Ripping Apart An ATH-2: a continuant saga
Nov 4, 2010 at 4:09 PM Post #31 of 41
I'm used to soldering onto the shiny metal tabs on the SFI style drivers, which have never been a problem, and which are much shorter, so I'm not entirely sure what to suggest.

You say you're not so good at soldering. I'd rate myself Not Bad (but if you saw the grizzly work i did on a car stereo wiring harness recently you might disagree).

You are right to worry about overheating the tabs, but it's not difficult to solder something like this without overheating it. Understand that i say that as someone who has destroyed AKG drivers by overheating their solder posts. I got better at it. Thankfully, they were mediocre AKG drivers.

The truth is, I think this driver is less voulnerable than most dynamic drivers in that regard. On a dynamic driver, you often face a metal tab that has a faint wisp of impossibly thin voicecoil wire looped once around it and tacked down with solder.

On the driver style we see in the ATH-1, ATH-2, Realistic Pro 30, and various others that resemble an SFI tweeter, that tab is actually part of a metal ring that rests against the outer radius of the driver membrane. You are unlikely to overheat the ring enough to damage the driver. Unless you really work at it.

I've never used cardas solder, but if i remember correctly, I believe i've heard people complain about how hard it is to get a good joint with it. If this is the case, i suggest that you practice your soldering technique first.

What i would probably prefer for myself in that situation is a eutetic solder with a full helping of lead. But i know that not everybody agrees with me.

General advice for soldering to any headphone driver:

Mask any exposed driver faces with at least some paper tape, preferrably with a piece of card stock. I know these drivers have fabric front and back, but you don't want to damage that fabric either. Take extra care to assure that the area directly around the tab you are soldering to is completely masked.

USE FLUX. Even if you have rosin-core solder. Use a good flux. A mildly-activated ("RMA") flux if possible. I like Kester 186, which i purchase in a flux pen - which is basically a felt tip pen that lays down a thin layer of flux. Apply flux to both peices you are soldering. It is common and usual for the flux to spit a bit when heated - this is one reason to mask drivers carefully.

I usually tin both pieces, allow both to cool, and then solder them together (allowing the existing solder to reflow). Some people hold a belief that reflowing is bad - in that case, use a clamp of some sort to hold it together. I recommend hemostats - aka mosquito foreceps. A surgical tool used to clamp blood vessels. Think of them as narrow needle-nose pliers which lock together, and which are made of spring steel so that you can lock them onto things as large as to-92 transistors. You can get them at any medical supply store or any establishment that caters to fishermen who tie their own lures. Also ebay - where they are CHEAP. Hospitals go through them by the hundreds, and eventually their teeth start to corrode - at which point, they give them one more run through the autoclave and either throw them away or sell them onto the surplus market -- at which point, they are no more corroded than any other pair of pliers you own. Just not fit for any more surgery.

The final point - this is more about soldering in general:

HEAT IS NOT THE ENEMY. Time is the enemy. You want a soldering iron that is hot enough to melt the solder and heat the metal to a temperature where the molten solder can wet it, and this takes longer with a cooler soldering iron, and that time allows heat to radiate around and burn things up. I use a 700f conical tip iron for 99% of my soldering work. I use an 800f wedge tip for large connectors and desoldering. I occasionally use a 600f tapered tip for SMT work. ROHS or otherwise lead-free or exotic solders may require MORE heat than regular old tin/lead eutetic. 

Use a hot enough iron - get in, get it done, get out before you destroy anything.

Nov 4, 2010 at 4:45 PM Post #32 of 41
Wow, that's a VERY helpful reply. Thank you so much for taking your time in putting this straight! I'm not a clumsy person in general, in fact quite the opposite as I have been working a lot with architectural models which require a large amount of precision. I just think I need more experience with soldering, as I have previously only made a few interconnects and a k518 recable(which you probably can find somewhere on this site).

I have also thought a lot about reflowing which as you say, require you to heat both pieces up. I have, even when not meaning to, been doing this as I have had a hard time getting the wire+tabs to sit tight together after removing the soldering iron. This is of course due to my lack of a proper clamp holding the pieces together as I solder stuff. I got myself a "helping hand" tool, which I thought would be useful as it frees up my hands allowing me to just hold onto the iron and the wire I'm attaching, while having the soldering target secured. Using a hemostat might work better, so thanks for the advice. Time to stop by the fishing apparel store.

Also masking is something I have never thought of before, probably because I have been trusting rosin core solder to do the job. Now that you mention it, it does makes sense. I'm gonna try to get a hold of some good flux when doing my future solderings.

I hope we are not derailing the thread by discussing soldering techniques, I for one really appreciate your help, and I think this information is very, very useful to anyone contemplating to get into extensive DIY.

Possibly more on topic; I'm very glad to hear that the driver design will permit soldering without worrying too much about heat. This also means that I can probably modify the connector tabs as I see fit, to get a good layout for the wiring inside the cup.

Again, thanks a lot for your advice, I will carry them with me for the remainder of my days.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 4, 2010 at 11:00 PM Post #33 of 41
I forgot to address the other part.

These small ortho drivers have relatively thick magnets which have 9 holes per side.

So, yes, there is the cavity resonance concern - but it also seems, well, just cruel to take something that has deep perforations in it and stick it behind some more deep perforations. Especially with the amount of the open area of the face of the driver that is now blocked by hard plastic.

There have already been some ATH-2 owners who experimented with cutting out the perforated area, and reported good results.

Nov 5, 2010 at 12:52 AM Post #34 of 41
Ericj's advice on soldering is solid, and of course he's correct about the tabs being a long way from anything fragile, so flux up those joints and solder away.

If the treble is prominent and the bass has gone away even though your earpads are back on nice and tight, you may indeed have pushed the damping too far. On these headphones, it doesn't take much.

Interesting about the driver's solder lugs/tabs. They should be neatly folded over the back of the driver, and you might be right about the driver being different. 

Nov 5, 2010 at 1:06 AM Post #35 of 41
Don't apply TOO much flux - it shouldn't be dripping off - but a good quality flux makes life so much easier, especially when soldering metal that has been around for 30 years.

Mar 13, 2012 at 2:21 PM Post #36 of 41
It always displeases me to raise the dead, but had to do it.

Just wanted to thank wualta about this topic and mods he suggested. Tho I couldn't get the right sound from the cans with the mods (Guess I overdid the damping everytime I tried, too much treble...)

Then I tried putting a middle sized cotton ball on the center of the cap (leaving the donut foam in it's place) and then putting the yellowish foam on top of the cotton ball and then reassambled it.

It sounded like night and day to me! 

Ok, now the thread can go back to its sleep.

May 9, 2017 at 4:52 PM Post #37 of 41
I found a NOS of these headphones and following the mod above arrived at a much improved and well balanced Ortho
Thanks wualta!
Its not often Im happy with a headphone but these are exactly what I had hoped they could be and now are
So grateful for this site! :)

Jun 4, 2017 at 2:33 PM Post #38 of 41
Hi, I'm about to buy an Audio Technica ATH-2, I'm going to try it, query: Is an amplifier needed to take advantage of its sound?, Now, I could put more images of the improvement I mentioned. Thank you.

Hola, estoy por comprar un Audio Technica ATH-2, voy a probarlo, consulta: Es Necesario un amplificador para aprovechar su sonido ?, Ahora, podría poner mas imágenes de la mejora que ha mencionado. Gracias.

Jan 7, 2021 at 4:56 PM Post #41 of 41
Another necro-bump although with no new information to provide.

Found these a few years ago and I liked the sound they offered over dynamics I had experience with MDR-7506 and SRH-840 respectively.

Anyway, the original AT cable seems to be pooched and I figured this would be a place to ask about replacement cable. I don't need anything fancy, just what options are available. I have plenty of experience soldering but wanted some advice how to approach dis-assembly and removal of the old wires along with recommendations for new ones. Any help is appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back