So, the Objective2 headphone amp - designed entirely around the measurements? (PLEASE READ RULES BEFORE POSTING)
Nov 3, 2011 at 9:25 PM Post #1,006 of 1,042

Quote:
The LM4562 and LME49720 are the same part and both have slightly better specs on paper

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/National-Semiconductor-TI/LME49720NA-NOPB/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMtCHixnSjNA6M%252bbBaCn4IWbp9Mxv9qzvug%3d

I made a similar suggestion over on DIYA to someone who is op amp rolling for fun.  But it is unlikely to improve anything since the output stage numbers would predominate, as the designer mentioned somewhere along the way.  Also - this is just for the gain stage op-amp (the NJM2068).  I'm not aware of anything that would effectively replace the output stage NJM4556 op amp in DIP8 format.  That one is kind of a unique beast given the current capability.

FWIW the LME49860 is also the same part as the 4652/49720 but with slightly higher +/-22V max rails.

Thanks for the response. I also ordered up some SOIC-8 to DIP-8 adapters so if there is something better that is not DIP-8, I'll try it. I'll try anything, I'll even do what NwAvGuy says NOT to do, (largely because he said not to) cuz I'm craaaaaazy.

DIY, learning lifes lessons the hard way, one exploded op amp at a time! 

Nov 3, 2011 at 11:46 PM Post #1,008 of 1,042

Quote:
So what's the next version after the desktop and what upgrades will it have?

Monkey, I'm must be out of the loop, but I thought one of the main concepts behind this amp was the KISS principle - that doesn't tie in too well with multiple 'versions' (as opposed to DiYer 'variations'). I believe nwavguy originally told those who wanted a 'desktop' version to simply omit the battery enclosure  - that seems to have changed, but I havent seen any reference to a 'Super-Deluxe Limited Edition O2' - happy to hear otherwise.

Nov 4, 2011 at 12:32 AM Post #1,009 of 1,042

Quote:
Monkey, I'm must be out of the loop, but I thought one of the main concepts behind this amp was the KISS principle - that doesn't tie in too well with multiple 'versions' (as opposed to DiYer 'variations'). I believe nwavguy originally told those who wanted a 'desktop' version to simply omit the battery enclosure  - that seems to have changed, but I havent seen any reference to a 'Super-Deluxe Limited Edition O2' - happy to hear otherwise.

Yes, we share the same understanding.  But with each mention of the "desktop" version, it seems to get a little bit "better."

Nov 4, 2011 at 2:01 AM Post #1,010 of 1,042

Quote:
Yes, we share the same understanding.  But with each mention of the "desktop" version, it seems to get a little bit "better."

Could have something to do with there only being second hand information on here. One feather becoming five hens and all that.
As for getting the information first hand, I haven't seen him much on diyA the last few weeks. Wonder what he's up to?

Nov 4, 2011 at 2:09 AM Post #1,011 of 1,042
From my dodgy memory, the overloading input stage will be fixed, and he's shoving some relays in to protect the headphones from the harmless dc offset. The board layout should be a little better as well, possibly leading to better measurements.

Nov 4, 2011 at 2:16 PM Post #1,012 of 1,042
I ordered the WAU16-400 PSU and yes, there are major improvements when driving high impedance phones like HD650. The sound is more to the 650's typical sound signature now, a little more bass, fuller midrange, more cohesive in the mids, big improvements on rock/pop types of music.

Nov 4, 2011 at 4:23 PM Post #1,016 of 1,042
From what my basic understanding of circuits can gather, the wallwart outputs AC current that gets turned into + and - DC voltage rails anyway, through a bunch of caps and smooth out the voltage already. Regulated power supplies seem to output direct current, which isn't what the O2 uses.

Nov 4, 2011 at 6:16 PM Post #1,019 of 1,042

Quote:

The powersupply is regulated, it would have been a catastrophy if it wasn't.

Please don't post as if you have a clue when you obviously don't.

Admittedly, I don't know anything about it. But I think your brain is glitching there bud, I didn't say it had a regulated or unregulated power supply. ???

Nov 4, 2011 at 6:45 PM Post #1,020 of 1,042

Quote:
Admittedly, I don't know anything about it. But I think your brain is glitching there bud, I didn't say it had a regulated or unregulated power supply. ???

Quote:
Quote:
francisdemarte said:

Why are unregulated wall warts being recommended for the build? Wouldn't a regulated power supply be better? 

I think it's purely a price thing, taken to an extreme.

I don't see how else to understad it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back