RHA DAC/AMP L1
Sep 11, 2016 at 6:49 PM Post #61 of 99
The original poster can readily change the title.

Glad to read about some movement on this!

I sent a pm to the OP asking for him to change the thread name to L1.

Sep 12, 2016 at 8:21 PM Post #63 of 99
Name changed folks. Interested in the IEMs though too.

Thanks for the update. :D

I wonder about the +- range on the tone controls and whether they're stepped or not. Also, digital domain or analog? A bit more info on the amp section, too ... which opamps are used?

Dec 18, 2016 at 7:32 PM Post #66 of 99
warrior1975: Check this out, bro...

Sorry - should have had this to you last week.

Starting with the L1 DAC/amp

Frequency response for the DAC section only - and the gain settings:

The roll-off is the normal you see with a lot of higher end DACs with filters.  X7 is similar.

Next is the amp section only - and you can see the flat line response is very linear (central line):

These are all the bass settings - from negative to positive.  Interesting with the bass is that the boost is higher than the equivalent treble 

Here is the treble options

Now the great thing about the L1 is that with these combined, you can get some pretty interesting combinations:

This is min bass/min treble vs max bass and max treble.  So by playing with this and adjusting volume accordingly you can either bump the mid-range or recess it.  Pretty neat if you have a headphone that needs a little more or a little less in each area.

And if you're the type looking for max xwing between treble and bass, that's catered to as well.

All in all I really like the L1 so far - very versatile.

Sadly the balanced connection isn't working on the sample - so I couldn't test that.  not sure if its the cable of the L1 - but its dead (single-ended works fine).

Moving on to the earphones - and this will enlighten some, surprise others, and I guess be an interesting topic for discussion.

Disclaimer:
[COLOR=3B3B3B]The graphs below are generated using the Vibro Veritas coupler and ARTA software. Ken Ball (ALO/Campfire) graciously provided me with measurement data which I have used to recalibrate my Veritas so that it mimics an IEC 711 measurement standard (Ken uses two separate BK ear simulators, we measured the same set of IEMs, and I built my calibration curve from shared data). I do not claim that this data is 100% accurate, but it is very consistent, and is as close as I can get to the IEC 711 standard on my budget.[/COLOR]

First the CL750

Actually sounds pretty good. Typical V shaped sound - but not really overdone too much.  Some big bumps in upper mid-range and lower treble - but I don't mind it too much.  Sort of a Trinity type sound.  Would have been nice to start with this sig and had filter options to adjust the tonality a bit.  Channel matching is really good too. More when I finish the write-up.

And now the CL1

As others have stated - it is very V shaped (a little surprising for a flagship), and has quite a bit of warmth.  But the issue is the lower treble.  I'm not sure what the peak is supposed to be (there is a little channel balance as shown [I measured a dozen times and it isn't my rig]) - but its at 7-9 kHz on this pair.  The issue is that its 25 dB above the mid-range - and yes, its really got a lot of heat. I actually think they're on the right track with this - they've just overdone it (for my tastes anyway - and I don't mind a brighter signature).  EQ the bass back a bit and lower treble back a lot - and they sound really good.  Again more later.

Finally - the CL750 vs CL1

Dec 27, 2016 at 2:54 PM Post #71 of 99
Totally forgot and it arrived today. I'll report back later when I have more time to listen.

now we need more than few words bro when you give impressions :)

I thought you would write volumes about the wm1z :) it seems you like to be short and concise in your feedbacks :) , but as is the reality of all world warriors they like it to be just to the point in few words :), I am sure if more women would be into this hobby they would write volumes just about the looks of a gear so let alone sound signatures

Dec 27, 2016 at 3:45 PM Post #72 of 99
Lol. Sorry, I've been so busy with work. Business is booming but has been eating into my free time unfortunately. Guess I can't have my cake and eat it too. Want to make the money, have to do the work.

Dec 27, 2016 at 3:52 PM Post #73 of 99
Lol. Sorry, I've been so busy with work. Business is booming but has been eating into my free time unfortunately. Guess I can't have my cake and eat it too. Want to make the money, have to do the work.

bro you are in the cult now, so you are breaking your allegiance and the seal of the brotherhood by focusing on work :)

just kiddin, of course i am happy for you that your business is booming 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back