Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jul 17, 2017 at 4:45 PM Post #22,066 of 148,648
For those of you who don't want to send your DAC in for Gen 5, just wait a bit...we'll have them for self-install eventually. We're just trying to make sure we have enough boards for current production and upgrades in the short term.

Is that going to be something for the solder geeks or just a matter of using the right screwdriver? Really tempted to get that upgrade, not tempted at all to send my Gumby over the big pond...

That aside, congrats on the new Schiit, looks awesome!

Jul 17, 2017 at 4:47 PM Post #22,067 of 148,648
Page finally came up got it ordered, page is not easy to navigate. Thank you

Jul 17, 2017 at 4:50 PM Post #22,070 of 148,648
what ever

Jul 17, 2017 at 4:50 PM Post #22,071 of 148,648
Jason,

Great job on the release today!

Really glad to see the Eitr. That was exactly what I was hoping you were hinting at on one of your posts weeks ago. I'll probably get one after I settle down from the impact my wallet just took.

Just ordered GEN5 USB and multi-bit upgrade for my Gungnir. Bought it used with GEN1 and DS. I stole the GEN2 from my Bifrost post upgrade to MB. My Bifrost is with bigro right now (it's the Bifrost in his pic of his desk), I'll steal it back until the Gungnir is upgraded and put the GEN3 USB back in it.

This is my anniversary present from SWMBO. Yeah, I'm that lucky.

Later, GEN5 USB for the Bifrost I guess :).

Jul 17, 2017 at 4:52 PM Post #22,072 of 148,648
Is that going to be something for the solder geeks or just a matter of using the right screwdriver? Really tempted to get that upgrade, not tempted at all to send my Gumby over the big pond...

That aside, congrats on the new Schiit, looks awesome!

If it's like the current USB cards, remove screws/nuts, pull the board out, pull the card off, line up the pins on the new card and press. Put it back together. As someone who has swapped USB cards between his Bifrost and Gungnir, the hardest part is the damn LEDs. They are hard to get lined up. After that, just put the screws back in. There was/is a tutorial of it around here somewhere with pictures.

Jul 17, 2017 at 4:59 PM Post #22,075 of 148,648
That would be my preferred way also. The hardest part is probably figuring out how to disassemble the case.

Got the notice that my Yggy was ready to be upgraded. Explained the situation about being in Canada, no original box, etc., etc, to the person at the other end of the email....and she refused to ship the board to do myself. Order cancelled. This sucks. :frowning2:

Edit: I see Jason just mentioned they wil be available for self install eventually. The wait begins.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2017 at 5:02 PM Post #22,076 of 148,648
Jul 17, 2017 at 5:11 PM Post #22,079 of 148,648
2017 Chapter 9: Skipping a Generation
Now, the reason we didn’t pursue this kind of isolation on Gen 2 was simple: there weren’t many good options for it. The common isolators used for USB 1.1 speeds did not work with the Gen 2’s USB 2.0 speeds, so there was no “easy” solution.

I was looking for galvanic USB isolation for other reasons (scope probing of USB-power devices) and found the Silanna ICEUSB series has parts that are USB2 compatible. The HifiMeDIY USB2 isolator uses such a part.
This thread over at EEvblog talks about it.

Jul 17, 2017 at 5:12 PM Post #22,080 of 148,648
With gen 5 usb you only have one digital packet type to worry about, very short traces and clocks right there. With a usb spdif device you convert one digital packet to another one, then have to extract the clock from the digital stream, rec-clock, send it out over another connection, another wire, receive it at another connection and let the dac do its thing. Not as simple I suppose.
In case you do not know, clock recovery of USB is more complicated than clock recovery from SPDIF. Both formats require clock recovery/phase locked loop circuits, and clock recovery from SPDIF is easier than from USB, Take all that you read with a box of salt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back