Sennheiser x Massdrop HD6XX Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Mar 27, 2017 at 3:09 PM Post #3,256 of 4,141

Cable:
oyaide HPC-35HDX / 62HDX

what is the price on those 

and does it improve over stock cable or not

any ebay link for it

Apr 9, 2017 at 5:46 AM Post #3,257 of 4,141
I went to Canjam LA with the 6xx and auditioned several amps with it. I was aiming to get the Jotunheim for the 6xx, but wanted to try other amps too. Here is my impression:

Jotunheim with built in DAC:
Great imaging, bass texture, but too bright to my ears, even with the 6xx. I wonder how it will sound with brighter headphones like the Senn 800.

Audeze Deckerd:
Nothing notable. It doesn't sound bad, but doesn't produce any magic with the 6xx. Most importantly, even at the high setting, I had to turn the volume knob all the way to get listening volume. May be the source volume was turned down. Not sure what.

Chord Mojo:
I liked the sound. Great soundstage, with fluid mids and non-harsh trebles.

Sennheiser HDVD800:
Simply wow! This $2000 amp trumped all others in it's fluidity, atmosphere, realism and above all in delivering the emotion that music deserves. If funds permit, this is the amp that synnergizes the best with 6xx in my opinion. So much so, that I preferred the 6xx over the mighty 800S while listening through this amp. The 800s had the edge in imaging, the vocals and resolution, but the emotional appeal rested with the 6xx.

So coming back to the Jotunheim, I was initially considering it, but seems like it's too bright for my taste. Could it be the onboard DAC?. Could changing the DAC with a more bassy one make the trebles less harsh? Also, could listening in a quieter environment make the trebles stand out less? I am back to square one about getting an amp to pair with the 6xx (other than the Sennheiser amp which I cannot afford). Could someone suggest a suitable amp for the 6xx that's less bright than the Jotunheim and synergies with the 6xx? How about the the Darkvoice or the Bottlehead crack?

Apr 9, 2017 at 6:12 AM Post #3,258 of 4,141
So coming back to the Jotunheim, I was initially considering it, but seems like it's too bright for my taste. Could it be the onboard DAC?. Could changing the DAC with a more bassy one make the trebles less harsh? Also, could listening in a quieter environment make the trebles stand out less? I am back to square one about getting an amp to pair with the 6xx (other than the Sennheiser amp which I cannot afford). Could someone suggest a suitable amp for the 6xx that's less bright than the Jotunheim and synergies with the 6xx? How about the the Darkvoice or the Bottlehead crack?

I don't think the DAC add-on card for the Jotunheim is particularly good. In general, the Jot has kind of loose bass and I don't think it combines well with the HD600/HD650. I've had the JDS Labs EL stack (separates, not the Element combo unit) for a little over a week and it's a pretty solid combo for the HD650 for roughly the same price as the Jot + DAC card. The EL DAC is a very solid AK4490 implementation (sounds better feeding a Jot than the add-on card does) and the amp is faster/more articulate than the Jot, with much better low-end control and dynamics.

The absolute best amp for the HD650/HD6XX that I've heard, though, is the Neurochrome HP-1, designed by @tomchr. I've owned my HD650s for 10+ years and the first time I plugged it into the HP-1, I was completely blown away by how much performance it was able to get out of the transducers.

Apr 9, 2017 at 11:59 PM Post #3,260 of 4,141
Apr 19, 2017 at 12:20 PM Post #3,264 of 4,141
Anyone know if there will be another drop?

My guess is no. If there is, it will be around Oct/Nov for the holiday rush. I just don't see Sennheiser cannibalizing their own sales of the HD650. I am sure their vendors were not happy about a $200 HD650 version sold exclusively by Massdrop. Once I get the free cable, I will be selling mine for a fair price here. Basically just want my money back as I don't like them very much. I'll post here once it comes to give people looking a chance before it goes in the classifieds here. 

Apr 26, 2017 at 5:36 PM Post #3,265 of 4,141
Drop status update.
spacer.png
announce.png

MD-30891_20161107175143_ea3f70e351764cd0.jpg

Hi there,
Thank you all for your patience while we got the cable replacements sorted. We have received an update from Sennheiser, and the cables will ship from the supplier to Sennheiser on April 28th. We are waiting to hear from Sennheiser on how quickly they will be able to receive the cables and ship them out to you.
We want to give everyone a final opportunity to update their shipping addresses. If you need to change the address that your cable will be shipped to, please contact support from your transaction page no later than end of day April 30th PST so that we can get your address updated.
Feel free to let us know if you have any questions or concerns.

655 Montgomery St. Suite 800, San Francisco, CA 94111
RgRa4lnAPkEIAWx76miNoFlXCG1hc3Nkcm9wWAQAAAAASCJUcmFuc2FjdGlvbmFsOiBEcm9wIFByb2JsZW0gVXBkYXRlQgoABcDU_1j0GXqSUhJ3b29kMTAzMEBnbWFpbC5jb20JUQQAAAAAR1F7ImJpbmRpbmciOiJub3RpZmljYXRpb25zIiwiZW1haWxfdXVpZCI6IjE0OTMxNjExNTIxMDMuMzg0ODYyNjM5OTI1NDExMDk4NDIzNDQxIn0T

In case you haven't received the email update from Massdrop.

Apr 26, 2017 at 7:30 PM Post #3,267 of 4,141
Apr 27, 2017 at 3:38 PM Post #3,268 of 4,141
@mbyrnes, I missed the drop by literally a few seconds as since a spinal cord injury I'm a little slow getting around the internet (and hence my lack of regular posting here - it's all going on meds and nearly all the gear has been sold). If you would consider posting to Australia I would love to rehome your pair as the pads, headband and drivers in my AKG K702's have all started dying of old age and these are literally the only replacement I'm interested in. I should say my AKG's were bought from a US HeadFier in a FS forum trade.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back