1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A

Discussion in 'Portable Source Gear' started by leylandi, Jul 30, 2016.
First

Back
861 862 863 864 865 866 867 868 869 870
872 873 874 875 876 877 878 879 880 881
Next

Last
  1. nc8000 Contributor
    Oh I'm sure there are differences I'm sure I would be able to tell them but not 3 times and from reading this thread there are people who actually prefer the 1A signature over the 1Z signature so each person making the choice really needs to listen to both if possible

2. Sarnia
    I'm still burning my WM1Z in, about 3 days to go before I will compare them.

Last night I was listening to the Pioneer Se-Master 1 via balanced from the WM1Z. My jaw dropped at how good the synergy was. Simply awesome. They are by far the easiest to drive headphones that I have, and play great with poorer recordings too, which some of my others don't.

The WM1A is very, very good, but my initial feeling is that the WM1Z adds enough that the weight difference is worth it. I got a great deal though, I don't think I could justify three times the price given my limited portable listening.

3. Witcher
    Thanks. I'm looking for a dap, but the 1A/1Z are too costly to make a mistake over. Maybe the new A40 or the ZX300 might suit better.

4. gerelmx1986
    Most of my music is from CDs I purchased or my dad gave me, css I ripped from uni library (hope that is not considered stealing) and ripping from the extensive collection of my boyfriend

5. nc8000 Contributor
    What you are allowed to rip depends on the law of the country where you live. In Denmark you deffinitely are not allowed to rip cd's borrowed be it from friends or library. In some countries you are not even allowed to rip cd's you own

6. gerelmx1986
    For out of print CD I do use questionable sources as last resort (first try to source Amazon. Or qobuz)

7. bana
    Nanoholic,
    If you are of a certain age and a lover of music, all genres, your collection of legal music, (CD, records) far exceeds the space provided with a microSD slot. $30K music collection is not outside the realm of possibility. You start with one CD, forty years later you have one room full.
    There must be some technical reason why an SD slot is not considered, do you know?

8. azabu
    The difference is immediately apparent, the 1Z has a reference, natural and organic presentation. I have the 1A and do wish I purchased the 1Z.

I could swear the 1Z is a re-badged Accuphase.

audionewbi likes this.
  9. Whitigir
    I am not not familiar with accuphase , But yes, you summed up the Wm1z overall signature

10. mw7485
    If you look at the maintenance manual there doesn't appear to be much room in there. @Whitgir has obviously "been inside" and could probably comment with some authority, but I suspect its 80% space considerations that prevented full sized SD cards being used. Shame, as A&K are starting to really push the storage boundaries with their new player, and I can see that being a deciding factor for some.

11. Whitigir
    Lol...no...I never been inside it :D. But it is true that space was really a technical issue to have larger SD to fit in. Though, how could I ever max out 512Gb of memory...idk...lol. I do know there are a few with vast library but I must say....probably only a few :D

Quadfather likes this.
  12. Quadfather
    I have a 512gb SD card in my Lotoo Paw Gold Diana and there are MANY folders/files I have NEVER listened to. It's not even full yet.

13. audionewbi
    Yes people focus too much on the cable and capacitor but no the f-resistors which 1Z uses. I think the resistor used in 1Z make the more significant difference. I do wonder what will happen if one can change the clocks on the walkman.

Overkill Red likes this.
  14. Sleepow
    For library size, and I know this is only a minority, but quad DSD eats up space like the is no tomorrow.
    I only have a handful of albums, but at 15gb each...

15. gerelmx1986
    Sony could use the unused "wasted" space in the left side of the walkman to add a nother microSD slot or a full sized SD slot

First

Back
861 862 863 864 865 866 867 868 869 870
872 873 874 875 876 877 878 879 880 881
Next

Last