SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 21, 2017 at 10:04 AM Post #12,991 of 45,723
Great finding, yes it is for the WM1Z, they did it in a special way. But what about the wires from those cables. My main reason to avoid anything plated is just that, the prime layer in between. The reason why I adopted the Sony style of Z1R stock cables is because it did sound good, and much better than any typical Plated wires and cables I came across. So I adopted it :). However, pure materials are always better than Plated wires.

Well internal wiring of 1Z is by Kimber and is pure copper, all the other Sony Kimber cables are also pure copper. Sony themselves seems to prefer silver-plated copper. The plugs are all gold-plated, so I don't think any of them uses nickel.

Jul 21, 2017 at 1:44 PM Post #12,995 of 45,723
This is not for the faint of heart, but....I did something. This makes Wm1z to truly be exotic in and out. Wires are 99% pure silver and 1% gold. It is 21AWG per polarity, even larger than Sony stock Kimber....now time to enjoy even more!

IMG_1675.JPG

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2017 at 2:15 PM Post #12,997 of 45,723
This is not for the faint of heart, but....I did something. This makes Wm1z to truly be exotic in and out. Wires are 99% pure silver and 1% gold. It is 21AWG per polarity, even larger than Sony stock Kimber....now time to enjoy even more!

Now thats IS commitment! Much change to the sound signature?

Jul 21, 2017 at 2:18 PM Post #12,998 of 45,723
Now thats IS commitment! Much change to the sound signature?

Much ? Nah...not for how much works it needed....LoL! Ofcourse it can't change the Wm1z from what it is .... probably 5% improvements
Changes ? Yeah, and if you are OCD on exotic wires and materials or improvements to the 1z at all....this is the only way :)

Jul 21, 2017 at 2:22 PM Post #12,999 of 45,723
I was able to demo the Wm1z with my new JH Roxanne CIEMs today - the Roxannes are new so I guess a lot of hours yet to burn in fully but even so I loved the warmth of the big bronze brick if not it's heft

I know that the aluminium version has a smaller internal memory and is half the weight - could I expect a similarly warm sound signature or is it a more neutral player ?

Jul 21, 2017 at 2:27 PM Post #13,000 of 45,723
Whitigir,
how did you open/remove the back from theWM1Z? I suspect using a thermo gun, am I right? Is this operation highly critical?....What about when you assemble it back, no trace of the intrusion?
I'm planning to upgrade to WM1Z from my loved ZX2 and have some ideas to experiment to push up the SQ........

PS....great job, well done!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back