Schiit Mjolnir 2 Listening Impressions
Apr 30, 2017 at 6:33 PM Post #2,041 of 6,930
You are going to have a hell of time finding a better or more versatile headphone amp for $850 than the Mjolnir 2.

Apr 30, 2017 at 7:30 PM Post #2,042 of 6,930
D-getters ended in the early part of 1960, what is the code on the tubes? Around the beginning of 1956came the PW tubes up until about early 1958 (Heerlen). What is the code on the 2nd pair? Really like the Mullard/Brimar sound but German tubes are #1 for me. You should pop over to the Lyr tube rollers thread, more traffic than the MJ2 tube rolling thread.

The CCa's are in the amp now and I won't pull them out for another week or so.

On the less fancy Amperex 6922's, I can find a 60-42 marking and a "7L4 or TL4" and a "*DE" or *OE"

I do keep an eye on the Lyr thread, out of interest. I started the MJ2 tube rolling thread as the circuit design between the two amps is different leading to different reproduction characteristics.

At this point, be it early days for some fo these tubes, to MY ear, I prefer the sound of the Amperex tubes very much; the Mullards were not at all what I expected them to be, but you can read about that on the MJ2 tube rolling thread post discussing that experience.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2017 at 8:44 PM Post #2,043 of 6,930
You are going to have a hell of time finding a better or more versatile headphone amp for $850 than the Mjolnir 2.

I couldn't agree more—the only place would be the universe of vintage stuff, and that is by and large for speakers, unsuitable for most headphones (as I am now finding). Certainly if you add the caveats *new* and *under warranty* (five year or otherwise) it is the only serious candidate. I still can't believe the WA-8 actually costs *more* than Ragnarok.

May 1, 2017 at 4:59 PM Post #2,044 of 6,930
The CCa's are in the amp now and I won't pull them out for another week or so.

On the less fancy Amperex 6922's, I can find a 60-42 marking and a "7L4 or TL4" and a "*DE" or *OE"

I do keep an eye on the Lyr thread, out of interest. I started the MJ2 tube rolling thread as the circuit design between the two amps is different leading to different reproduction characteristics.

At this point, be it early days for some fo these tubes, to MY ear, I prefer the sound of the Amperex tubes very much; the Mullards were not at all what I expected them to be, but you can read about that on the MJ2 tube rolling thread post discussing that experience.

Got the Lyr 2 as well, the same tubes in the Lyr 2 and MJ2 share the same characteristics. The MJ2 just happens to be a much better amp. Well worth the $849 I paid for it. The Lyr 2 is still a good amp in its own right, decided to keep it rather than selling it.

May 1, 2017 at 5:21 PM Post #2,045 of 6,930
Got the Lyr 2 as well, the same tubes in the Lyr 2 and MJ2 share the same characteristics. The MJ2 just happens to be a much better amp. Well worth the $849 I paid for it. The Lyr 2 is still a good amp in its own right, decided to keep it rather than selling it.

In general, I give away old low-fi/mid-fi gear rather than trying to sell it. If a friend can't afford it and would listen to something daily that's just sitting in my closet, it's very hard to justify holding onto it. Vali is going to be next.

May 4, 2017 at 4:58 PM Post #2,046 of 6,930
So I got a balanced cable from FAW today and now running Mojo -> MJ2 -> Ether C
and the sound is now more V-shaped. I don't like it...
Yeah there is considerable boost in extension both ways, dynamics, detail, seperation and so on but the sound is painfully harsh.

I tried running SE in and also using a SE->Balanced cable adapter for "balanced" in.
Didn't change anything. The balanced just sounds way more aggressive and the highs sound harsh.
It sounds like solid state. No tube smoothness. I've tried some Teslas, Siemens 70's and the stock tubes, still harsh.

Do people also experience this? SE sounds a lot smoother and non-fatiguing, more midrangey, but not as dynamic or resolving. I like the SE out a lot more so far, as I can listen to it for hours on end with no fatigue.

Last edited:
May 4, 2017 at 6:05 PM Post #2,047 of 6,930
Why don't you call up Schiit and talk to them or email them?

After adjusting the volume, I hear only small differences in sound quality between XLR and SE. I think the noise floor is a little lower with XLR and there is a bit more detail and clarity. It doesn't sound way more aggressive nor are the highs harsh or tiresome.

I am using much higher quality tubes though. I am using both early 1960's Siemens CCa and 1975 Soviet Reflektor 6N23P tubes. See here:

https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/6...922-6n23p-e88cc-cca-7308-e188cc-tubes.761078/

May 4, 2017 at 6:20 PM Post #2,048 of 6,930
Yeah there is considerable boost in extension both ways, dynamics, detail, seperation and so on but the sound is painfully harsh.

I tried running SE in and also using a SE->Balanced cable adapter for "balanced" in.
Didn't change anything. The balanced just sounds way more aggressive and the highs sound harsh.
It sounds like solid state. No tube smoothness. I've tried some Teslas, Siemens 70's and the stock tubes, still harsh.

Do people also experience this? SE sounds a lot smoother and non-fatiguing, more midrangey, but not as dynamic or resolving. I like the SE out a lot more so far, as I can listen to it for hours on end with no fatigue.

Tesla`s and Siemens to a smaller degree will brighten things up. You might want to give Heerlens, Mullards, Brimars a shot. Had a pair of Tesla`s and they are the harshest sounding tubes by far that I have tried. Found the Russian tubes 74 and 75 Reflektors SWGP too harsh sounding especially the 75`s. Not as bad as the Tesla`s though.

May 4, 2017 at 6:33 PM Post #2,049 of 6,930

I also got a Forza-AW XLR cable a few days ago...I get everything you say, except the harshness or fatigue you describe. My setup is different to yours tho'. I'm using Siemens ECC88...better than stock tubes with my phones.

May 4, 2017 at 6:34 PM Post #2,050 of 6,930
I don't feel that the Siemens CCa nor the Reflektor tubes brighten things up. What they bring is detail, clarity, and what I consider nice attack and decay speed. What I mean by that is the attack and decay speed is what I would expect to hear from the real instrument. These characteristics could make some recording sound harsh at higher volumes...but those volumes would not be comfortable to listen at for me.

May 4, 2017 at 6:37 PM Post #2,051 of 6,930
I also got a Forza-AW XLR cable a few days ago...I get everything you say, except the harshness or fatigue you describe. My setup is different to yours tho'. I'm using Siemens ECC88...better than stock tubes with my phones.

I've been running a pair of the Siemens ECC88's for about a month, very nice sound.

Last edited:
May 4, 2017 at 7:44 PM Post #2,052 of 6,930
Why don't you call up Schiit and talk to them or email them?

After adjusting the volume, I hear only small differences in sound quality between XLR and SE. I think the noise floor is a little lower with XLR and there is a bit more detail and clarity. It doesn't sound way more aggressive nor are the highs harsh or tiresome.

I am using much higher quality tubes though. I am using both early 1960's Siemens CCa and 1975 Soviet Reflektor 6N23P tubes. See here:

https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/6...922-6n23p-e88cc-cca-7308-e188cc-tubes.761078/

Just sent them an email. Yeah the noise floor is lower with XLR. And yeah it's not really WAY more aggressive but enough to make it painful to listen to.

The transients are just too sharp and sounds like the highs were boosted like
2-3dB when compared to SE. Also the sub-bass extends noticeably lower and hits harder. Maybe need some midrangey tubes or just stick with SE.

May 5, 2017 at 1:43 PM Post #2,053 of 6,930
I can't wait to test MJ2 as a preamp. I'm getting two RCA splitters so I can test the integrated amp straight from the DAC and with MJ2 in the middle with the switch of an input knob. Monoprice estimates the cables arrive early next week.

May 5, 2017 at 5:27 PM Post #2,055 of 6,930
Finally chucked in some proper tubes in the MJ2, 1963 Siemens CCa. Very very good experience. Last time I used em was in my Ly2. Best $850 I spent in a long time getting the MJ2.

Brighter or more detail and clarity?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back