Sennheiser HD800S Unveiled!
Sep 30, 2016 at 11:05 AM Post #5,461 of 6,504
I am just so impressed with the 800S. At first I worried that I would find the accomplished separation and localization ability of the 800S unnatural, but I do not feel that way at all. I think the term natural has very little objective meaning as we all experience it subjectively, but I find that the way I am immersed in the music with the 800S just feels very right. Now I do use a slight EQ lift in the lower bass regions, and a very slight cut at 8kHz so that does help shift the signature a little, but my EQing is rather modest and I use a parametric EQ (EasyQ through JRiver MC 20) and I feel the change to the 800S signature is also very modest and not likely to have any real effect on the fundamental signature of the headphone. I think the cut at 8kHz for instance is so minor that I could remove it and likely not notice.

I love the 800S with both my OTL and SS amp. It is sensitive enough that with the OTL and certain tubes, I can hear the hum of the amp during silence and very quiet passages, but overall I would have to say it has little to no detrimental impact on the listening experience at all. I am very glad that I decided to try the 800S after years of reading about the 800. There is little doubt in my mind that Sennheiser knows how to tune a headphone. I am still interested in trying an Elear, or perhaps an HE1000 v2, but as it stands now, I am rather content with the 800S.

Sep 30, 2016 at 12:35 PM Post #5,462 of 6,504
  I am just so impressed with the 800S. At first I worried that I would find the accomplished separation and localization ability of the 800S unnatural, but I do not feel that way at all. I think the term natural has very little objective meaning as we all experience it subjectively, but I find that the way I am immersed in the music with the 800S just feels very right. Now I do use a slight EQ lift in the lower bass regions, and a very slight cut at 8kHz so that does help shift the signature a little, but my EQing is rather modest and I use a parametric EQ (EasyQ through JRiver MC 20) and I feel the change to the 800S signature is also very modest and not likely to have any real effect on the fundamental signature of the headphone. I think the cut at 8kHz for instance is so minor that I could remove it and likely not notice.

I love the 800S with both my OTL and SS amp. It is sensitive enough that with the OTL and certain tubes, I can hear the hum of the amp during silence and very quiet passages, but overall I would have to say it has little to no detrimental impact on the listening experience at all. I am very glad that I decided to try the 800S after years of reading about the 800. There is little doubt in my mind that Sennheiser knows how to tune a headphone. I am still interested in trying an Elear, or perhaps an HE1000 v2, but as it stands now, I am rather content with the 800S.

I very much agree with your very well written description of the 800S. I don't use equalization or solid state, but your comments are very consistent with my experience with the S. I agree that Sennheiser does know how to tune a headphone. The long lasting popularity of the HD800 and HD6XX series is testament to their abilities. 

Sep 30, 2016 at 1:36 PM Post #5,463 of 6,504
Well, I've had mine for a little over three weeks now and am still loving them. No dedicated amp yet, direct from a MacBook Pro. I'm very glad I switched from the GS2000e to these, I like them a lot better!

Now I need to find a sensible case with which to transport them when we move back to England later this year.

Sep 30, 2016 at 1:50 PM Post #5,465 of 6,504
  Well, I've had mine for a little over three weeks now and am still loving them. No dedicated amp yet, direct from a MacBook Pro. I'm very glad I switched from the GS2000e to these, I like them a lot better!

Now I need to find a sensible case with which to transport them when we move back to England later this year.

Awesome, although you simply haven't heard them before they're properly amped. There are some portable and extremely good solutions out there, if you need something to go with your MacBook.

iFi makes some nice small units, or you can get a high end Woo Audio WA8 if your budget allows for it. You won't believe how much untapped potential the HD800S has.

Brooko did a nice review on an iFi amp which is on the front page and the Woo Audio WA8 has been reviewed on youtube on the Head-Fi channel. One of his favorite pairings was the HD800S.

Enjoy!
beyersmile.png

Sep 30, 2016 at 2:01 PM Post #5,466 of 6,504
  Awesome, although you simply haven't heard them before they're properly amped. There are some portable and extremely good solutions out there, if you need something to go with your MacBook.

iFi makes some nice small units, or you can get a high end Woo Audio WA8 if your budget allows for it. You won't believe how much untapped potential the HD800S has.

Brooko did a nice review on an iFi amp which is on the front page and the Woo Audio WA8 has been reviewed on youtube on the Head-Fi channel. One of his favorite pairings was the HD800S.

Enjoy!
beyersmile.png

I really am curious to see what the output from the MBP is lacking - it's capable of pushing them to volume levels far higher than I'd ever want to listen to.

I'm still waiting on the Headroom Standard Amp to ship. They were selling the headphones for the same price with or without the amp, so I chose the package with the amp. :)

Thanks!!!

Sep 30, 2016 at 2:15 PM Post #5,467 of 6,504
  Favorites amps with the 800 S?

I enjoy it on the Beta 22. Smooth, Warm, and Fast. Plenty of micro-details and the imagery is out of this world.
With decent parts in balanced configuration, I prefer it over the GX2. 

I've tried it with the Liquid Carbon which is nice as well. Oppo HA-1 was good. I wouldn't recommend that for regular 800 though. Tad bright.

For the the top tube line, I've tried is the Woo Audio WA-22. It's really intimate.

I'm about to get in a shipment for the Yggdrasil + Ragnarok combo so excited to give that a try soon enough.

Sep 30, 2016 at 4:02 PM Post #5,469 of 6,504

La Figaro 339 and my NAD M3 (speaker tap cable) are both absolutely gems paired with the 800S. I'm a HUGE believer in speaker taps if you have a capable speaker amplifier. One of the most important aspects of ANY amplifier on the planet is the capability and stability of the power supply. That is one thing to really consider. I was in a coffee shop recently and overheard two men talking about electronic engineering for audio so I introduced myself.

One of the men had just returned from living in China where he set up a production facility for Bose and the other man had designed headphone amplifiers for pretty much every company we read about here on head-fi. Both agreed that the power supply was critical to the success of any amplifier (no surprise I know), but you rarely here people discuss this fact when evaluating headphone amplifier designs. So if you have a nice amp at home capable of driving speakers really well, that amp will drive your headphones just as well, in fact, perhaps better as the increased load is actually good for the amplifier.

From my NAD M3 speaker taps I have driven the following headphones: TH 900/TH 600, HE 560/400i, MDR Z7, LCD 2F, ZMF Vibro X, MT 220, ONKYO A800, and the 800S all with ZERO issues and fantastic results. Just a suggestion if any members here have a decent speaker amp, spend the money on a speaker tap cable (mine was made by Trevor at Norne Audio) and eliminate one extra device from your system.

Sep 30, 2016 at 4:08 PM Post #5,470 of 6,504
Agree power supply is a mis represented topic on head fi. That is why I acquired TT for its supercapicitors and quiet related power, and GSX mk2 as a balanced amp and separate clean ps archetecture.

Sep 30, 2016 at 4:24 PM Post #5,471 of 6,504
I'm getting the best sound yet with my HD800 (and I expect also with the S soon) off a Ragnarok fed by Yggdrasil. I believe the Rag has a pretty solid power supply and I'm kinda surprised that a good bit of the brightness I sometimes experience with some recordings with the MJ2 (with either tubes or LISST's), or my Oppo HA-1, has been significantly ameliorated.

Sep 30, 2016 at 8:28 PM Post #5,472 of 6,504
  OPPO HA-1 in combo with HD800/HD800S is gorgeous 
L3000.gif
 Even more in balanced more with CH800 S.

I really liked it with the HD800. It sounded very intimate. I haven't come accross many solid states doing that, but the HA-1 really surprised me. Probably the best all rounder DAC/AMP of it's kind. Bluetooth too? Shut up. haha. During my time with it, I notice it was very quick and had good bass punch, but lacked a little bit of umph on the HD800. Switching over to HD800S is a pair made in heaven. Stage and imaging could be improved when comparing to some TOTL amplifiers, but for the price you're paying, people will have to pay thousands just for a independent DAC + Amplifier for a meer 10-20% improvement. Chasing quality sound is fun isn't it haha.

I'm getting the best sound yet with my HD800 (and I expect also with the S soon) off a Ragnarok fed by Yggdrasil. I believe the Rag has a pretty solid power supply and I'm kinda surprised that a good bit of the brightness I sometimes experience with some recordings with the MJ2 (with either tubes or LISST's), or my Oppo HA-1, has been significantly ameliorated.

It sure has. Jason does really well with it and gives even slighter further headroom.
Woah. I thought I was the only one hearing that slight brightness on the Oppo HA-1 when i compared to Beta 22 & Ragnarok. Glad to see someone feels the same way as I regarding the matter. *claps*.

Sep 30, 2016 at 9:06 PM Post #5,473 of 6,504

I'm surprised to write this, but: Burson Soloist (SE) over the Liquid Carbon (Balanced). The 800S's seem to bring out the best qualities of this amp, especially deep, controlled bass.

Sep 30, 2016 at 11:30 PM Post #5,474 of 6,504
I'm surprised to write this, but: Burson Soloist (SE) over the Liquid Carbon (Balanced). The 800S's seem to bring out the best qualities of this amp, especially deep, controlled bass.

I'm really enjoying my HD800S on my Burson Conductor Virtuoso but I don't have any other amps to compare it too.  Agree with your comment about the bass.

Oct 1, 2016 at 6:57 AM Post #5,475 of 6,504

I really liked it with the HD800. It sounded very intimate. I haven't come accross many solid states doing that, but the HA-1 really surprised me. Probably the best all rounder DAC/AMP of it's kind. Bluetooth too? Shut up. haha. During my time with it, I notice it was very quick and had good bass punch, but lacked a little bit of umph on the HD800. Switching over to HD800S is a pair made in heaven. Stage and imaging could be improved when comparing to some TOTL amplifiers, but for the price you're paying, people will have to pay thousands just for a independent DAC + Amplifier for a meer 10-20% improvement. Chasing quality sound is fun isn't it haha.

It sure has. Jason does really well with it and gives even slighter further headroom.
Woah. I thought I was the only one hearing that slight brightness on the Oppo HA-1 when i compared to Beta 22 & Ragnarok. Glad to see someone feels the same way as I regarding the matter. *claps*.

Totally agree. You will have to spend 4 times more money to get some serious improvement over HA-1. Chasing for better sound quality was alway fun and pricey, but for people like us, it worth every cent. There isn't better feeling like sit down and play again your whole music library on new equipment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back