Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Apr 18, 2017 at 4:00 PM Post #4,426 of 6,472
For me, the inputs are the same minus the gain increase from balanced signal.  Whether your DACs single ended and balanced outputs sound the same is another story.  

Apr 18, 2017 at 7:19 PM Post #4,428 of 6,472
True.  Balanced output will sound different if the headphones really need the extra driver control provided by the additional power of balanced operation.  Efficient headphones will just be louder. 

Apr 18, 2017 at 11:32 PM Post #4,431 of 6,472
  Is that 4pin XLR to TRRS?  If it's balanced to anything other than balanced you'll have a very bad day.  

Your original assumption is correct. 4 pin XLR to 2.5mm TRRS A&K style.

Apr 19, 2017 at 8:49 PM Post #4,432 of 6,472
-Bought an expensive z270 asus motherboard, SupremeFX audio, Sabre ES9023P DAC and Texas Instruments RV4580 OP-amp.

-Proceeded to hear crackle, distortions when frequency went too high or too low, and had to heavily EQ for meh sound.

-Spent 3 months researching, namely this place. 

-Had Mr Speakers Aeon on my forecast, Balanced cables and all, so narrowed my criteria.

-Called Mr Speakers, and was told they use the Jotunheim in house for business. 

-Spent 2 weeks going through this long long LONG thread...

-Bought the Jotunheim, and on the whim, opted not to get the internal dac but the Modi Multibit.

-Got it plugged in, was satisfied, very much so. Tested all my songs, and no distortion/crackle/static.

-2 hours later, things got better. Was more happy. Got even better after leaving it on all night.

Just wanted to say thanks for the help, all!

Currently using a humble set of Viso HP50 and they sound so much better on the new setup than the old one through onboard audio. I expect no less, but when I fired up my first game I was absolutely blown away by the difference. I had read about the Modi Multibit having high latency, and I couldn't even remotely tell anything was off. 

I think, aside from the overall sound in music and gaming bring so much more crisp, that it was the soundstage and imaging that's surprised me the most. Movies with a lot of action scenes are phenomenal, as far as improvements.  

Apr 19, 2017 at 8:53 PM Post #4,433 of 6,472
I also have an asus motherboard (Z170) with Supreme Audio, and it's quite abit better then my previous motherboards, and integrated solutions. But it's no match for even the Jotunheim's internal dac. You may consider something like Regen/Recovery, or even Xmos F1 to get a bit more out of modi. I don't know what kind of difference it will make with Modi, but some have claimed improvement even with Yggy vs XMOS F1. The difference was large with jotunheim's dac.

Apr 19, 2017 at 9:18 PM Post #4,434 of 6,472
Well I went from a z87 with the realtek 898 with the soundblaster x-fi mb3. Wasn't bad, and was all i knew. The SupremeFX did seem better, but with no EQ at all it sounded extremely muddy with the hp50's. I settled for deep and bright, for the best sound i could get from them without too much work. 

The Modi MB+Jot however has no EQ going on in the system anywhere and just sounds so dang good. 

I will look into the Regen/Recovery and Xmos F1. Thanks for the suggestion.

Apr 20, 2017 at 1:26 PM Post #4,435 of 6,472
Loving the Jot.  The first day of listening was just "ok."  After a week, it's now "great."  Anybody else has a unbalance unit where there bottom chassis isn't perfectly flat from side to side?  My unit left front side sits slightly lowering than the lower right.  Not a big deal unless I was pushing down the lower right corner all day, but honestly didn't expect it.

Apr 20, 2017 at 2:09 PM Post #4,436 of 6,472
  Anybody else has a unbalance unit where there bottom chassis isn't perfectly flat from side to side?  My unit left front side sits slightly lowering than the lower right.  Not a big deal unless I was pushing down the lower right corner all day, but honestly didn't expect it.

My unit is missing the bottom position markings of the front panel switches, and the switches themselves are not aligned well. Some quality control issues there, didn't expect it too but can live with it.

Apr 20, 2017 at 4:26 PM Post #4,438 of 6,472

Users who are viewing this thread

Back