Shanling M2s Hi-Res DAP with AK4490 + MUSE8920, Bluetooth, & USB Out
Jul 19, 2017 at 11:18 PM Post #1,276 of 2,460
@Shanling, I'll second the notion re:stock filters. It seems like a very easy and straightforward thing to implement and would make M2s even more appealing and versatile. I do enjoy gradual filter settings, thank you, but reading 4490's data sheet makes me itch for more...

Yeah, The Cayin N3 is "beating" the M2s as far as digital filter implementation goes...5 vs 2. Seems counter-intuitive, since the AK4490 has them all readily available, built-in.

Jul 20, 2017 at 3:46 AM Post #1,278 of 2,460
Noticed that the notification bar at the top now sits over the background/album art rather than with just a plain background since 2.10. it looks great! Everything feels snappy. It would definitely be great to have those other 3 filter types!

Jul 20, 2017 at 3:59 AM Post #1,279 of 2,460
Could somebody explain to a noob those new functions. Thank you all. Have a great day! :beyersmile:

Fade-in & fade-out feature
Digital filter setting- Slow and sharp roll-off

Jul 20, 2017 at 4:32 AM Post #1,281 of 2,460
Shanling, just wondering why you guys just didn't enable the akm 4490 stock digital filters? As there are 5 of them instead of 2, I mean this is a 4490 right ??? And can you please tell us the difference in sound characteristics between steep and gradual. I'm not bitching, it just seems like even more work to not use the built in filters.

Interesting view of discussion! Can you please explain me what are those "digital filters" and what they good for? Which would be the difference between 2 and 5?

Thank you for your knowledge sharing guys!

ferdi

Jul 20, 2017 at 4:51 AM Post #1,282 of 2,460
Could somebody explain to a noob those new functions. Thank you all. Have a great day! :beyersmile:

Fade-in & fade-out feature
Digital filter setting- Slow and sharp roll-off

Well fade in and out is just as it sounds, instead of the music abruptly starting of stopping in fades in and out smoothly. The digital filter settings are for the low pass filter and can slightly shape the sound, usually the sow rolloff is a more natural and relaxed sound with more delay, and the the sharp is cut off faster which results in less delay and a more energetic treble response. These are very, very subtle so don't expect much.

Jul 20, 2017 at 4:55 AM Post #1,283 of 2,460
Jul 20, 2017 at 5:01 AM Post #1,284 of 2,460
Well, I have tried everything with the new firmware 2.1 but nothing works for me. I did the factory reset couple of times, upgraded the firmware twice same result. Finally I went back to 1.1 firmware which is working fine. @Shanling could you ask the service technician what cause this problem for me and possible to solve it? Thank you I'll appreciate it.

Jul 20, 2017 at 5:02 AM Post #1,285 of 2,460
Interesting view of discussion! Can you please explain me what are those "digital filters" and what they good for? Which would be the difference between 2 and 5?

Thank you for your knowledge sharing guys!

ferdi

Well the dac used supports 5 types of digital filters built in. But for some reason Shanling only implemented 2. See my post above for a short explanation of low pass filters, you can tweak the sound a bit with them.

https://www.akm.com/akm/en/file/datasheet/AK4490EQ.pdf

ha ha Ivan TT- great minds think alike :)

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2017 at 5:14 AM Post #1,286 of 2,460
Well, I have tried everything with the new firmware 2.1 but nothing works for me. I did the factory reset couple of times, upgraded the firmware twice same result. Finally I went back to 1.1 firmware which is working fine. @Shanling could you ask the service technician what cause this problem for me and possible to solve it? Thank you I'll appreciate it.

Hopefully they get back to you quick, you know whats weird? I swear my screen looks a touch darker than the previous firmware on the same brightness setting, might be a power management tweak or I'm just hallucinating.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back