Sennheiser HD800S Unveiled!
May 5, 2017 at 9:10 PM Post #6,003 of 6,504
Damn. I hate this new format, including the inability to edit posts (at least that I can find). Here's a review of Elise which I just found: http://headfonics.com/2016/12/the-elise-by-feliks-audio/

I really appreciate all your feedback. Look forward to hearing what you think of the Euforia. It is very frustrating that we can't audition things. I wonder how the Euforia sounds compared to the ampsandsound Kenzie. Going to be a lot of soul searching on this one. Euforia will be on short list.

May 5, 2017 at 9:49 PM Post #6,004 of 6,504
I really appreciate all your feedback. Look forward to hearing what you think of the Euforia. It is very frustrating that we can't audition things. I wonder how the Euforia sounds compared to the ampsandsound Kenzie. Going to be a lot of soul searching on this one. Euforia will be on short list.

I have no idea how the Kenzie sounds. I personally don't find it particularly appealing from a cosmetic standpoint. Looks a little too home made for my taste, but that's obviously totally subjective. My main concern about it is that its final stage is a transformer, and transformer tube amps, either for headphones or speakers, have never particularly appealed to me. Hopefully someone here will be familiar with it.

May 5, 2017 at 10:39 PM Post #6,005 of 6,504
I have no idea how the Kenzie sounds. I personally don't find it particularly appealing from a cosmetic standpoint. Looks a little too home made for my taste, but that's obviously totally subjective. My main concern about it is that its final stage is a transformer, and transformer tube amps, either for headphones or speakers, have never particularly appealed to me. Hopefully someone here will be familiar with it.

You are right the looks are subjective. I really love the way it looks and people report that in person it looks well made and beautiful to look at. Did you read the Kenzie review on Headphone.guru and positive-feedback.com? There are plenty of good tube amps with output transformers and they can do better with a wider variety of headphones. No doubt that OTL has its advantages for hi impedance phones. If only I could hear an Euphoria and Kenzie and compare them that way. I have never heard an OTL and it could be a real epiphany.

By the way I also have a Bimby and just love it. Especially the way it drove away digititus from my system.

May 5, 2017 at 11:07 PM Post #6,006 of 6,504
You are right the looks are subjective. I really love the way it looks and people report that in person it looks well made and beautiful to look at. Did you read the Kenzie review on Headphone.guru and positive-feedback.com? There are plenty of good tube amps with output transformers and they can do better with a wider variety of headphones. No doubt that OTL has its advantages for hi impedance phones. If only I could hear an Euphoria and Kenzie and compare them that way. I have never heard an OTL and it could be a real epiphany.

By the way I also have a Bimby and just love it. Especially the way it drove away digititus from my system.

I glanced at the reviews, but I'm generally not a big fan of professional reviews. I directed you to the Elise review just so you could get some information on it. My (totally uneducated) bias against transformers is from my former speaker days. Just a thing with me. I realize there are a lot of choices available to talented designers.

Elise is rated 32 to 600 ohms. I've used headphones from 50 to 600 ohms without any problem, and I've never read anyone having problems with any headphone within the rated range.

Sorry I can't help you with the Kenzie. All I can tell you is the satisfaction level of Elise owners as expressed on the threads is almost universally extremely high. The headphone of choice for many is the Beyerdynamics T1. I spent 30 days of intense comparison between the Beyer T1.2 and the HD800S driven by my Elise. The T1 is a great headphone, but I settled on the S and have never looked back,

Glad you love your Bimby)))) I wish you could hear right now what Bimby is pumping out through Elise. As always, superb!!!

May 6, 2017 at 2:22 AM Post #6,007 of 6,504
Just received it yesterday.. wasn't impressed at first because of my very high expectations. Thought an HD600 was better (i still do when it comes to certain kind of music but the intensity is reducing the more i listen to hd800s) but i'm slowly starting to get addicted.

The only real problem so far is the fit,, is a bit too loose on my head. Is there any way i can tighten the grip? (Maybe thicker earpads?)

Also do you guys know of any shorter aftermarket cable that isn't too expensive? 6.5mm or 3.5mm

Do cables made for hd800 work with hd800s?

Last edited:
May 6, 2017 at 11:19 AM Post #6,008 of 6,504
I glanced at the reviews, but I'm generally not a big fan of professional reviews. I directed you to the Elise review just so you could get some information on it. My (totally uneducated) bias against transformers is from my former speaker days. Just a thing with me. I realize there are a lot of choices available to talented designers.

Elise is rated 32 to 600 ohms. I've used headphones from 50 to 600 ohms without any problem, and I've never read anyone having problems with any headphone within the rated range.

Sorry I can't help you with the Kenzie. All I can tell you is the satisfaction level of Elise owners as expressed on the threads is almost universally extremely high. The headphone of choice for many is the Beyerdynamics T1. I spent 30 days of intense comparison between the Beyer T1.2 and the HD800S driven by my Elise. The T1 is a great headphone, but I settled on the S and have never looked back,

Glad you love your Bimby)))) I wish you could hear right now what Bimby is pumping out through Elise. As always, superb!!!

I certainly wish I could hear the Bimby in your system as well. It would be just like mine if I got the Elise. The Euphoria is certainly well within my budget and if that one is even more linear and detailed than the Elise, not that the Elise is not, then it may be a pretty sure bet. Going to dig deeper into the Elise and Euphoria threads and learn what I can. Not purchasing till mid July so still some time to research. It is a good problem to have!

By the way I saw a baldr (Mike Moffat) post that he was working on an upgrade to the Bifrost Multibit saying that it is "spine tingling". Will be a while before a production model comes out but I am really looking forward to getting the upgrade. I am unable to go and find the post again yet but I know I saw it.

May 6, 2017 at 12:27 PM Post #6,009 of 6,504
I missed seeing Mike's post about the Bimby upgrade, but that is certainly exciting.

As for me, my confidence in Feliks Audio is backed by my pocket book, in that Euforia is on order and I hope to be receiving it in a week or two.

Good luck with your decision. I'm sure with careful research, you will be happy with whatever you decide.

May 7, 2017 at 10:19 AM Post #6,010 of 6,504
Since it seems impossible to search this thread, can anyone comment how the Master 11 NOS V2 does with the Hd800S? thanks! I'm still torn between the HD800S and Ether Flow for classical and Jazz..

May 7, 2017 at 1:09 PM Post #6,011 of 6,504
The only help I can give is that I listen to my 800S through a Yggy and Oppo Class A SS Amp and is all sweetness to me!:dt880smile:

May 7, 2017 at 9:39 PM Post #6,012 of 6,504
Seems like the Auralic Taurus Mk2 has fallen out of favour these days. Accurate to the point of being clinical, but awesome depth for soundstage. Just a tad too lean for my taste to pair with the HD800S, maybe that's why nobody brought it up.

Don't comment on it much bcos I'm quietly enjoying mine haha.

Interesting you brought that up because I have considered the Taurus MK2. Came to the conclusion that the Ragnarok probably sounded as good or better and was more versatile. But would not know for sure unless I heard it first. I may love the way the MK2 sounds with the HD800S and not even know it. I appreciate you sharing your perspective on the MK2. That helps me.

I love mine. Half a year ago I resolved to get an endgame desktop setup and be done with it. Taurus MK2 ticked all the boxes. Neutral, extremely detailed, precise imaging and huge soundstage, everything a good SS amp should be (also it looks good). The mother of all reasons was I was offered to buy it lightly used cheap (40% off retail). Briefly considered the Master 11 or 9 but they were too big for my AV rack.

The HD800S is however the brightest (or neutralest) headphone I have. My other cans are warmer (HEK, LCD-X, Eikon) so getting an SS amp was logical, and I didn't want the hassle or wallet-emptying capabilities of tube-rolling. So choose an amp for the overall picture. Budget comes first, also matching with your other cans.

May 7, 2017 at 9:49 PM Post #6,013 of 6,504
The only help I can give is that I listen to my 800S through a Yggy and Oppo Class A SS Amp and is all sweetness to me!:dt880smile:

Do you mean the HA-1? I'm always on the look out for gear with a sweet luscious character. Is that your experience with it?

May 7, 2017 at 9:52 PM Post #6,014 of 6,504
Don't comment on it much bcos I'm quietly enjoying mine haha.

The HD800S is however the brightest (or neutralest) headphone I have. My other cans are warmer (HEK, LCD-X, Eikon) so getting an SS amp was logical, and I didn't want the hassle or wallet-emptying capabilities of tube-rolling. So choose an amp for the overall picture. Budget comes first, also matching with your other cans.

Agree. So I guess you use the warmer cans more with the Taurus than the HD800S?

May 7, 2017 at 10:02 PM Post #6,015 of 6,504
Agree. So I guess you use the warmer cans more with the Taurus than the HD800S?

Well in terms of preference, HEK is my fave bcos it emotes more. 800S is a close second bcos it's a fine all-rounder and the staging is second to none. Each can has a role, hurts to pick a favourite child lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back