Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jun 3, 2017 at 12:15 AM Post #20,686 of 149,160
I am on the other end if the scale. If it sounds great, I don't care if it looks like a Mack truck, or if it looks like a Mack truck ran over it. This is not to say that I don't appreciate good looking equipment, just to say that appearance is a low priority for which I am not willing to pay any significant amount. Also, I happen to like simple and happen to like the looks of Schiit's equipment. Plain, simple lines, simple rounded off corners. looks good to me.

J.P.

Jun 3, 2017 at 12:26 AM Post #20,687 of 149,160
I am on the other end if the scale. If it sounds great, I don't care if it looks like a Mack truck, or if it looks like a Mack truck ran over it. This is not to say that I don't appreciate good looking equipment, just to say that appearance is a low priority for which I am not willing to pay any significant amount. Also, I happen to like simple and happen to like the looks of Schiit's equipment. Plain, simple lines, simple rounded off corners. looks good to me.

J.P.

Well stated and while I doubt you would want some thing in your room that looked like a Mac Truck or some thing run over by one, I can appreciate both the sentiment and reasoning behind it. To me, it seems nigh on impossible to purchase affordable well made equipment that works so badly that the sound is offal (play on words ALERT!), ergo I want it to be pleasing not only to the ears but also to my eyes and to my hands as equipment is all so a tactile experience.

Again, well said. Thank you!

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2017 at 3:14 AM Post #20,688 of 149,160
I am not a huge fan of powered speakers. To me the ideal stereo system, whether headphones or speakers, should be individually modular and upgrade-able. I would rather buy a $300 amp and $300 speakers than $600 powered speakers. Powered speakers hold to the mentality that everything is disposable. Don't like your speakers anymore? throw away the amp with them! The Micca MB42X are the third set of bookshelf speakers I've had for my office and I'm still using the SMSL SA-50 I bought with the first set. I would love some ELAC Uni-Fi UB5 speakers but I can't justify the price in my mind when the Miccas sound so damn good.

Full disclosure, my cousin has both Kanto Yumi with Yuri sub and Edifier R2000DB at his house and I think both setups sound great. I just wouldn't want them for myself.

edit: also I like my office speakers wall-mounted and I don't think powered speakers would be ideal for that.

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2017 at 7:33 AM Post #20,689 of 149,160
I am not a huge fan of powered speakers. To me the ideal stereo system, whether headphones or speakers, should be individually modular and upgrade-able. I would rather buy a $300 amp and $300 speakers than $600 powered speakers. Powered speakers hold to the mentality that everything is disposable. Don't like your speakers anymore? throw away the amp with them! The Micca MB42X are the third set of bookshelf speakers I've had for my office and I'm still using the SMSL SA-50 I bought with the first set. I would love some ELAC Uni-Fi UB5 speakers but I can't justify the price in my mind when the Miccas sound so damn good.

Full disclosure, my cousin has both Kanto Yumi with Yuri sub and Edifier R2000DB at his house and I think both setups sound great. I just wouldn't want them for myself.

edit: also I like my office speakers wall-mounted and I don't think powered speakers would be ideal for that.

Yeah...same here. Could've got the powered Emotiva Stealth 5's for a $100 less than the amp/speaker combo but I like the thought of being able to replace one component as needed.
That...and I am on the lookout for nice set of unmodded HE-6s to play through the headphone jack.

Jun 3, 2017 at 3:29 PM Post #20,692 of 149,160
I am not a huge fan of powered speakers. To me the ideal stereo system, whether headphones or speakers, should be individually modular and upgrade-able. I would rather buy a $300 amp and $300 speakers than $600 powered speakers. Powered speakers hold to the mentality that everything is disposable. Don't like your speakers anymore? throw away the amp with them! The Micca MB42X are the third set of bookshelf speakers I've had for my office and I'm still using the SMSL SA-50 I bought with the first set. I would love some ELAC Uni-Fi UB5 speakers but I can't justify the price in my mind when the Miccas sound so damn good..
Fully agree on your view on poweredspeakers.
Another issue which might lead to a premature disposal is inherent design flaw to put a heating element, the amp, in the same box as your speaker units. This will inevitably put the units under unnecessary thermal stress.
You will get the same benefits by placing e.g. a Vidar in mono block mode close by with a short speaker cable. But avoid the negative effects of heat dissipation and what letmebefrank states.

Jun 3, 2017 at 3:36 PM Post #20,693 of 149,160
Another issue which might lead to a premature disposal is inherent design flaw to put a heating element, the amp, in the same box as your speaker units. This will inevitably put the units under unnecessary thermal stress.
You will get the same benefits by placing e.g. a Vidar in mono block mode close by with a short speaker cable. But avoid the negative effects of heat dissipation and what letmebefrank states.
All active sub woofers do just that with no problems.

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2017 at 4:21 PM Post #20,694 of 149,160

Like anything else there are tradeoffs. Powered speakers usually dispense with the passive crossover network and all the compromises therein. This means the amps have an easier load. Yes you can biamp externally and use electronic crossovers but in the powered speaker case, the manufacturer has done all that work for you. I have a full source, preamp, amp, speaker setup in my main listening room. For computer music surfing and mixing, I have a pair of powered monitors. No desire to have to have another stack of electronics on my desk. In my live mixing avocation, we use powered main speakers and powered stage monitors. It's just easier. Less cabling, less hum and noise in the system. It's pretty common and I doubt that the speakers are being affecting by the heat of the amps. Live sound= let's make it easy, reliable, and sound good. Home audiophile= let's see how many different pretty shiny things we can buy and make it sound good. Different applications.

Jun 3, 2017 at 4:47 PM Post #20,695 of 149,160
IMG_20170603_163429583.jpg
Is it universally agreed that we don't start clicking the Schiit out of the refresh button until Thursday June 8th at 16:00 UT? Is that fair enough for the other side of the pond?:beerchug:

Jun 3, 2017 at 4:55 PM Post #20,696 of 149,160
To reach that lofty level you have to spend entirely too much time on Head-Fi, and get into long winded arguments / discussions on such things as the width and depth of the soundstage as it relates to the angle of the transducer and the adjustments made by the recording engineer. And whether that is actually the way that the artist intended it, or only that of the headphone engineer and recording engineer, and therefore, not a true representation of the original music as played at the venue or in the studio.

Your opinion, like most others here on Head-Fi, need have little basis in fact. Actually, it will more rapidly inflate your post count if you ignore facts altogether, and just keep insisting that your opinion is the correct one, and all others are fallacious.

Or not. :ksc75smile:

Not necessarily. I reached my level, after a few years, through the process of upgrading my rigs several times over. That process required a lot of work on the threads. Reading, asking questions, gaining support from Head-Fi friends, decisions, then posting my impressions after the upgrades. At times repeating earlier posts, as people new to the threads ask the same questions that have been answered several times...

I always appreciate the experience of Head-Fiers who own, owned or auditioned the equipment. They helped me. It was valuable, and still is - to this day.

FWIW Friends,
RCBinTN

Jun 3, 2017 at 6:16 PM Post #20,699 of 149,160

I like both types of set-ups - my main rig is passive monitors, but for the desktop I use a pair of Genelecs with a Jotunheim. The ones I have are designed to be mounted on walls, BTW. They have dip switches to adjust the speakers for different locations...

Jun 3, 2017 at 6:47 PM Post #20,700 of 149,160
I like both types of set-ups - my main rig is passive monitors, but for the desktop I use a pair of Genelecs with a Jotunheim. The ones I have are designed to be mounted on walls, BTW. They have dip switches to adjust the speakers for different locations...

I was more concerned with weight and the amount of wires running to each speaker.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back