Size Matters - Earpad hole measurements for Over-ear Headphones....
Sep 17, 2015 at 3:42 AM Post #76 of 147
Thanks for all the replies, helps a lot. I think I'm moving towards the 650s and put up with a bit of ear folding. Another option could be the Phillips fidelio x2 but change the pads for HM5s. I have seen on other forums this can be done but then paying the money then having to mess around with them after is a bit annoying. Probably worth mentioning they will be purely for home listening through a synology NAS and dac. Mainly listen to radio head, Clark, blanc mass, thom yorke, electronic and indie. Also don't want too much sound leakage as my wife often complains with my current headphones (akg 451) which I find too claustrophobic

Sep 17, 2015 at 4:56 AM Post #77 of 147
I sold the HD650 becouse the pads are not wide and deep enough for my ears. My ears were cramped inside.

DT 770 velour pads are fine.
Beyer phone with the biggest earpads are the DT150, allthough I wish they were  wider.
Shure 1540 Alcantare pads are also ok with my ears, as are the old HM5 pleather pads.

Sep 20, 2015 at 3:07 PM Post #78 of 147
For me, it is more about the depth than anything [my right ear sticks out slightly] and then the plushness and firmness of the pads.
Examples of comfy pads - HiFiMAN Focus pads [the A version not so much for me], Mr. Speakers Ether pads, Philips Fidelio pads,AKG K701/2 angled pads [not the standard pad for K612/7XX], Shure SRH1540 [Alcantara] are just Ok.
So a few pads where my ears don't touch the drivers, because if they do that's a deal breaker.
Cheers 
beerchug.gif

Sep 20, 2015 at 6:01 PM Post #79 of 147
So I decided to take the plunge and bought the fidelity x2 phones. Best decision I could have made the pads fit perfectly due to the foam moulding around my ear. Didn't need the hm5 pads and not even sure how I would ever stretch them over, not to mention that the edges of the pad would look a bit naff. Also these phones sound amazing so very happy. Good fit with my ifi idac2

Sep 22, 2015 at 2:06 AM Post #80 of 147
So I decided to take the plunge and bought the fidelity x2 phones. Best decision I could have made the pads fit perfectly due to the foam moulding around my ear. Didn't need the hm5 pads and not even sure how I would ever stretch them over, not to mention that the edges of the pad would look a bit naff. Also these phones sound amazing so very happy. Good fit with my ifi idac2

Awesome! Mind providing your own measurements for the internal dimensions of the X2 earpads? It's nice to have multiple data points.

Sep 27, 2015 at 7:13 PM Post #81 of 147
TL;DR literal hole measurements are not the final thing that you need to know, there might be a ton of space for your ear inside. Also, try HiFiMans.

A small update.

I've sold my HD650 to get an HE-400i to start my move to planars. Initially, after examining the charts here, I was under an impression that I will have to replace stock earpads with something like HM5 pads. Not true.

In fact, the HE-400i, and, probably, all new HiFiMans, are the most comfortable headphone I have ever owned. Excluding IEMs, but that's a different story. They are way, way better than HD6xx Senns. For some reason, ears just fit inside, I guess there is a ton of space between the point where the earpad hole ends and where the earpad connects to the cup. My huge ears just fit. Recommended! Also very light and comfortable. 

And the sound, of course.. HE-400i outclasses HD6xx; the fan reviews are on point. Detail, instrument separation and low-end. 

Oct 14, 2015 at 10:23 PM Post #83 of 147
Bump

I'm looking for suggestions on a set that will surround my entire ear. I'd also like to find a set with a single-exit cable and between $50-$100. For reference, the ear cups should be bigger than those on my ATH-M20x set, as those press against the bottom of my ear lobe and the top edges of my ear. TYIA.

Oct 15, 2015 at 4:06 PM Post #85 of 147
  Bump

I'm looking for suggestions on a set that will surround my entire ear. I'd also like to find a set with a single-exit cable and between $50-$100. For reference, the ear cups should be bigger than those on my ATH-M20x set, as those press against the bottom of my ear lobe and the top edges of my ear. TYIA.

Brainwavz HM5 is what comes to mind.

Jan 5, 2016 at 11:17 PM Post #86 of 147
This thread needs some love. As a member of the large, stick-out ears club, this thread is invaluable.

Contributing:

Brand: Philips
Model: SHP9500
Inner Width: 54mm
Inner Height: 75mm
Inner Height: 17-18mm
Notes: My ears stick out way further than 17-18mm, but the comfort is still quite good because the clamp force is so low.
These things are huge.

Jan 6, 2016 at 5:44 AM Post #87 of 147
This thread needs some love. As a member of the large, stick-out ears club, this thread is invaluable.

Contributing:

Brand: Philips
Model: SHP9500
Inner Width: 54mm
Inner Height: 75mm
Inner Height Depth: 17-18mm
Notes: My ears stick out way further than 17-18mm, but the comfort is still quite good because the clamp force is so low.
These things are huge.

:D Thanks for the contribution!

Feb 12, 2016 at 2:59 PM Post #88 of 147
Contributing:

Brand: Sennheiser
Model: HD 558
Inner Width: 40mm
Inner Height: 70mm
Inner Depth: 22mm
Inner Depth (stick out bit): 19mm
Like most Sennheisers, somewhat clampy. Can be loosened a bit by stretching over a box for a while.
My ears also touch the stick-out bit, but the vast majority shouldn't have that problem.

I should also have actual Fidelio x2 pad measurements coming next week. 
wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back