Schiit Freya Impressions and Tube Rolling Thread
Jun 24, 2017 at 8:31 PM Post #766 of 3,234
The speakers I am looking at are a 4 ohm design and claim:

98.82dB 2.83V@1m sensitivity

At 4 ohms, a Vidar amp in monoblock mode has 400 watts of power.

The powered monitors are:

87 dB (2.83 V/1 m)

They are 4 ohms at 100 watts

It sounds like the hum is going to be loud!

At RMAF, Jason said that in mono block configuration the Vidar prototypes of that vintage put out well more than 400 watts before they shut off. With a speaker that sensitive you won't hear anything near the noise floor of your system.

Jun 24, 2017 at 11:10 PM Post #767 of 3,234
I believe cskippy is mentioning suitable impedance match between the output impedance of Freya with the input impedance of power amp.

As stated in Freya manual, the jfet buffer output impedance is 75 ohms SE, 600 ohms balanced while the tube Output Impedance: 210 ohms.
A mismatch of preamp output vs power amp input impedance might cause problem. But since you are getting vidar, I wouldn't think it will be a problem.

All of my audio components are plugged into a basic TrippLite power strip which, in turn, is plugged into a Topaz 2.5kVa .0005pf isolation transformer. So, there should be no power or ground loop issues. The issue follows the tube and most tubes are silent.

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2017 at 11:45 PM Post #768 of 3,234
It's not happening with all tubes......

Jun 25, 2017 at 12:22 AM Post #769 of 3,234
Freya tube stage has a really high gain, you'll notice when switching between Passive, JFET +1dB and Tube +14dB. Higher noise tubes like your bad "Bad Boy" are going to have some hiss or hum.

Jun 25, 2017 at 1:16 AM Post #770 of 3,234
Okay. I have 1 pair of "Bad Boys" that are quiet. I have 1 pair that both "Bad Boys" hum. Then I have 2 pair where 1 "Bad Boy" in each pair hum. So I have 4 that hum and 4 that don't......

Jun 25, 2017 at 3:02 AM Post #771 of 3,234
This Freya is a real piece of work, in other words a fine piece of gear. My speakers have never sounded better. I don't know if part of it is the AES solution for the yggy but I'm really enjoying tunes with the AES fed yggy to Freya to Focal Solo6be. Fun times

Jun 25, 2017 at 1:10 PM Post #772 of 3,234
Okay. I have 1 pair of "Bad Boys" that are quiet. I have 1 pair that both "Bad Boys" hum. Then I have 2 pair where 1 "Bad Boy" in each pair hum. So I have 4 that hum and 4 that don't......

Have you tried the ones that hum as followers behind the two silent ones? They might make good followers and you will have silence.

Jun 25, 2017 at 6:52 PM Post #773 of 3,234
Have you tried the ones that hum as followers behind the two silent ones? They might make good followers and you will have silence.

I could do that. But I really don't want to use the best sounding tubes in the follower (output buffer) stage. Besides the tubes that came with Freya, I have several pairs of Sylvania 6SN7GT (2 hole) and 6SN7GTA tubes for that function. I also have a pair of Raytheon 6SN7WGT flat black plate tubes to use with the very nice Raytheon VT-231 flat black plate tubes I have.

I won't know how bad the noise is until I get my full 2 channel setup up and running.

Jun 26, 2017 at 7:57 PM Post #774 of 3,234
So bummed... after having one of my '52 Sylvania 6SN7GT 3 holes die on me i began searching for another pair or quad... found a guy selling 3 of them...said they tested well but had not actually put them in an amp/preamp to test for noise and the like so i offered him $50 before i go to bed. Over night he sends a message saying sure i'll accept $50, i will just add a buy it now button for you. I see this when i wake up rush over to the listing only to find that someone else bought it! haha! DAMNIT! Oh well... the hunt continues... I'm also looking for a pair of RCA 5692's... if anyone is getting rid of either of these two please PM me! Thanks!

Jun 28, 2017 at 11:07 AM Post #776 of 3,234
The left tubes are the output buffer stage and the right tubes are the gain stage. Put the good tubes on the right!

I'm still confused which ones are the gain tube and which ones are the output buffer. So if you are facing Freya from the front (eyes facing volume knob) are the left ones the gain tubes?

See what Winders said on the previous page...

Jun 29, 2017 at 3:27 PM Post #777 of 3,234
Be careful how you bid on eBay....

The more I listen to music with Raytheon JAN-CRP-6SN7GT VT-231 (flat black plates, 8 copper through rods) tubes in the gain stage in Freya the more I like them. In fact, I like them just as much as I like the Sylvania 6SN7GT "Bad Boy" tubes.

It's hard to find this particular version of the Raytheon VT-231 tubes. Many of them have "T" shaped plates which are reputed to not sound as good. There are also flat plate version that don't have 8 copper through rods. I have a pair of those and they sound good too...probably just as good. But I know I really like the sound of the 8 copper rod version.

I decided I wanted one more matched pair of these tubes and kept an eye out on eBay for a pair. Pairs kept showing up but they had the "T" plates or were not NOS. Then, late last week several NOS matched pairs and matched quads showed up on eBay. Most of them were the "T" plate style. But 1 matched pair and 1 matched quad were exactly the tubes I was looking for. I tried to buy the matched pair by making the seller an offer via a message. He said that once auctions started he never stopped them. So I had to watch these tubes for 5 days.

Fortunately, the bidding was slow on these tubes. But, the matched pair was getting more interest than the matched quad. I let eBay auto bid for me. But I usually wait until last 15 seconds or so to enter my max bid amount. I was willing to pay more per tube for the matched pair tubes so I entered that max bid and, just in case I lost that bid, I figured I would put in a lower dollar bid on the quad. Well, I needed every cent of my max bid on the matched pair, but I won the pair. Well, my low bid of the quad didn't get close to being needed. I won that auction easily. Oops.....I bought 6 tubes when I wanted two. At least I really really like them!! I better because I now have 5 matched pairs!!

Jun 30, 2017 at 7:37 PM Post #778 of 3,234
My Schiit Freya is on the fritz:

My Schiit Freya has been acting funny. Some people at the last Seattle Bottlehead HQ meet said it might be a bad ground but not sure. I've sent off an email to Schiit yesterday about it and another e-mail directly to their support/tech e-mail from previous issues with other Schiit stuff and nothing yet.

Jul 1, 2017 at 2:02 PM Post #780 of 3,234
My Schiit Freya is on the fritz:

My Schiit Freya has been acting funny. Some people at the last Seattle Bottlehead HQ meet said it might be a bad ground but not sure. I've sent off an email to Schiit yesterday about it and another e-mail directly to their support/tech e-mail from previous issues with other Schiit stuff and nothing yet.

I'd call......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back