsh. They are dynamic, impactful, and percussive, even more so than the originals.

I won’t go into comfort, build quality etc. as they are the same as the originals. Well built to say the least. Strong.

These sound awesome. They improve and add things to the original sound signature that I didn’t know were missing or could be improved on. There is way more detail, especially in the treble.

Bass: Percussive and impactful. Large. Is there more quantity than the originals? So far, I don’t think so. With that being said, I think it extends deeper. The bass is one of my favourite parts of the AB-1266 Phi, there isn’t too much of it (I like bass though) and it isn’t lacking. Its just this enveloping force that punches your ears with great impact. It is bass done right, in my opinion.

Mids: The mids are improved over the originals, there is no question. The Phi’s are not a warm headphone, but they are not a cold headphone either. They straddle the mid point between say….and Audeze and the HD800. The mids are not lush and overbearing. They are a bit more present I think than with the original AB-1266.

Treble: Sometimes the treble on the original AB-1266 could be a bit harsh, not often, but enough that I noticed it sometimes. Some have said the Phi’s treble is rolled off compared to the originals, but I’m not hearing it that way so far. It seems clearer, and perhaps extends more into the stratosphere.

Soundstage: The Phi’s retain the phenomenal soundstage of the originals, which is to say it is still large. It doesn’t sound closed in or congested, there is an airy quality to it.

Imaging: Imaging is improved over the original. Real pin point precision.

Detail: Wow! I’m hearing things I’ve never heard before, even with the original AB-1266. The Phi’s are so detailed. If you want to do critical listening to tracks, you could do a helluva lot worse than the Phi’s. I think these are the most detailed headphones that I have ever heard, and are more detailed than some of the expensive speaker set up’s I have heard. Truly impressive.

CONS OF THE NEW PHI: To my ears, vs the originals, there really aren’t any cons. They just improve on everything I liked about the original AB-1266’s, and add some new stuff I didn’t know could be added. They will expose the hell out of flaws in your system. 128kbps MP3’s need not apply. I can’t wait to upgrade my DAC now, as I know there is even more detail to be had. Feed these greatness and I think you will be astonished at what you hear, feed them less than greatness, and you will hear the flaws with your source. 128kbps MP3’s sound muddy and lack clarity.

All in all, so far, the AB-1266 Phi are a helluva an improvement over the original AB-1266. They are the original AB-1266, but better, in my opinion. More detail, less harsh treble, similar percussive, hard hitting bass, a bit more presence in the mids, an expansive soundstage, and did I mention detail? Oh yeah, tons of detail…..To say I am impressed is an understatement. If you like the original AB-1266, I reckon you will like the Phi's. If you didn't like the original AB-1266, I reckon you wont like the Phi's.

driver.jpg

headphones.jpg

and last but not least, a great song for the new AB-1266 Phi's!

Last edited:
May 27, 2017 at 5:44 PM Post #5,563 of 22,434
DAC is where the resolution is at, cannot believe you stayed this long without a proper standalone DAC.

The Mojo, iFi Micro iDSD BL, and LH Labs GO2A are all pretty capable transportable DAC's. I've sorted my headphones and amp out, DAC is up next on the purchase list. Its a long journey, not a race to the best system you can manage.

Surely no one listens or has mp3s to play through such refined equipment.
It's like modding the Abyss to use as Bluetooth Headphones.

I like to test all the source files I can to see how they sound when I'm testing a headphone. From youtube audio, to spotify, to FLAC's and other lossless formats etc...

May 27, 2017 at 9:24 PM Post #5,564 of 22,434
Surely no one listens or has mp3s to play through such refined equipment.
It's like modding the Abyss to use as Bluetooth Headphones.

I am always amused when i read about people who spend 10s of thousands of dollars on equipment and then listen to MP3

May 27, 2017 at 10:22 PM Post #5,565 of 22,434
CD's aren't much better smiley_abyss1.gif

The Phi will invariably flush out limitations of the source so it's not surprising upgrading DAC and music rez would be a most logical next step.

@ufospls2 - Spot on comparison of original and Phi, and from memory to boot.

Last edited:
ABYSS Headphones We engineer, machine, and build our headphones from scratch in New York, USA. Stay updated on ABYSS Headphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AbyssHeadphones https://twitter.com/AbyssHeadphones https://www.instagram.com/abyssheadphones/ https://abyss-headphones.com/ info@Abyss-Headphones.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back