SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 22, 2017 at 10:42 PM Post #13,022 of 45,723
@Whitigir how would you deal with warranty issues if they appear (hope not)?
Warranty what ? I bought mine on Christmas....and it is July now. What possibly can go wrong that I can't fix :D , I have the service manual here too ... unless broken screen or parts need replacements. Until then I will only need to buy those parts and replace it.

Jul 22, 2017 at 11:31 PM Post #13,023 of 45,723
Wish someone stand out for changing internal cable of wm1a, so we could create wm1z with affordable price, just kidding but maybe it could

The difference between the WM1A and the 1Z is more than just internal wires, there are component differences like different capacitors and resistors as well.

Jul 22, 2017 at 11:42 PM Post #13,024 of 45,723
The difference between the WM1A and the 1Z is more than just internal wires, there are component differences like different capacitors and resistors as well.

Yes, exactly. Upgrading the wires inside wm1A is an upgrade, but yet the other components inside the WM1Z is superior, Capacitors, resistors, copper gold chassis. To have the best of Sony, I guess that gotta be WM1Z fully unleashed with "properly upgraded wires"

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2017 at 11:52 PM Post #13,025 of 45,723
:triportsad:
I don't want to sound like I am hyping up anything, or encouraging anyone to modify their WM1Z/A for the matter, but the improvements from upgrading the inner wires are pretty good.

The Wm1Z gains a bit of performances when I upgraded the inner wires. After 20 hours burning-in, these wires will take up to 150 hours to finalizes but so far it is very impressive and positive.

First and most obvious one is the soundstage: the width was very narrow and seems a bit constricted in comparison to the depth and the vertical senses before, now it is more opened and widened. In the spaces that it gains, there are details from treble extensions and fine nuances details such as decays and timbres ....reverberated ...

Next up is the bass: the timbres are much more realistic, more defined, it is actually jaw dropping realistic. It was never lacking of this tonal body, but now it seems more realistic as the tonal body gains more dynamic and energy. Bass is dense, thick, tightened where it needed be, and blooming Sub bass when called out. Those projected bass lines in the back are now carrying more energies and dynamic within it timbres. Sub bass has more energy and is more rumbling

Vocal: vocal is still upfront and intimidating, but the vibrations are more defined, smooth, sweet, and carry more emotions

Treble: treble extends more and has more details, these nuances details which was drown out and almost missing before, now is surfacing more obviously. This result in a more airy and speedy treble. Still very smooth and no harshness or sibilant

All in all, without nitpicking, the improvements gained: widen soundstage, more details in treble, more emotion and realistic timbres. It surely take Wm1z performances up another notch, now I would be very interested in comparing the best of my WM1Z to some other current top tier DAPs in similar price ranges.

Now, why did I mentioned that it did not gain as much performances VS the works performed before ? That is because it really did take a bit of work to have the job done Properly and have a "properly" upgraded wires done.

This was observed with my Utopia and upgraded wires for the Utopia.

Not that I have the chops to do what you did, I am curious though why Sony didn't do these themselves to begin with.. they invested so much time and money to improve Sony wm1z and cheaped out on wires?..for $3200 device I am hoping they would have made a conscious decision to make sure all components are top notch.. or is it by design to have s special Sony sound.. anyway it is cool you are tinkering to get most out of Sony wm1z for rest of us we have to settle with what they gave:triportsad:

Pc

Jul 22, 2017 at 11:59 PM Post #13,026 of 45,723
:triportsad:

Not that I have the chops to do what you did, I am curious though why Sony didn't do these themselves to begin with.. they invested so much time and money to improve Sony wm1z and cheaped out on wires?..for $3200 device I am hoping they would have made a conscious decision to make sure all components are top notch.. or is it by design to have s special Sony sound.. anyway it is cool you are tinkering to get most out of Sony wm1z for rest of us we have to settle with what they gave:triportsad:

Pc

Well, Kimber cables are good, and it is better than stock cables as a matter of fact. Ofcourse Sony made it to be better than it sibling, the WM1A is inferior. It is not like Sony cheap out on wires, but they did what they could to make it outperforming the WM1A, and it did from technical standpoint and while sound signature can be subjective. These upgrade wires that I gave to WM1Z is just the next level upgrade. The same as headphones and stock cables. There are always possibilities to upgrades.

Sony did what they could to make Wm1z a superior to Wm1a, and so the prices is also different. As far as sound performance being subjective, there gotta be some objectives that the whole Sony team agreed to price the Wm1z this way and technically speaking It is superior.

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2017 at 10:30 AM Post #13,027 of 45,723
Interesting to see others modding the wires on their DAPs. It is my opinion that these players have a lot more to give than their stock wiring lets on.

On a related note, it's heartening to see that the 4.4mm plug market has really expanded - Furutech has finally released their 4.4mm connector: 20258146_1696787803964290_6016891133176579175_n.jpg

And I've gone ahead and replaced my Pentaconn OFC plug (which has worn so heavily that the raw copper is visible) with a much more compact Bispa OFC connector: IMG_8196.JPG Loving this, as I pocket my 1Z everywhere I go (yes, I'm used to the weight and heft, it doesn't bother me at all) and the much more compact barrel fits much better in jeans.

Jul 23, 2017 at 10:34 AM Post #13,028 of 45,723
Interesting to see others modding the wires on their DAPs. It is my opinion that these players have a lot more to give than their stock wiring lets on.

On a related note, it's heartening to see that the 4.4mm plug market has really expanded - Furutech has finally released their 4.4mm connector:

And I've gone ahead and replaced my Pentaconn OFC plug (which has worn so heavily that the raw copper is visible) with a much more compact Bispa OFC connector: Loving this, as I pocket my 1Z everywhere I go (yes, I'm used to the weight and heft, it doesn't bother me at all) and the much more compact barrel fits much better in jeans.

thanks for teh update, do you know if the Furutech 4.4mm are already on sale in the US and where I can find them?

Jul 23, 2017 at 12:03 PM Post #13,029 of 45,723
What about 4.4 females? I would like a 4.4 to 4 pin XLR adapter cable (high quality) to use my Z1R/Axios cable with my Moon 430 amplifier.

It would also be nice to have a 4.4 to 3.5mm to user with a Mojo/Hugo

Jul 23, 2017 at 1:15 PM Post #13,031 of 45,723

On a related note, it's heartening to see that the 4.4mm plug market has really expanded - Furutech has finally released their 4.4mm connector:

And I've gone ahead and replaced my Pentaconn OFC plug (which has worn so heavily that the raw copper is visible) with a much more compact Bispa OFC connector: Loving this, as I pocket my 1Z everywhere I go (yes, I'm used to the weight and heft, it doesn't bother me at all) and the much more compact barrel fits much better in jeans.

It is very true, the stock Kimber can be upgraded with great result.

Now, the Furutech is awesome, hopefully it comes to the US as soon as possible. They do look to be rhodium or palladium plated ?

Jul 24, 2017 at 12:05 AM Post #13,035 of 45,723
What about 4.4 females? I would like a 4.4 to 4 pin XLR adapter cable (high quality) to use my Z1R/Axios cable with my Moon 430 amplifier.

It would also be nice to have a 4.4 to 3.5mm to user with a Mojo/Hugo

I'm still looking for a 4.4mm female too. Need a 4.4mm female to 2.5mm male.

Musashino Label has 4.4mm female to 3.5mm SE and 2.5mm BAL conversion cables on sale.
http://www.cmpg.co.jp/musashino/2544p1/conversion cable.html

Should be easy to convert the 2.5mm BAL to XLR
If you use a proxy you can order them from e-earphone which has them in stock.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back