RWAK100 - iriver AK100 mod by RWA
May 5, 2013 at 7:46 AM Post #16 of 51
Quote:
dos the mod player works with two 64GB micro SD cards?

and how can i get it?

Quite regularly AK-100 owners run 2x64GB. I use 2xSANDisks myself. In Japan one can buy them off Amazon Japan.

May 5, 2013 at 12:15 PM Post #17 of 51
So, it is claimed that the RWAK100 has the same sound characteristics as the AK100 but, everything is "better".  I'm a bit concerned that these characteristics are going to pair poorly with the Momentum, the Vsonic GR06 and the HD650, particularly in comparison to the DX100.  Has anyone here spent any time comparing the two players?  I don't want a "blah" player.

May 5, 2013 at 12:41 PM Post #18 of 51
Quote:
So, it is claimed that the RWAK100 has the same sound characteristics as the AK100 but, everything is "better".  I'm a bit concerned that these characteristics are going to pair poorly with the Momentum, the Vsonic GR06 and the HD650, particularly in comparison to the DX100.  Has anyone here spent any time comparing the two players?  I don't want a "blah" player.

Hi Whitebread,

The frequency response is much improved, as is the power output (especially for lower impedance headphones - under 100 ohms) by the removal of the 22 ohm resistors on the output stage.

At the last NY Headfi Meet, I heard the Senn Momentums with the RWAK100 and can confirm that they sounded excellent together.
I own the HD650s (and LC2 and 3s) and they also work very well with the RWAK100.  None of these headphones sound "blah" with the
RWAK100.  Never heard the GR06s...  

And I'm not here to make comparo's to the DX100 - but I can tell you straight up that after the RWAK100 mod, the AK100 is much better sounding throughout the whole frequency spectrum.  Ask David Chesky of Chesky Recordings / HDtracks.com, and Srajan Ebaen of 6moons.

This thread has many RWAK100 owners, but it is long and there is a lot of posts to read through (almost 5,000!):

http://www.head-fi.org/t/630288/the-new-iriver-ak100-a-high-end-dap

All the best,

Vinnie

May 5, 2013 at 12:48 PM Post #19 of 51
Just curious would it be even better with a decent amp like pico slim? I am currently having a ak100 and pico slim and se535. Just wondering would it be better than the current setting?

May 5, 2013 at 12:51 PM Post #20 of 51
Quote:

Hi Whitebread,

The frequency response is much improved, as is the power output (especially for lower impedance headphones - under 100 ohms) by the removal of the 22 ohm resistors on the output stage.

At the last NY Headfi Meet, I heard the Senn Momentums with the RWAK100 and can confirm that they sounded excellent together.
I own the HD650s (and LC2 and 3s) and they also work very well with the RWAK100.  None of these headphones sound "blah" with the
RWAK100.  Never heard the GR06s...  

And I'm not here to make comparo's to the DX100 - but I can tell you straight up that after the RWAK100 mod, the AK100 is much better sounding throughout the whole frequency spectrum.  Ask David Chesky of Chesky Recordings / HDtracks.com, and Srajan Ebaen of 6moons.

This thread has many RWAK100 owners, but it is long and there is a lot of posts to read through (almost 5,000!):

http://www.head-fi.org/t/630288/the-new-iriver-ak100-a-high-end-dap

All the best,

Vinnie

Thank you for the reply.  Indeed, I expected the sound to improve with the lower output impedance.  However, the AK100 has been said to have a cold, sterile, blase sound signature.  Even with the better frequency response, I'm concerned that the RWAK100 would maintain that same sort of sound.  

I found that thread a few days ago and, I'm still combing the 313+ pages for RWAK100 vs AK100 vs DX100 reviews.  

Those two names from those websites will prove helpful.  I'll definitely send them an e-mail.

Your words seem encouragement enough to buy a used RWAK100 and give it a try, myself.

Thanks.

May 5, 2013 at 12:53 PM Post #21 of 51
Quote:
Just curious would it be even better with a decent amp like pico slim? I am currently having a ak100 and pico slim and se535. Just wondering would it be better than the current setting?

Reviews say yes.

May 6, 2013 at 11:02 AM Post #22 of 51
Quote:

Thank you for the reply.  Indeed, I expected the sound to improve with the lower output impedance.  However, the AK100 has been said to have a cold, sterile, blase sound signature.  Even with the better frequency response, I'm concerned that the RWAK100 would maintain that same sort of sound.  

A lot of people say this (with the stock AK100) because the high output impedance negatively effects the frequency response.  For example,

AK100 + Shure SE425 (22 ohms):

LL.png

Bypassing this via the RWAK100 mod results in a much flatter response as it should be, and the sound is NOT cold, sterile, or blase.

It mod sound better with ALL headphones (but is most important with headphones who's impedance is under 100 ohms, which is many of them!).

I hope this helps,

Vinnie

May 28, 2013 at 5:27 PM Post #25 of 51
Hi Vinnie,

What is the recommended amp(s) for RWAK that you gives the best synergy?

For the stock AK100 i heard that ALO International is a great match, but would it be the same for RWAK100?

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back