SONY R10- Is cult statis deserved- or not??
Feb 3, 2005 at 10:22 PM Post #211 of 228
The sonic differences are real. I've heard an older model R10 and a newer, one of the last ones made, side by side out of an EMP. The newer was a better headphone, no doubt...

Feb 3, 2005 at 11:03 PM Post #212 of 228
I also prefer Alex's late-era R10 to the others I've heard, but that may be due to other variables. The only way to truly test such a theory is with multiple R10s (not just 2) with relatively similar hours on 'em (over 500 hours minimum on all headphones) and the exact same source and amplification. This is an interesting theory, nevertheless.

Feb 3, 2005 at 11:42 PM Post #213 of 228
Quote:

Originally Posted by markl
Owning a circa 1991 vintage pair of R10s, and having briefly owned a circa 1999 pair (had to give it back, don't ask, a LOOOONG story), IMO, there is no difference between them. IMO, the differences Canman experienced were due to the differences in the equipment they were attached to, or the difference between his impressions in a different environment under different conditions at different times, his impressions were separated by a while in time, so he's working off memory as a person whose experience with them is down to a few brief encounters. If not, Canman, please correct me.

The R10s are great, and the same no matter what vintage they are (IMHO).

I have listened to the R10 every couple of months or so over about 10 meets. All of the recent encounters before the NY meet were with older production R10s (1989 and 1990). I have heard it in a variety of systems (some repeatedly) and I have always liked the R10 except for the bass dynamics. Look at it this way, when I listened in NY (and I listened for awhile the night before the meet and as bozebuttons said the R10 was glued to my head for most of the NY meet) the fault that had previously prevented me from wanting to own the R10 was not there anymore. I'm sure you are more familiar with the R10 than I am, but I am pretty convinced that the R10 I heard was different. Perhaps the change occurred after 1999?

Feb 5, 2005 at 4:34 PM Post #214 of 228
Well after reading this thread, it is final. The R 10 is still The King!
biggrin.gif
Just kidding. Anyone know how many R 10s were made? The number on the side of mine says 1083 and I bought in the spring of 2003.

Feb 5, 2005 at 7:09 PM Post #215 of 228
Quote:

Originally Posted by CD44hi
The sonic differences are real. I've heard an older model R10 and a newer, one of the last ones made, side by side out of an EMP. The newer was a better headphone, no doubt...

Probable, but not conclusive. I think one of the main differences may be that the newer model is more efficient. Not necessarily different sounding, but also not a huge current-sucker at low frequencies. This makes the newer ones a much more forgiving headphone, but not necessarily better.

I heard the same differences as you with EMP, and was looking for them at the NY meet (steeling myself to go out and try to find a recent production R10). However, the sound everyone was raving about was the same sound I've been listening to since I got a good amp for the R10. I remember someone handing me an R10 with an enthusiastic "listen to this!" and loved the sound, but it was the sound I hear every day. It was enough so that I didn't feel a need to go out and replace my older R10 (which I had been seriously contemplating). Differences in the low end might have been present, but were very subtle if they were there at all.

Mind you, I think that there are differences in R10 vintages, but am not sure just how significant they are, yet.

Feb 5, 2005 at 7:46 PM Post #216 of 228
Hum... About the (basic, fundamental) characteristic sonic signature of a MDR-R10, I agree, it was present in all of the three pairs of headphones (2 older, one newer) I heard that day. [By sonic signature of the R10 I mean the great spatial distribution of instruments, gives oustanding 3D definition] However, everytime I switched to the newer R10s everything sounded more fuller and more defined, much more textured sound. Including the base of course.

I guess if someone wants to "really" explore this further, one ought to set a gathering with several pairs of R10s, newer and older ones, to make a more rigorous evaluation. Although, again to my ears, the differences that day were not minor. This obviously needs to be done with the headphones side by side.

Feb 5, 2005 at 11:46 PM Post #217 of 228
At the May NYC meet...let's compare mine (2003), Stevieo's, Hirsch's (early circa), and Tom's. We can use the same source and a variety of music, and report back on theses findings.

Work should be so much fun, eh?

Feb 5, 2005 at 11:57 PM Post #218 of 228
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker
At the May NYC meet...let's compare mine (2003), Stevieo's, Hirsch's (early circa), and Tom's. We can use the same source and a variety of music, and report back on theses findings.

Work should be so much fun, eh?

Mine was made 2002.

Feb 6, 2005 at 7:48 PM Post #219 of 228
Now I'm sure that everyone knows that Sony themselves STATE that the R10 drivers should be OK for 10 years.

Do they self destruct after 10 years? I don't know.

From what other R10 owners have told - I believe that the drivers are sensitive to humidity and this coupled with natural ageing could cause a problem.

--Jatinder

May 14, 2005 at 1:09 AM Post #220 of 228
The fact that people are still wonting for the headphones 10 years after initial production and a year after its discontinuation is proof enough of cult status. Add to that the performance still places it within most peoples top 5, they have to do something right....

Expecting a headphone rig to duplicate what a true full range 2 channel system can is prepostorous.... Room interaction is one of the cornerstones of a two channel system and within the ear there is no where near enough air to provide truly great bass response. Additionally, there is a physical sensation of the vibrations on your body that headphones cannot recreate....

Don't get me wrong, I very much enjoy my Maestro/R10 combo and listen to it frequently, but I equate it more to listening to mini-monitors as opposed to my pair of full range speakers...

Admittedly, I have limited experieance with a variety of cans, a pair of W2002 that never come out of their box anymore is my only real comparison. The Sony's just present a more musical experience across the whole bandwidth as opposed to the upper frequency focus of the ATs. There is tremendous inner detail and surprising amounts of air/separation between instruments. The bass is not thunderous, but is well defined and powerful enough to keep the presentation engaging. That is after all what we are doing is trying to get closer to the music....

I got mine in summer/fall '04 with serial #1172. Koji said one of his last 2 pair, so I'm guessing less than 2000 were made

I'm dreading their 10 year anniversary when they spontaneously combust....
biggrin.gif

Rhodyavphile

May 14, 2005 at 3:57 AM Post #221 of 228
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhodyavphile
The fact that people are still wonting for the headphones 10 years after initial production and a year after its discontinuation is proof enough of cult status. Add to that the performance still places it within most peoples top 5, they have to do something right....

I got mine in summer/fall '04 with serial #1172. Koji said one of his last 2 pair, so I'm guessing less than 2000 were made

Rhodyavphile

I would guess that around 1200 were made. Mine has serial #1186 also made in 2004.

The R10 has brought me closer to the music than any other headphone. It is truly something special. The Singlepower amps and the R10 happen to be a special combo -- I haven't heard the R10 sound equal or better than with a Maestro or a Supra SDS, except of course with Tom's modded Cary 300sei.

May 14, 2005 at 1:52 PM Post #222 of 228
If the drivers last 10 years, that's like a $400/year lease. You might as well use them, as often as possible, to get your money's worth
cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back