Sennheiser HD800S Unveiled!
Sep 29, 2016 at 3:12 AM Post #5,446 of 6,504
Appreciate all the information :p. My O2 amp shouldn't limit the HD800S right? Also compared to the elear its pretty much a matter of sound preference with both being top tier?

I believe you are going to need more capable amp than just an 02..of course u could get a nearly defeaning volume from this amp but not just brute power we need for both phones especially hd800S..it is total refinement across the spectrums are playing the role..we are talking about lows to top octaves,macro and microdetails,soundstaging, imaging etc..but if you are happy with just O2 amps,then thats totally fine but i can say its not the fullest of your headphones could bring.

Sep 29, 2016 at 9:37 AM Post #5,447 of 6,504
My O2 amp shouldn't limit the HD800S right? Also compared to the elear its pretty much a matter of sound preference with both being top tier?

I'd also recommend to go balanced with Sennheiser headphones. They really shine when you use the xlr cable that's included. Maybe get a used Cavalli Liquid Carbon, if you want something small like the O2? You could also buy the iHA-6 i have on sale. 
beyersmile.png

Sep 29, 2016 at 10:47 AM Post #5,448 of 6,504
I'm having some comfort issues.  I'm fine for about an hour.  After that, I start feeling discomfort on the top of my head where the band is putting pressure on it.  If I move the HD800S forward on my head an inch or so, I can get another 1/2 of listening.  After that, there doesn't seem to be any way of getting relief.  Are there any mods or tricks to achieving more comfort for longer listening sessions?

Sep 29, 2016 at 10:55 AM Post #5,449 of 6,504
  I'm having some comfort issues.  I'm fine for about an hour.  After that, I start feeling discomfort on the top of my head where the band is putting pressure on it.  If I move the HD800S forward on my head an inch or so, I can get another 1/2 of listening.  After that, there doesn't seem to be any way of getting relief.  Are there any mods or tricks to achieving more comfort for longer listening sessions?

Me too, I have a narrow and pointed skull and find the middle of the headband nips after a while.  My HD600 do this too but not as[size=x-small] bad [/size]because the superior clamping force of 600 relieves some of the weight.[size=x-small]  I'm thinking of velcro'ing some extra padding around my HD800S headband.[/size]

Sep 29, 2016 at 10:57 AM Post #5,450 of 6,504
  I'd also recommend to go balanced with Sennheiser headphones. They really shine when you use the xlr cable that's included. Maybe get a used Cavalli Liquid Carbon, if you want something small like the O2? You could also buy the iHA-6 i have on sale. 
beyersmile.png

Just posted this on another HD800s thread.  I agree with you.

My setup is now T&A DAC 8 using Roon-->HQPlayer upsampling all to DSD512 -->Cavalli Liquid Gold (just took delivery, replacing my Liquid Carbon)-->HD800s & LCD-X.

The new LAu is barely broken in but I have to say I have never heard a more revealing, detailed, natural sounding system with such accurate timbre and amazing transparency as the HD800s with the LAu even with the LAu fresh out of the box.  I understand this is an expensive system out of reach of many but it also demonstrates how much latitude there is with the HD800s to transmit a signal like few other cans are capable of.  I was in awe of the liquid carbon but this is truly on another level.  I can't ever go back to the LCD-X which sound great but the HD800s is in a totally different league, much larger now with the LAu than before.  The HD800s are truly a window to your equipment and the better it is the better the HD800s perform.  

While I do most of my listening on my "main system", which I love, composed of Nola Concert Grands/ARC GS150/REF10/MSB Diamond DAC V with Vahalla 2 cabling (listed as a reference not to brag), nothing has knocked me off my feet as much as the current can setup I have in terms of transparency.  Pretty startling headphones.  Also let me say, I am not a detail freak that needs to hear a mouse fart in the recording hall and in many cases such detail is unnatural to say the least and many systems are sold just on such detail, yet the HD800s provide such accurate and honest level of detail it is hard to express in words.  Having had some of the best speakers ever made over the last 30 years, I have never heard this level of accuracy in my life.  Kudos to Sennheiser.  I can't wait for the LAu to full break in.  

Sep 29, 2016 at 11:39 AM Post #5,451 of 6,504
I believe you are going to need more capable amp than just an 02..of course u could get a nearly defeaning volume from this amp but not just brute power we need for both phones especially hd800S..it is total refinement across the spectrums are playing the role..we are talking about lows to top octaves,macro and microdetails,soundstaging, imaging etc..but if you are happy with just O2 amps,then thats totally fine but i can say its not the fullest of your headphones could bring.

I thought that the O2 is regarded as "wire with gain" so I just hear what the headphones are supposed to sound like or there's more to it? Also is the HD800S as unforgiving as the HD800 cause that might steer me more towards the HD600 as an all-rounder for all my music. 
beyersmile.png

Haha wasn't expecting to upgrade my amp as well :p. So I assume the HD800S are picky about amp/source like the hd800?

Sep 29, 2016 at 11:44 AM Post #5,452 of 6,504
The HD 600 isn't that forgiving also. On the wrong setup, the treble of the HD 600 can annoy me. Which is why I opted for the HD 650.

Sep 29, 2016 at 11:55 AM Post #5,453 of 6,504
  Me too, I have a narrow and pointed skull and find the middle of the headband nips after a while.  My HD600 do this too but not as[size=x-small] bad [/size]because the superior clamping force of 600 relieves some of the weight.[size=x-small]  I'm thinking of velcro'ing some extra padding around my HD800S headband.[/size]

Sorry to hear about that fellas, my 800 is absolutely the clear winner in comfort in just about any position on top of my head of all HP's I've auditioned so far. 4 hours straight in one session, needed to remove them to hit the head and make myself another drink. I also have the 600's and they are not as comfortable, especially the headband, so bending the metal headband arms should have no effect on the top of my noggin'. I've been told I have a classic egg-shaped skull with medium sized ears (upper end of that medium scale). I would definitely experiment with additional padding in different materials. HEK's were the second most comfortable all around, slightly heavier and the ear cup padding not quite as breathable but the head band was very comfortable although it didn't look like it would be.  The PM-1's are in 3rd place (so far), and Audeze were not good for me at all, heavy and sweat inducing on my ears. 

I vaguely remember a time when one could obtain small amounts of different memory foam samples to play around with. I think it was a bedding or furniture (or both) type business.

Sep 29, 2016 at 11:58 AM Post #5,454 of 6,504
  I thought that the O2 is regarded as "wire with gain" so I just hear what the headphones are supposed to sound like or there's more to it? Also is the HD800S as unforgiving as the HD800 cause that might steer me more towards the HD600 as an all-rounder for all my music. 
Haha wasn't expecting to upgrade my amp as well :p. So I assume the HD800S are picky about amp/source like the hd800?

You really need to take just about everything you read on HeadFi with a huge grain of salt. Both the HD800 Classic and S are relatively easy to drive but they are also both very revealing. The S has been voiced so as to minimize the treble spike of the Classic and add a little more bass. 

Both scale very well with good amps. But only you will be able to determine what amp is best for you within your budget considerations. Hopefully you will be able to try out several amps as no amount of reading here will tell you what is best for you.

I personally find that my FA Elise OTL amp is magic with the S but unfortunately it is difficult to audition. 

Finally, I would just caution you to not place too much importance in going balanced. Just because an XLR cable comes with the S doesn't mean you need to use it. The whole subject of running headphones in balanced mode is very controversial and there is a lot of loose talk about that subject on HeadFi.

Sep 29, 2016 at 12:06 PM Post #5,455 of 6,504
I thought that the O2 is regarded as "wire with gain" so I just hear what the headphones are supposed to sound like or there's more to it? Also is the HD800S as unforgiving as the HD800 cause that might steer me more towards the HD600 as an all-rounder for all my music

Buddy,believe me 02 amp is decent amp for its price..measurement of the amp is also excellent..totally an entry level gem..but for the hd800/S to shine ,it should be more than just 02..There are levels left unlocked for hd800/S if pairs up with lesser gear..as your equipment getting better in the future,hd800/S will show it for you..given the 300ohm rated,it supposedly..

Last 2 weeks,i has an opportunity to listen to hd800S+ mass kobo 394($4000 amp) with chord Mojo as source in single ended mode..damn its really amazing combo..better than my chord mojo alone..IMHO..but you dont have to buy a $4000 amp to make it shine..you could step up your game in the future for sure..and appreciates your hd800S more..

By the way,hd800S driven by only my ibasso dx50 and phone produce quite good sounding though lacking in many areas..i can call it as not really an amp picky as the hd800..hope it helps you.

Sep 29, 2016 at 12:07 PM Post #5,456 of 6,504
  You really need to take just about everything you read on HeadFi with a huge grain of salt. Both the HD800 Classic and S are relatively easy to drive but they are also both very revealing. The S has been voiced so as to minimize the treble spike of the Classic and add a little more bass. 

Both scale very well with good amps. But only you will be able to determine what amp is best for you within your budget considerations. Hopefully you will be able to try out several amps as no amount of reading here will tell you what is best for you.

I personally find that my FA Elise OTL amp is magic with the S but unfortunately it is difficult to audition. 

Finally, I would just caution you to not place too much importance in going balanced. Just because an XLR cable comes with the S doesn't mean you need to use it. The whole subject of running headphones in balanced mode is very controversial and there is a lot of loose talk about that subject on HeadFi.

I guess I have just go audition them all somewhere to choose. Haha cheers for the advice!

Sep 29, 2016 at 12:16 PM Post #5,457 of 6,504
Buddy,believe me 02 amp is decent amp for its price..measurement of the amp is also excellent..totally an entry level gem..but for the hd800/S to shine ,it should be more than just 02..There are levels left unlocked for hd800/S if pairs up with lesser gear..as your equipment getting better in the future,hd800/S will show it for you..given the 300ohm rated,it supposedly..

Last 2 weeks,i has an opportunity to listen to hd800S+ mass kobo 394($4000 amp) with chord Mojo as source in single ended mode..damn its really amazing combo..better than my chord mojo alone..IMHO..but you dont have to buy a $4000 amp to make it shine..you could step up your game in the future for sure..and appreciates your hd800S more..

By the way,hd800S driven by only my ibasso dx50 and phone produce quite good sounding though lacking in many areas..i can call it as not really an amp picky as the hd800..hope it helps you.

Hopefully I can find a place to audition them with a good source and just upgrade it later on down the line :D. Appreciate all opinions helps my decision process. 

Sep 29, 2016 at 12:40 PM Post #5,458 of 6,504
Hopefully I can find a place to audition them with a good source and just upgrade it later on down the line :D. Appreciate all opinions helps my decision process. 

No problem mate..we all could help but you will owe your hearing more than any of us can do here..just get the place to audition your pair with it..and if by chance u bump into any amplifier which includes xlr balance out,give it a try with the one included inside the package..lets see how will it be..cheers!

Sep 29, 2016 at 3:38 PM Post #5,459 of 6,504

I just ordered a woven headband cover off EBay for about $5.  Not sure it will solve the problem or not but it should add some more padding and protect the stock headband a bit.  I figured $5 is nothing to lose so I'll roll the dice.  Now the long wait while it ships from China.

Sep 30, 2016 at 8:45 AM Post #5,460 of 6,504
  I personally think it is crazy to order from sites like that. Jan Meier Audio in German is a highly reputable authorized Sennheiser dealer and usually has good prices. I got my HD800S soon after it came out for considerably less than the list price. It arrived quickly and in impeccable condition.

I also ordered from a somewhat shady site and had no problems at all. Reached out to Jan first and he was helpful, but not competitive in my case. What I saved was enough to help a lot
towards a new amp. Warranty is of course, still valid.

People have to due their due diligence and check out the sellers tho. I agree that sometimes it is indeed better paying a bit more for peace of mind, especially with pricey items like these.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back