Shanling M2s Hi-Res DAP with AK4490 + MUSE8920, Bluetooth, & USB Out
Jul 20, 2017 at 9:12 AM Post #1,294 of 2,460
It works. I am using exactly that. Why wouldn't it work?
Besten Dank :wink:

I read in other "DAP threads" that certain 256GB cards for instance don´t work with the thread related device (although the DAP should be able to accept cards until 256GB).

Hence I wanted to assure that it works with that card before I pull the trigger :wink:

Jul 20, 2017 at 5:16 PM Post #1,295 of 2,460
I have helped quite a few guys at the Shanling booth with any questions they had about this great player. Was good to see many being sold and new happy owners.
I can't recommend any other music player at this price point, so Shanling did a wonderful job delivering so many features in a small player that's affordable to anyone.

It was so nice to meet you! And thanks for all the help, sometimes with 5-6 slots at table, it can be tricky for our 2 person team to spend enough attention on all interested audiophiles :wink:

But was tough to catch up with all the daily work and get chance to back here on forums.

Any update on this yet? The M2s is proving to be a fantastic little device and I'd love to be able to make some themes for it

Still planned, will seek some update for you.

Then look at something like the iDSD BL. You're not gonna find that type of quality in a DAP...not yet anyways. But, having said that, the M2s is GREAT as a stand alone, as well as a source for using an external DAC like the iDSD or Mojo

I really like iDSD BL. Folks from iFi also stopped by our booth and Canjam and we tried how smoothly M2s works as transport for iDSD BL!

realized today the M2s doesn't pause playback when you unplug your earphones. Maybe to be considered for future FW

Well, are you sure about this? Because both of my M2s both pauses automatically after I unplug headphones.

trying to use my M2S with Hugo 2 apt-x

is there no way to get the M2S to output line-level when using BT? i have “LO” chosen in the settings but the volume knob still affects the output

alternatively, what volume # setting would be good for line out?

sounds great though!

For theoretically highest sounds quality, put volume on maximum while using bluetooth to such device.

What's the changelog on fw 1.20, can´t find any info besides the polish and german languages fixs.

Yeah, that's it, 1.2 wasn't that big udpate.

Hi guys,
I have a problem after new firmware update. My screen when turned off (screensaver) and I want wake up the screen I have seen nothing. I mean I seen something similar like on the TV when no signal. After switching off and back again on it's working, but as soon the screensaver turns on the issue repeat itself. I have upgraded twice the firmware and I went from the 1.10 firmware. Oh, and sometimes the screen working fine. Any idea @Shanling what cause this problem?

Will report to our engineers to see what can be the problem.

Guys,

is anybody using a Sandisk 200GB card with the M2s? Just curious if that works or not..

Thanks in advance.

Using it in my units, working nicely.

And sorry guys for slow download speed at our website, I put file on google drive as soon as possible, but this time it took me little while. If you are still looking up for upgrade, here is our link:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bz_m_D8_7ujLZXBRRXh1cnZxeGM/view?usp=sharing

Changes:
1) HiBY link is now officially released
2) Added fade-in and fade-out feature
3) Added lowpass filter setting - steep or gradual
4) Few tweaks to visual design of UI, including immersing status bar
5) Few translaltions corrections
6) Fixes for different small bugs

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Jul 20, 2017 at 9:42 PM Post #1,298 of 2,460
@Shanling I'm having problems upgrading the firmware from ver 1.2 to 2.10

I copied the update.upt file to the root directory of the memory card, from System Settings/System Upgrade, clicked the little tick mark in the circle, I hear, what sounds like a reed switch click, the screen blanks the switch clicks again and the screen returns to the desktop without upgrading and without any failure notice.

I have downloaded the firmware four times from two locations, from your website and the Google Drive link you provided earlier. I have tried three different memory cards. Following several failed attempts I reset to factory and tried again. All without success.

What do you advise?

Jul 20, 2017 at 11:55 PM Post #1,299 of 2,460
Installed latest APK file from fw 2.10 on my Moto G4 and the app keeps crashing. Can't use the useful hiby link app. :triportsad:

Screenshot_20170720-234505.png

Jul 21, 2017 at 12:01 AM Post #1,300 of 2,460
@Shanling I'm having problems upgrading the firmware from ver 1.2 to 2.10

I copied the update.upt file to the root directory of the memory card, from System Settings/System Upgrade, clicked the little tick mark in the circle, I hear, what sounds like a reed switch click, the screen blanks the switch clicks again and the screen returns to the desktop without upgrading and without any failure notice.

I have downloaded the firmware four times from two locations, from your website and the Google Drive link you provided earlier. I have tried three different memory cards. Following several failed attempts I reset to factory and tried again. All without success.

What do you advise?

Try this:

Turn off the device, then hold the play/pause and power buttons for 10 seconds. That'll force the device into update mode

Jul 21, 2017 at 2:21 AM Post #1,301 of 2,460
Having spent the last few days with the M2s, I do have a few suggestions for @Shanling in terms of software fixes and added features.

1. Whilst the scroll/volume dial isn't as cumbersome as I had anticipated, it does operate a bit unintuitively. One would assume that a single "click" of the dial would correspond to a single movement on screen in terms of menu selections and volume steps. However, I have found that the when I turn the dial, the screen would make a selection jump mid-turn, and then another jump at the "click". Actually, the really odd thing is that I'd notice this behaviour, and when I turn the dial in the opposite direction (due to having missed the selection that I wanted to make), then one click of the dial corresponds to only a single movement on screen (as it should be). But if you continue to turn the dial. then it resorts back to the double jump as before.

2. I'm not sure why, but turning the dial CLOCKWISE in order to move DOWN a list just feel more intuitive to me. Would it be possible to add an option in the settings to reverse the behaviour of the dial?

3. On the Now Playing screen, would it be possible to make the background (under/behind the album art) out of focus? This would just help to make the text in that area more legible.

4. Add an option for the user to be able to replace the background image

5. Enable the lock screen to display the album art of the current track playing.

6. Add an option to disable the need to press the power button twice to unlock the device (i.e don't lock the device when the screen is off)

7. Battery percentage display, perhaps?

8. Being able to use the Skip buttons to make quick jumps within lists is great, but would it be possible to make this jump alphabetically?
Let's use how I have organised my folders as an example:

AC-DC
Adele
Aerosmith
aKING
Alicia Keys
Amber Rubarth
Ariana Grande
Armin Van Buren
Aduiophile Reference
Best Audiophile Voices vol I-V
Black Keys
Black Sabbath
Blink 182
Bob Marley
Bon Jovi
Bozzio Levin Stevens
Bruno Mars
Bryan Adams

If 'AC-DC' is highlighted and I press the Next skip button, it'll jump to 'Audiophile Reference'. Another press of the skip button jumps to 'Bruno Mars'. So essentially, all that is currently happening is that it is skipping down 8 places, rather than skipping to the next alphabetical letter.

9. When browsing through folders and you hold in the selection key (volume dial), a pop up appears asking if you'd like to delete the folder. Would it be possible to add an option to play that entire folder? And perhaps do the same if you're browsing via the artist categories (currently nothing happens when holding the selection button in).

10. How about adding a dynamic playlist? By that I mean, being able to add a track into a queue (not an already stored playlist) or to select it to play after the current song has finished.

Jul 21, 2017 at 5:26 AM Post #1,302 of 2,460
Try this:

Turn off the device, then hold the play/pause and power buttons for 10 seconds. That'll force the device into update mode

Thankyou @ TheoS53 for your suggestion. Unfortunately holding play/pause and power buttons together for 10 seconds to boot only produces a flashing Shanling logo screen while pressed. When released, both buttons together or one at a time I hear the click and the home screen appears within a few seconds, without upgrading.

Edit: Typo

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2017 at 7:06 AM Post #1,303 of 2,460
Anyone went to 2.1 from latest hiby link beta? Issues? It's recommended to update from 1.20 to 2.1?
I had updated from 1.2 to 2.1 and everything goes perfect, have a new option about fast roll off filter but honestly I don't feel any sound difference changing that option. Maybe it's something in my imagination but the player seems to be less hot during play.

Jul 21, 2017 at 10:46 AM Post #1,304 of 2,460
Just got my M2s from Stephen at Shenzhen Audio. I asked if there were any head-fi.org member deals and he included the case, L2 cable (very nice cable!) and delivery to Vancouver in 7 days. This is getting too easy - thanks Stephen !

I haven't had enough time to do a full evaluation, but I have noticed with both this and my M1 I hear a faint tick. Almost similar to vinyl playback. I'll do a longer listen over the weekend and see if I can narrow down when it occurs, I don't hear this on other source options (android cell phones or laptop). And it isn't always there, but often enough to be noticed without being annoying. Anyone else hearing this?

Nice little player so far.

Jul 21, 2017 at 11:19 PM Post #1,305 of 2,460
Back from some holidays+vacation, now back to threads!

HiBy team is working on iOS version, hopefully will be out soon, but I have no more info right now.

I will definitely stop by Chord table at Canjam London and test it out! With photo proof.

Noted here. There is a lot of people asking for a lot of functions, we must consider what to add and what not, since we don't want to end up with menus over three different screens. :grin:

Can you pelase PM me with more informations regarding your problem? We have some tools to fix any software problem.

Will look into it.

I recommend using charger from smartphones. I use mix of chargers from Asus, LG and third party and all works without problem.

So glad you enjoy our player!

We are looking into adding some functions to volume wheel, but not sure if we want to double up on already existing buttons.

Well, there are some limitations of HIBY UI, will see what can be done.

Just released M1 firmware 3.0, which features digital filters, so there is chance for you :wink:

Thank you for review! And I hope we will make you more satisfied with future updates.

Thank you for nice review! Need to promote it here again, so it doesn't get lost between interesting watch discussion. )

Did you ever get on to your engineers about the truncated bitperfect output?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back