Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jul 17, 2017 at 3:24 PM Post #22,036 of 151,047
Yep. An upgrade like this is really, REALLY easy, if you are experienced with electronics.
That would be my preferred way also. The hardest part is probably figuring out how to disassemble the case.

Jul 17, 2017 at 3:31 PM Post #22,038 of 151,047
Since Audiophiles can never put up with a one box solution, I assume most here will go for the PC > Wyrd > Eitr solution?

For those who have an up-gradable DAC, what's the benefit to getting Gen 5 installed over buying Eitr? The con of the former is the need to "send it in and wait" and the con of the latter is having a second box? For me, as a Mimby owner, there is only one option.

Jul 17, 2017 at 3:37 PM Post #22,041 of 151,047
Read through the FAQ page, odds are you will be ok, also note it's differentially balanced, also on FAQ page.

Thanks, I had already read the FAQ. I talked to Jason at AXPONA and he highly recommended against 4 ohm mono in my application due to thermal shutdown, I would be running the Vidar quite hard the majority of the time.

Jul 17, 2017 at 3:38 PM Post #22,042 of 151,047
Gen5 vs. Eitr is the next debate I guess?

Jul 17, 2017 at 3:39 PM Post #22,043 of 151,047
If you don't like tubes but want a balanced (2x Vidar solution), which pre-amp to get?

Jul 17, 2017 at 3:40 PM Post #22,044 of 151,047
I've been SO looking forward to this coming out, stopped in and listened to it at AXPONA and was quite happy with what I heard. Popped on the Schiit website this afternoon to order one, and then noticed that it only had a single XLR input after some reading I saw that it only had balanced in for mono only, now I'm heart-broke because there's no stereo balanced intput and I can't run mono because it's a 4 ohm load... :frowning2:
Purchase two readily available balanced XLR to RCA summing adapters and use Vidar as a stereo amplifier. The XLR balanced input is for using Vidar as a monophonic monoblock amplifier.

Jul 17, 2017 at 3:43 PM Post #22,046 of 151,047
Yes I got that, but perhaps I should rephrase the question: with Gen 5 / Eitr now available, is AES still the preferred input for yaggy? I got the AES/EBU streamer in the first place because of this; but if Gen 5 offers better or similar performance, I might consider to swap it out with Mac mini for versatility.
You need to listen to each interface to make a decision.

Jul 17, 2017 at 3:44 PM Post #22,047 of 151,047
Yes I got that, but perhaps I should rephrase the question: with Gen 5 / Eitr now available, is AES still the preferred input for yaggy? I got the AES/EBU streamer in the first place because of this; but if Gen 5 offers better or similar performance, I might consider to swap it out with Mac mini for versatility.

I don't think anyone has the new yggy with gen 5 yet. Be patient.

Jul 17, 2017 at 3:49 PM Post #22,048 of 151,047
Thanks, I had already read the FAQ. I talked to Jason at AXPONA and he highly recommended against 4 ohm mono in my application due to thermal shutdown, I would be running the Vidar quite hard the majority of the time.
Well, there's always the next model...:beerchug:

Jul 17, 2017 at 3:50 PM Post #22,049 of 151,047
Since Audiophiles can never put up with a one box solution, I assume most here will go for the PC > Wyrd > Eitr solution?

For those who have an up-gradable DAC, what's the benefit to getting Gen 5 installed over buying Eitr? The con of the former is the need to "send it in and wait" and the con of the latter is having a second box? For me, as a Mimby owner, there is only one option.

With gen 5 usb you only have one digital packet type to worry about, very short traces and clocks right there. With a usb spdif device you convert one digital packet to another one, then have to extract the clock from the digital stream, rec-clock, send it out over another connection, another wire, receive it at another connection and let the dac do its thing. Not as simple I suppose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back