Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jun 2, 2017 at 10:38 AM Post #20,658 of 151,363
I must say the ignore button works better on this system than it did on the old. Looks like I may need to put it to use.

Never have been a fan of people who try to regularly stir up Schiit...

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2017 at 10:42 AM Post #20,659 of 151,363
I have decided to go to the LA Audio Show dressed up as Diana Krall. I bet slefty gets all dreamy eyed when I play the piano in his listening room and he breaks down and finally admits to why he hates Diana Krall so much.

He has pianist envy.

Have you heard her new album??? HD Tracks has a good price on a 192KHz version....I know people supposedly tire of her for equipment demo's....but her new albums has vocals that are flat startling!!!! Seen her in concert multiple times and she puts on a great show whether she's with her three band mates or with a full orchestra!

Jun 2, 2017 at 10:52 AM Post #20,660 of 151,363
Have you heard her new album??? HD Tracks has a good price on a 192KHz version....I know people supposedly tire of her for equipment demo's....but her new albums has vocals that are flat startling!!!! Seen her in concert multiple times and she puts on a great show whether she's with her three band mates or with a full orchestra!

Her albums are consistently well produced and engineered. Never seen her live but I would like too.

Plus she's kinda hot...

Jun 2, 2017 at 10:54 AM Post #20,661 of 151,363

I just purchased her album "Turn Up The Quiet" on vinyl (not because it "sounds" better, but because I wanted it on vinyl). If that is the one you are referring to, then yup. I like her singing. I like her playing. I enjoy people with talent, all the more so because I have none but I know it when I hear it.

As for the gentleman that is about to use "ignore" I would ask this - Why not just NOT read what gives you "grief". Nothing said here harms me in any way, shape or form. Why? I am an adult. I have a sense of humor and I do not need a safe space. Not saying you need one but using "ignore" sounds like the beginning.

Do what pleases you and if you are fortunate, you will be happier.

Jun 2, 2017 at 10:57 AM Post #20,662 of 151,363
Her albums are consistently well produced and engineered. Never seen her live but I would like too.

Plus she's kinda hot...

I agree. Beautiful and talented. Two things I will never be "accused" of. Even if I showed up at slefty's room with a toy piano wearing a skirt and wig.:ksc75smile:

Gad! The thought of actually doing that makes me want to hurl, LOL!

Jun 2, 2017 at 11:23 AM Post #20,663 of 151,363
I agree. Beautiful and talented. Two things I will never be "accused" of. Even if I showed up at slefty's room with a toy piano wearing a skirt and wig.:ksc75smile:

Gad! The thought of actually doing that makes me want to hurl, LOL!

Hurl? I'll have to ignore that (without the button).

Jun 2, 2017 at 11:32 AM Post #20,664 of 151,363
I appreciate all the excitement for Vidar, but I think we may be closer to the Eitr? I know it'll be unveiled/announced when it's good and ready, but I think we're close to the end of the last official ETA. If not, maybe Jason can give us an update? :)

I just wouldn't want Schiit to think Vidar is the only thing we're eager to throw money at them for...

Be aware we are waiting for 3 items now.
1. Vidar
2. Eitr
3. MP/The Gadget.

Jun 2, 2017 at 11:53 AM Post #20,665 of 151,363

Plus she's kinda hot...

A year or two ago my wife and I were fortunate to finally get tickets to see her at the Capitol Theatre in downtown Clearwater, a small venue we really like that was a movie theater from 1920's, and only because she did two shows on consecutive nights. We were able to get two separate single tickets, she sells out fast! Some artists in spite of their talent just don't have a knack for clever banter with the audience, she has both in spades. We won't miss her again if we can help it, she had the full band, it was the Wallflower tour. Playing piano in a hockey bar as a kid, etc. go Canada, fun stuff. ORT would most definitely be entertained:beerchug:

Jun 2, 2017 at 1:28 PM Post #20,669 of 151,363
Any appetite for a Balanced Output Loki?

Pretty sure Mike would tell you, never gonna happen...

Actually he stated the reason was he fell down the DSD rabbit hole once with the Loki and then watched it take 2 years to sell out the first run...

Jun 2, 2017 at 1:53 PM Post #20,670 of 151,363
Some news, in the absence of a new chapter (I'll try to do this every week, with chapters every other week):

1. We finally have everything we need to begin Vidar chassis assembly. Good news!
2. We will supposedly have Vidar first articles next week from the PCB assembly house. Homework for you: find the key word in this sentence. Hint: it starts with an "s".
3. We actually have a ton of stuff in the pipeline, including, yes, stuff we haven't talked about, but when it ships depends on many factors. However, expect a busy summer and fall.

And, a happy report from another sourcing expedition.

If you've read the last chapter, you know about the abject failure of several US manufacturers to give enough of a Schiit about a little inductor, and the subsequent quoting and ordering of the product from China. Fortunately, that's not always the case.

I thought we were heading for another case of "oh crap, contact China" a couple of weeks ago when we had been sitting for 3 weeks waiting for a quote for a new deep-drawn/machined piece from a supplier we're currently working with in the USA. The capper was that they couldn't supply samples, of any kind, not even something for us to cut to fit for testing. Since this part is a critical piece of another unmentioned/maybe-might-happen/maybe-might-not-happen product, it's kind of hard to figure out if we want to do it if we (a) don't know the price, and (b) don't have anything to test with. The alternative was to literally billet machine a prototype, but that would be costly and not representative of the final product.

Why wouldn't a current supplier want to work with us? I don't know. Probably simply because we're not a big customer, and also probably since they have a lock-up on "top of mind" for their industry.

But, in any case, it was time to see if anyone was hungrier. I did the usual dance--sending a drawing out for quote amongst this company's competitors. Competitors in the USA were thin on the ground, but I was able to identify three possible alternate suppliers. I let them know that the drawing was provisional, and that we could use a slightly different size of can if they had something close (the same thing we'd told our current supplier.)

One responded with a quote for custom tooling, which is fine, but it didn't get us any closer to having something we could use for the prototype--buying $5K in tooling and getting 10,000 pcs is not exactly the most efficient way to get the 1-2 pieces you need.

One didn't respond.

And one said, "Yep, we have something like that, we already make tons of them, we could cut it down for your app, and if you wanted a couple of unfinished samples, we could send them right out."

Holy schiit. Someone who actually read the email.

Of course, samples are not a quote, and the quote could be astronomical. But that was another matter. First, the samples. I gave them our FedEx number, and I had two samples in a few days. And they were perfect. They fit the need, they could easily be cut down for a prototype, and our problem was solved. By the way, you may soon be seeing this prototype in public--it's a significant enough departure for us that we figured it may be, like, intelligent to show it to you before we commit to some (very expensive) tooling. More on this later.

So, I told them that the samples were perfect, and please quote us on finished and unfinished pieces. (Finished means, "cut to length, with some holes in it, powder-coated, and screened," whereas Unfinished was simply cut to length.

They came back in a few days...at eminently fair pricing. We'll be working with these guys.

To the other US manufacturers: this is how you do it.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back