Sennheiser HD800S Unveiled!
Oct 1, 2016 at 10:54 PM Post #5,477 of 6,504
So I'm probably gonna be getting a pair of these in the next few weeks. Any EQ tips I need to be aware of? And how are they with the Vali 2 amp?

Can't speak for the Vali, but I EQ the lower bass region gently up and I trimmed around 8kHz just a tad. Experiment and see what works for you. Try no EQ at first of course.

Oct 3, 2016 at 1:13 PM Post #5,478 of 6,504

I posted my honest review of HD800S vs HD800 vs Elear vs Utopia in the Focal thread, before I went ahead to purchase the HD800S. And then I was banned from that thread forever. smh

Welcome to the modern world of tolerance!  Opinions are tolerated as long as they agree with the people you are rendering your opinion too.  Pretty pathetic.

Oct 3, 2016 at 1:16 PM Post #5,479 of 6,504

Edric Li said:

Quote:

I was at the Source event this Saturday. Had the chance to compare Utopia against HD800 and HD800S with the music I familiar with. All driven by the Cavalli prototype amp at the booth. Note that I do not take price into consideration AT ALL:

Utopia vs HD800: Utopia has a great high. Just as detailed as HD800, but without the fatigue. HD800's highs feel kind of "cheap" and in-your-face. The midrange and bass on Utopia is full and engaging, compared to the hollow, emotionless midrange and midbass of HD800. The HD800, however, has a slight advantage in overall transparency, and a huge advantage in sounstage. Even though cello sounds too bright on HD800, I can tell how far away I am from the instrument better than with Utopia.

Overall, these two cans' sound signature (neutral vs bright) are too different to be compared. Each has its pros and cons. If priced equally, I'd say go audition and pick the one that meets your taste. 

Utopia vs HD800S (with Kimber cable): I realize the real competition starts here the second I play music on HD800S. Going back and forth a couple times, I can confirm that the two are tuned very similarly. Utopia has slightly more bass quantity.

Both are engaging in the midrange, but instruments are more separated on HD800S. Both have detailed, extended yet controlled highs, but HD800S conveys a better sense of decay and timber. Bass are equally detail. Neither has prominent bass, but the Utopia has slight more bass quantity. The HD800S, again, takes the slight advantage of overall clarity and transparency, possibly because of having slightly less bass. 

Overall, these two cans worth a toe-to-toe comparison (neutral vs neutral). Even though Utopia has a little more bass, it was for from the quantity that can make Utopia stands out as a "bassy yet good" headphones. If priced equally, with advantages in so many categories and only one disadvantage (a little too bass-light to my taste) which is neither a strength of Utopia, HD800S won.

Oh, and did I mention Utopia looks (in my hands) and feels (on my head) cheap standing next to HD800S and its sibling? The comfort and fit with Senns are simply on a different stratosphere. 

Thanks for the impressions. The HD 800 S also easily beats the Utopia in terms of soundstage and imaging?

Soundstage: yes, and easily upon first listen. 
Imaging: yes, but not a clear win upon first listen. Going back and forth a few times, it becomes a clear win. 

Here you go. And in case anyone want to ask about the Elear: to my ears the Elear does not has the level of transparency to be considered as a TOTL to be in the comparison.

Oct 3, 2016 at 1:29 PM Post #5,481 of 6,504

Here you go. And in case anyone want to ask about the Elear: to my ears the Elear does not has the level of transparency to be considered as a TOTL to be in the comparison.

With so many used HD800S in the FS, I was wondering why and I even thought about getting one.

And that tells us (or, as least tells me in case you don't trust my ears) 1. how hard it is for some people to audition before deciding, and 2. how influential Tyll is to the community. 

Oct 3, 2016 at 1:32 PM Post #5,482 of 6,504
I bought the Elears un-heard and hated them (gave them to my non audiophile wife who loves them). They are very colored, there is a giant black hole in the upper Mids, the highs are super soft and only at the 10k "peak" are they are the right level. The bass is round and over done... I like the HD800S much better but still feel that there is a dip in the midrange that is keeping me from buying a pair.

I disliked the Elear enough to lose interest in the Utiopa but I will still make an effort to hear them some time.

Last week I demoed the Audeze LCX-X (2016 model), HD800S, Elear, Grado GS1000e, Grado GH-1 and my own PS500e all back to back off of an iPhone/mojo.

The LCD-X and HD800S were the best. Not sure which one I will buy (if any). I feel like the HD800S would lead down the rabbit hole of amps (sounded better on WA6SE). I Should have listened to the LCD-X more as the bass was awesome but I can't remember what the highs sounded like.... probably not a good sine lol.

Oct 3, 2016 at 1:36 PM Post #5,483 of 6,504

I bought the Elears un-heard and hated them (gave them to my non audiophile wife who loves them). They are very colored, there is a giant black hole in the upper Mids, the highs are super soft and only at the 10k "peak" are they are the right level. The bass is round and over done... I like the HD800S much better but still feel that there is a dip in the midrange that is keeping me from buying a pair.

I disliked the Elear enough to lose interest in the Utiopa but I will still make an effort to hear them some time.

Last week I demoed the Audeze LCX-X (2016 model), HD800S, Elear, Grado GS1000e, Grado GH-1 and my own PS500e all back to back off of an iPhone/mojo.

The LCD-X and HD800S were the best. Not sure which one I will buy (if any). I feel like the HD800S would lead down the rabbit hole of amps (sounded better on WA6SE). I Should have listened to the LCD-X more as the bass was awesome but I can't remember what the highs sounded like.... probably not a good sine lol.

Definitely try out HE1000 and LCD4 if you like awesome bass and fuller midrange! :p

Oct 3, 2016 at 1:36 PM Post #5,484 of 6,504

And that tells us (or, as least tells me in case you don't trust my ears) 1. how hard it is for some people to audition before deciding, and 2. how influential Tyll is to the community. 

Yes it is very hard to audition unless one is close to a dealer that has them. Definitely very influential. The HD800S will definitely be on my radar.

Oct 3, 2016 at 1:40 PM Post #5,485 of 6,504

We all have our preferences. I for one have never experienced the midrange dip you describe. I find the S a match made in heaven with my FA Elise OTL. No "rabbit hole of amps" at my house. 
wink.gif

Oct 3, 2016 at 1:46 PM Post #5,488 of 6,504

Definitely try out HE1000 and LCD4 if you like awesome bass and fuller midrange!
tongue.gif

Ok I will keep that in mind. My thought is to maybe buy the LCD-X and HD800S instead of the Utopia.

probably a good pairing compliment. I have la900 and hd800s and am waiting for prion 4 cable and interconnects to bring hd800S alive under my new amp. I thank eric for this honest review and thought immediately the utopia sounds like its in hd800S territory regardless if its sonically better or not. Im not sure where to go in this hobby from here but lcd4 has me more interested cause like la900 i have no aversion to house sound and a planar magnetic will round out the trio. Course no rush for me. 

Oct 3, 2016 at 1:55 PM Post #5,489 of 6,504
I've not followed this thread from the start, but have many people uploaded a pic of the individual frequency response graph of their HD800S that's provided on the USB-stick with the headphones?  Assuming we are allowed to, without infringing copyright etc, it would be interesting to see the level of variation from the average HD800S tuning implied on this graph (black line):  

Oct 3, 2016 at 2:13 PM Post #5,490 of 6,504

I posted my honest review of HD800S vs HD800 vs Elear vs Utopia in the Focal thread, before I went ahead to purchase the HD800S. And then I was banned from that thread forever. smh

Lol you can get band from a thread?

Definitely try out HE1000 and LCD4 if you like awesome bass and fuller midrange! :p

Definitely skip HE-1000 but I love the lush sound signature of LCD-4...might be tempted to get one

Users who are viewing this thread

Back