So How Much DOES a DAC/Amp Improve iPhone Output - Some Experiments
Jul 27, 2017 at 3:22 AM Post #31 of 35
@Slaphead

I use my Beyer t1 right into my macbook and it sounds fantastic. As good as anything I've heard. 600 ohms. Plenty of volume on hand. Riddle me that one :)

OK, when I say Apple device, I really mean iToy, at least within the context of my previous post.

The computers generally have far more powerful amplifiers in order to drive speakers - my aging 2011 iMac delivers 17 Watts per channel. That said I'm not sure how much of that power is available through the HP jack, but it could explain why you have no issues with your 600Ω T1s from your MacBook.

iToys on the other hand are limited to approx 1V RMS at the headphone Jack as far as I'm aware (0.5 V in Europe), and therefore likely lack the necessary voltage swing needed to drive high impedance headphones effectively - even sensitive high impedance HPs. The iPad may have a higher output however, though I'm not sure.

All of that aside, there's really no argument about the general audio quality from Apple gear.

Aug 1, 2017 at 8:08 AM Post #32 of 35
OK, when I say Apple device, I really mean iToy, at least within the context of my previous post.

The computers generally have far more powerful amplifiers in order to drive speakers - my aging 2011 iMac delivers 17 Watts per channel. That said I'm not sure how much of that power is available through the HP jack, but it could explain why you have no issues with your 600Ω T1s from your MacBook.

iToys on the other hand are limited to approx 1V RMS at the headphone Jack as far as I'm aware (0.5 V in Europe), and therefore likely lack the necessary voltage swing needed to drive high impedance headphones effectively - even sensitive high impedance HPs. The iPad may have a higher output however, though I'm not sure.

All of that aside, there's really no argument about the general audio quality from Apple gear.

Where did you get that 17 Watts per channel figure? There is no way that is correct. The power consumption and heat would be astronomical.

I have an iPhone 6, and while it does quite well with IEMs, there are some, like the Campfire Vegas, which are clearly more resolving with better gear, like a Mojo, to the point I consider them a "don't buy" if you're going to just use them out of an iPhone.

Aug 1, 2017 at 9:49 AM Post #33 of 35
Where did you get that 17 Watts per channel figure? There is no way that is correct. The power consumption and heat would be astronomical.

I have an iPhone 6, and while it does quite well with IEMs, there are some, like the Campfire Vegas, which are clearly more resolving with better gear, like a Mojo, to the point I consider them a "don't buy" if you're going to just use them out of an iPhone.

Here - https://support.apple.com/kb/sp623?locale=en_GB

The amps are class D, so are incredibly efficient (in excess of 90%) with virtually no heat dissipation at 17 watts.

Aug 1, 2017 at 7:37 PM Post #34 of 35
That's going to be for the speakers. 17W into headphones = blown drivers and eardrums.

Aug 6, 2017 at 10:45 PM Post #35 of 35
CLOSED.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back