[Review] Future Sonics MG6PRO Ear Monitors: Dynamic Driver Custom-Fit In-Ear Monitors
May 1, 2015 at 8:40 PM Post #1,127 of 1,181
I have an appt. tomorrow with Kathy at H.E.A.R. to take impressions for the MG6pro. I narrowed it down to Future Sonics and 1964 Ears, went with FS because I like the concept of a single dynamic driver with no crossover instead of multiple BAs. It reminds me of single source speakers like the Lowthers I used to own. I will post a review after I have spent some time with them.

May 12, 2015 at 3:42 AM Post #1,129 of 1,181

eek.gif

@Kunlun any insights?

Edit: Hmm if you visit the Future Sonics website, you'll notice a new link in place of the old Atrio link titled Spectrum Series G10. So probably not a new Ear Monitors but a new universal.

Aug 26, 2016 at 1:11 AM Post #1,133 of 1,181
I don't doubt at all that this is a fantastic sounding truly world-class IEM. However, I take issue with a couple of the points made in the review, and I hope the OP can either address my concerns and perhaps clarify where possible, or else take it as constructive criticism.

1) Good god, custom IEMs are NOT pretty to look at! They're like plastic hardened snot off a handkerchief. It's amazing something that looks so hideous can produce sound so beautifully. (Maybe I'll feel differently about one molded to my own ear shape--getting my first mold this week--but looking at other people's ear cavity shapes is like looking at other people's anal cavity shapes. Nightmare fuel)

2) I feel the introduction comes off as condescending and preachy, as if single dynamic driver designs are inherently superior to all the rest. I know that's not how the OP actually feels, but only because I kept reading.

OF course the head engineer or whoever "feels there are advantages to this design." Every engineer feels that way too, because there ARE advantages to it! There are also disadvantages. That's why there are different designs!

3) After talking about the different bass holes and how they boost the bass, the OP goes on to claim they are neutral "with no frequency boosted." Objectively speaking, these claims are mutually incompatible. They cannot both be true.

4) Actually I really liked this line in particular: "It has the speed for the death metal, every hoarse shout and growl was…you know, I really need to talk to the guy who recommended that…" Well done there!

All in all I hope I don't come off as too hostile, I have specific criticisms, but my negative feelings don't reach beyond those specific instances. I also appreciated the anecdote about emailing the CMA sound engineer, for example.

Mar 3, 2017 at 7:50 PM Post #1,134 of 1,181
From the FS Facebook:

Introducing our new hand-crafted custom MG6Pro-HX Ear Monitors® - professional personal monitors featuring our latest helixical system & our signature voice coil technologies for unrivaled excellence. Contact us for more information. SOUND.BETTER.™ (photo shows custom red with flake edition). 

Mar 9, 2017 at 12:47 PM Post #1,136 of 1,181
I've emailed them for more info. I was told on the FB page they'd be part of the FS upgrade program which means IIRC sending my MG6 Pros back to them and paying an upgrade fee v.s. having to pay the full RRP outright. I've had them since 2012 so hopefully that 5 year gap included plenty of R&D and some noticeable improvements.

Mar 9, 2017 at 8:53 PM Post #1,137 of 1,181
Ok FS replied me after I sent them an enquiry but I gave them another email asking for clarifications on some points. I'll share what I know are true for sure:

There will be two new models, the MG6 HX and MG6 FX. The main difference between them is the location of the vent. The vent of the HX is located at the tip of the custom that fit into your ear's triangular fossa/interior/exterior crus area, while the vent of the FX is located on the faceplate just like the MG6 Pro. So the HX will have better isolation than the FX.

The vents are now fixed instead of interchangeable.

The cost to upgrade to the MG6 HX/FX is now $300, instead of $250. 

Turnaround time is still only 8-10 days (insane imo).

Things that need clarifications: Any difference in sound between the HX and FX, any change in driver units between the MG6 Pro and MG 6 HX/FX and prices of the new models. 

Mar 10, 2017 at 1:24 PM Post #1,138 of 1,181
That's what I was told too and I also asked for some clarifications haha - in any case the HX would appear to be the better choice in this regard for someone like me
In addition, they have developed a $60 upgradable option called the SoftRing. This is some sort of addition to the entrance of the earpiece canals that provides a more secure fit and counters changes in fit over time if your ear canal loosens.

As it stands, it looks like if you bought an FS custom later than 2010 you're eligible for their upgrade program in which case it'd be $300 to upgrade from your current FS monitors to one of the new models, plus $60 for the SoftRings if desired + shipping. I seem to recall they keep your impressions on file so I'd assume I'd just have to send my current MG6 Pros back and not have to get new impressions done, but this is one of the things I asked about.

Mar 10, 2017 at 1:34 PM Post #1,139 of 1,181
Got a reply just now actually. The HX is the one to go for as far as the audiophile crowd is concerned - I'm guessing it's purely because the FX are meant more for the live musician who wants to still hear some of the crowd noise while wearing the monitors (the MG6 Pros are certainly pretty 'open' with the larger vents and the position of the vent in general). 

SoftRings don't appear necessary if you have a good fit with your current FS monitors. New impressions not necessary either - also good news.

They're currently in the process of updating the website so hopefully they'll be more info shortly.

Also I currently have blue/purple ear piece with smoke face plates. For $50 I can have the face plates changed which is something I'll consider just to change things up...

Via instagram btw, the HX - can see the port location. The FX will look just look like the MG6 Pros but without the different-sized rubber ports, so just a clean vent on the faceplate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back