Sennheiser RS 165, RS 175, RS 185, RS 195 - Impressions thread
Feb 12, 2017 at 2:43 PM Post #376 of 440

I've yet to try out watching movies with it though, just for the sake of checking if the wider dynamic range in those would become a problem.

Ok so I finally decided to watch a film with my RS185, and went with Star Wars Episode 3: Revenge of the Siths.
I kinda knew how much I'd need to crank up the volume with my other pair of headphones+DAC/amp for this film, so I got it to max volume (until it beeped) from the beginning.
I, err... almost regretted it because of how loud the music in the intro was (you know, the yellow-scrolling synopsis) which actually ended up just right, but let me explain.
It is just right, only as long as you get theatre-like conditions. By that, I mean a quiet room.
Due to lack of noise isolation of their open-back design, should you get a bit of a noisy environment, it might actually interfere with some low-volume scenes. Not to the point of no longer being able to hear them anymore of course, but you'd definitely lose detail. But if your room is quiet, it's perfect.
As for high-volume action-packed scenes, it was plenty loud enough. Would I want more volume? Nope. Any more, and I'm pretty sure I'd set a favourable ground for the premature demise of my eardrums.

All in all, I found that the RS185 dealt pretty well with the wide dynamic range of this film, and sounded amazing. But like I said, you have to make sure you get those theatre-like conditions first. And if you do, you'd definitely get a theatre-like experience.

Good taste in films!  Just watched the first couple minutes..

If maxing the volume is "just right" then something in your chain is not set up correctly.  I can sit my 185s a few metres away, max the volume and use them as loud speakers without losing dialogue (not an exaggeration).  I would damage my hearing if I wore them while the opening text crawl was playing.  IIRC you have the headphones connected directly to the TV via optical?  How are the TV volume levels set up?  Any additional processing (normalization, levelling etc) getting done before it sends the data on its way?

I have RS 180 and RS 195 both have amp and DAC included, so I wonder if the RS 185 you have even needs an amp.  To make the RS 195 LOUD there is a trick needed.

Not sure what you mean.  You could add an additional amp in-line but then you would be double-amping.  What's the trick? :wink:

Feb 25, 2017 at 1:36 PM Post #377 of 440
Hi all, just found this forum whilst looking for info regarding a successor to my RS 120. It's going to take a while to read all the posts though I've read many already. Thanks to everyone who has written, it's been very helpful.

I don't want automatic level control so that points me towards an RS 175 or better using optical input. I'd prefer the reputedly better sound of the 185 but don't want to share it with the household! I've got hearing problems and the 120 has been a godsend for watching tv but it's falling apart due to 8 years daily use. From what I've read so far the 195 mightn't help a lot. 

Whilst dithering over my choice I've been scouring Amazon for prices and I've been amazed at price variations between different countries' sites. I've compared the UK, French German and Spanish sites and since the layout between them is almost identical, it's not difficult to navigate them. For example an RS 175 costs €149 on the French site and £181 (about €215) on the UK site! Having played this game with other products in the past I've found that you can log into any other country site with the same details as you use on your usual Amazon site. Prices do vary frequently.

There are 3 other possible hurdles. You need to check with your credit card supplier what they charge for foreign currency transactions (if that applies). You may need a plug adaptor as UK plugs are different to most European although the electricity is the same throughout the EU (220v 50Hz). Postal charges will apply when ordering from another country's site.

Mar 1, 2017 at 10:08 AM Post #378 of 440
Hi.
I am about to buy RS 185. Some people say that the head grip(clamp pressure) is too much. Does is get better with time? Is it possible to bend the exposed metal part a bit?

I have RS130 for about 9-10 years, so they are pretty loose. I avoided getting new headphones just because i find RS130 so comfortable. Comfort over long period of time wearing the headphones is huge factor for me. Getting comfortable, open and wireless headphones seems to be an impossible task :)

Mar 28, 2017 at 1:22 AM Post #379 of 440
I'm fairly certain I have seen some discussion about frequency interference from other wireless devices while using an RS unit.
We have the RS 175 base and headset with a supplementary HDR 185.

Just in the last half hour or so, there has been an extreme amount of stuttering while using either the 175 or 185 headset while watching satellite TV content.

Removing the audio jack from our receiver to allow listeing to the speakers, there was NO stuttering, so that eliminates the feed.

The stuttering disappeared for about 5 minutes, but just now, there was a blip, but just one.
Still pretty stable.

Just now, a double blip, and now clear again.

Is there frequency interference possibility from other wirteless devices within a certain range (325 feet?) that could be intermittently causing this experience?

If si, how can it be avoided and/or eliminated altogether?  I seem to recall reading that this base auto-determines the best channel on which to operate, si if there is a workaround, perhaps that might be my course of action.

Thanks in advance for any help here :).
Ted Arsovsky
Niagara Region of Canada

May 15, 2017 at 1:00 AM Post #380 of 440
The HD 1 Momentum 2 ,Being Bluetooth and the RS Sennheiser wireless series is beamed through a transmitter, still can anyone compare for me the audio quality? In the past Bluetooth was known to be the lesser audio HD. And today with the HD 1?? Thanks.

May 25, 2017 at 1:25 AM Post #381 of 440
Hi all, just found this forum whilst looking for info regarding a successor to my RS 120. It's going to take a while to read all the posts though I've read many already. Thanks to everyone who has written, it's been very helpful.

I don't want automatic level control so that points me towards an RS 175 or better using optical input. I'd prefer the reputedly better sound of the 185 but don't want to share it with the household! I've got hearing problems and the 120 has been a godsend for watching tv but it's falling apart due to 8 years daily use. From what I've read so far the 195 mightn't help a lot.

Whilst dithering over my choice I've been scouring Amazon for prices and I've been amazed at price variations between different countries' sites. I've compared the UK, French German and Spanish sites and since the layout between them is almost identical, it's not difficult to navigate them. For example an RS 175 costs €149 on the French site and £181 (about €215) on the UK site! Having played this game with other products in the past I've found that you can log into any other country site with the same details as you use on your usual Amazon site. Prices do vary frequently.

There are 3 other possible hurdles. You need to check with your credit card supplier what they charge for foreign currency transactions (if that applies). You may need a plug adaptor as UK plugs are different to most European although the electricity is the same throughout the EU (220v 50Hz). Postal charges will apply when ordering from another country's site.

I hadn't seen your post. I have the RS 180 which is great for music but I was having a bit problems in hearing film videos. The RS 195 I bought is made especially for people with hearing problems. There are 6 settings for YOUR own hearing type. Also you can set it to "music" or "hearing words" like on tv or films. Expensive but worth it, it has ALL electrical the connections on the Globe!
הורד (6).jpg

Attachments

• הורד (7).jpg
    הורד (7).jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jun 30, 2017 at 1:41 AM Post #383 of 440
The HD 1 Momentum 2 ,Being Bluetooth and the RS Sennheiser wireless series is beamed through a transmitter, still can anyone compare for me the audio quality? In the past Bluetooth was known to be the lesser audio HD. And today with the HD 1?? Thanks.

Did this thread die and go to join the heavely choir?

Jun 30, 2017 at 5:25 AM Post #384 of 440
I found, for me, Bluetooth is less stable, so I now use the Sennheiser RS 185 for movies/tv.Soundwise?. Pretty good balance, can walk around, and no dropouts,good value for what they are.For this sort of experience, I usually use the Sony 700ds,which I prefer. SO, audio quality, RS, for movies, the Sony.For serious music listening, I use HEK,HD800,ISine. All there comments, are with my 77 year old ears, so what do I know!.

Jun 30, 2017 at 6:20 AM Post #385 of 440
Thank YOU, I have the RS 180 which I find great for music and the RS 195 which I bought for those "with mild hearing problems" $400 but here in Israel I had to pay for shipping, Added value Taxes, etc it was much more, $800.00 .I haven'tused the RS 175 or RS 185, they were not available but probably fr films would have bee much cheaper $200 less and same quality. I suggest that ayone wanting the RS 195 tolisten to them frst.
Thank You for yourinput, I imagine that in the future BlueTooth will be as good as those used by transmitter!

Jul 27, 2017 at 2:59 AM Post #386 of 440
I'm considering getting myself the RS 195, RS 185 or RS 175. Depending on whether my girlfriend would prefer open (RS 185) or closed (RS 195 / RS 175) as she is the one who would be using them the most. My LG OLED B6 has two optical outputs. I'm already using one for our Sonos Play Bar so I'll use the second one for the Sennheiser RS. One thing I would like to know is how it handles bitstream signals? Is the base doing any kind of decoding, or would I have to disable bitstreaming on all my devices in order to get audio through the Sennheiser RS? That would be less than ideal, as I want Dolby Digital 5.1 and Dolby Digital Plus bitstreaming as that gives me surround sound to my Sonos setup consisting of 1x Play Bar, 1x Play Sub and 2x Play 3 as surrounds. Having to disable and re-enable Dolby Digital on all my devices depending on whether we are currently using the headphones or the speakers sounds horrible.

And regarding the RS 195 vs RS 175. Are there any noticeable differences besides all the various "hearing aid modes"? Those aren't all that interesting or relevant for us, but if the RS 195 feature better headphones compared to the RS 175 it might be tempting to pay the extra price. But if it's all about those special audio modes, we won't bother.

Jul 27, 2017 at 9:10 AM Post #387 of 440
I'm considering getting myself the RS 195, RS 185 or RS 175. Depending on whether my girlfriend would prefer open (RS 185) or closed (RS 195 / RS 175) as she is the one who would be using them the most. My LG OLED B6 has two optical outputs. I'm already using one for our Sonos Play Bar so I'll use the second one for the Sennheiser RS. One thing I would like to know is how it handles bitstream signals? Is the base doing any kind of decoding, or would I have to disable bitstreaming on all my devices in order to get audio through the Sennheiser RS? That would be less than ideal, as I want Dolby Digital 5.1 and Dolby Digital Plus bitstreaming as that gives me surround sound to my Sonos setup consisting of 1x Play Bar, 1x Play Sub and 2x Play 3 as surrounds. Having to disable and re-enable Dolby Digital on all my devices depending on whether we are currently using the headphones or the speakers sounds horrible.

And regarding the RS 195 vs RS 175. Are there any noticeable differences besides all the various "hearing aid modes"? Those aren't all that interesting or relevant for us, but if the RS 195 feature better headphones compared to the RS 175 it might be tempting to pay the extra price. But if it's all about those special audio modes, we won't bother.
Regarding your first question, I'm pretty certain the base station will only accept 2-channel PCM. If someone says otherwise then I can do some testing, but that is correct going from memory.

Aug 5, 2017 at 1:33 PM Post #388 of 440
I'm considering getting RS175 for my TV. The only place where I can put the base station is in front of the TV (which is fine while I'm not watching it). I intend to topple over the base station while watching TV so that it wont obstruct the screen. Will this be a proble for the normal functioning of the base station?

Aug 7, 2017 at 2:08 AM Post #389 of 440
Regarding your first question, I'm pretty certain the base station will only accept 2-channel PCM. If someone says otherwise then I can do some testing, but that is correct going from memory.

Turns out that my LG OLED has bluetooth and connecting my girlfriends Bose QC35 worked out really well without any noticeable delays. Looks like technology is moving forward!

Sep 25, 2017 at 6:15 PM Post #390 of 440
Hello to all. Firstly I want to say what a wonderful and informative site this is. It's nice to see so many helpful and civil people in a forum.

I will be brief (hopefully)! I am interested in the RS 185's. I will be mostly listening to music in the forms of lp's, mp3's and cd's. everything is routed through AVR, a Marantz NR 1501. I have thought going corded as this would serve my music well (Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro). But I would need to have about 16'-18' of cord and am worried about the dog and kids tripping over it. So hence the wireless. Now onto my concern.

I have read hear that with the analog connection there is a white noise or hiss/hum present in the quiet parts and that this goes away with a Toslink connection. Unfortunately my receiver does not have optical out, only in. My only choice would be the headphone jack or the audio out via the VCR RCA jacks, which I planned to use. Now I'm wondering if the noise is present from plugging into the headphone jack, audio outs on a receiver, RCA jacks from the TV or is it present on all analog connections. Everything else about these phones sound great but I know that a background noise would bother me immensely.

And if the noise is always present would I just be better off with the 180's. Thanks for all your input.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back