SMSL iDEA portable dac+amp
Jul 20, 2017 at 9:11 AM Post #46 of 544
That's strange. Try to change to something else other than "charging".

I'm really enjoying this SMSL DAC/AMP device. The HF Player up sampling to DSD is truly a GEM!

Jul 20, 2017 at 9:22 AM Post #47 of 544
I also tested Audio Source, MIDI, Media Transfer Protocol... buzz all around. There seems to be no way to get around this buzzing...

Jul 20, 2017 at 9:53 AM Post #48 of 544
So far I tested with Huawei, Samsung, Nexus, Meizu, Xiaomi and LG devices. All worked well.

Jul 20, 2017 at 10:31 AM Post #50 of 544
Jul 20, 2017 at 10:39 AM Post #51 of 544
So far I tested with Huawei, Samsung, Nexus, Meizu, Xiaomi and LG devices. All worked well.
Feeling unlucky that my Motorola is not in that list...

Jul 20, 2017 at 3:20 PM Post #52 of 544
Ok thought i would add my pennies worth.. Just got my SMSL Idea, and wow the sounds it clean precise well balanced and the bass is clean and punchy. really changed the sound of my music drastically.. i have totally fallen in love with my collection again ! I cant stress how much i love this little bit of kit. The only gripe i might have is when i try to run spotify i have switch the default device to a different audio out put then back again to get it to register it. Sound wise it is beautiful and i love it. literally it is clean present detailed and changed my headphones into something mesmerising to listen to. unbelievable. love it

and no i am not a sales rep lol.

Love my intimate music experience

Daniel

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2017 at 7:21 AM Post #54 of 544
Best price at massdrop ?

Yes, right now it is the best price around, but I have seen the prices going down on Amazon as well, so definitely worth a follow.

Jul 22, 2017 at 3:30 PM Post #57 of 544
@hotteen

I spent a few hours listening to the Idea paired with the flc8s on both my laptop (linux) and my desktop (os x), and I have to say I'm impressed.
Black background with a crisp, clean sound. Compared to the output from iphone 5 se, the Idea is not vastly different, just subtly so.
In particular, I noticed that I could push the Idea to louder volumes with better clarity. I also appreciate the finer volume control that can be achieved (vs laptop, desktop, phone volume).

IMO, a great little device.

Jul 22, 2017 at 9:17 PM Post #58 of 544
@hotteen

I spent a few hours listening to the Idea paired with the flc8s on both my laptop (linux) and my desktop (os x), and I have to say I'm impressed.
Black background with a crisp, clean sound. Compared to the output from iphone 5 se, the Idea is not vastly different, just subtly so.
In particular, I noticed that I could push the Idea to louder volumes with better clarity. I also appreciate the finer volume control that can be achieved (vs laptop, desktop, phone volume).

IMO, a great little device.
What other reference dac and amonyou have ?

Jul 24, 2017 at 10:00 AM Post #59 of 544
What other reference dac and amonyou have ?

I tried a Dragonfly Black for a time, but was put off by a constant, low-level hiss. This was present even in the absence of input (nothing playing).
Perhaps the unit I had was defective in some way, or maybe the noise-filtering circuitry of the Idea is superior. I don't know...
I also recall the DFB producing sound that was indistinguishable, to my ears, from that of my iphone (with flc8s).
The experience was somewhat disappointing. Nothing that a painless return to Amazon could not solve, though :wink:

Jul 24, 2017 at 10:33 AM Post #60 of 544
I listen to my Idea through IEMs mostly and connected directly to a notebook USB port, no special filters or cables. No background noise at all.
The clarity and resolution of this device is really impressive.

Archimago has measurements of the Dragonfly Black compared to Idea and other dac+amp dongles. Indeed DFB is the noisiest of them.
http://archimago.blogspot.com.br/2017/06/measurements-audioquest-dragonfly-black.html

24-96%2BComposite.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back