Power amp recommendation
Apr 18, 2017 at 3:19 PM Post #31 of 67
  DAR_KO just wrote a nice comparison between KEF's LS50 and ELAC's Uni-Fi BS U5 Slim

http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2017/04/elacs-uni-fi-bs-u5-slim-is-a-righteous-contender/

Andrew can build a mean set of speakers. I do believe he was part of the design team at KEF when the LS50 were being designed.

I dumped my Debut B6s for a pair of LS50's, but I'm going to give due consideration the Andrew's newest Adante line. When it becomes available.

Onward and upward, as they say.
wink_face.gif

Apr 22, 2017 at 1:25 PM Post #32 of 67
I am slowly getting into the final stage of amp/loudspeaker decision. Today, I was auditioning a few bookshelf speakers at a local dealer. All speakers tested were fed by a Vincent SP-994 amp. I auditioned the following speakers: Piega Classic 3.0, Kef LS50, Kef R300, Tannoy Mercury 7.2, B&W CM6 S2, and B&W 683 S2.
We started first with the Piega and I thought it sounded nice, pleasantly, without any edges, but a little underwhelming. We switched to the Tannoy and boy, was I disappointed by the sound: rather dull, unengaging and lifeless. Then came the Kefs: LS50 to me sounded a bit too analytical, too detailed and a bit fatiguing. Nevertheless, I was surprised about the punch these little thingies put out! The Kef R300 to me sounded much better, smoother and not 'so much into the face'. And then came the B&W CM6 S2: I must admit I was blown away by the airy and engaging sound of the speakers: detailed, open, precise, but never as dominant as the LS50s. Just superb! We compared the CM6 S2 to the B&W 683 floor standers. They too, sounded extremely nice, just like the CM6 S2. However, they sounded a little bass-heavy. We listened to some guitar music and the bass was unfortunately overshadowing some of the mids. Imagining this speaker in my smallish rooms, I'm afraid they generate too much bass pressure. Out of curiosity, we switched the B&W 685 S2 into the signal path, but no way, these speakers were no competition to the CM6 S2!
So, for today's listening session, a clear winner emerged, the B&W CM6 S2: a superb speaker! Next Saturday, I'll be auditioning the ATC SCM 11. I'll keep you posted.
Sorry if no amp review, but I am torn between the Schiit Ragnarok, the Vidars, and the Rotel RMB-1582 Mk2!

Apr 22, 2017 at 7:59 PM Post #33 of 67
There are all kinds of nice choices out there.  Good luck.

I've had Parasound, Belles, Odyssey, and Krell.  Currently using Odyssey Stratos Monos and love them.  Very clear, detailed, not analytical sound.  Personal favorite are Belles.  They have a way to them that I just don't get that are very seductive.

If I wanted an integrated I'd go Devialet and send my kids to the orphanage :wink:  Otherwise a Belles or Odyssey would be my choice from what I've heard.  

Or, I'd go for a used Ayre with the arcane symbols on the selector switch instead of numbers or whatever.  That''d drive anyone crazy trying to use my stereo.

Apr 23, 2017 at 7:47 AM Post #34 of 67
  There are all kinds of nice choices out there.  Good luck.

I've had Parasound, Belles, Odyssey, and Krell.  Currently using Odyssey Stratos Monos and love them.  Very clear, detailed, not analytical sound.  Personal favorite are Belles.  They have a way to them that I just don't get that are very seductive.

If I wanted an integrated I'd go Devialet and send my kids to the orphanage :wink:  Otherwise a Belles or Odyssey would be my choice from what I've heard.  

Or, I'd go for a used Ayre with the arcane symbols on the selector switch instead of numbers or whatever.  That''d drive anyone crazy trying to use my stereo.

If you send your children to an orphanage, make sure they take some good music with them :))

Never heard anything from Belle, but what I could check on the internet looks really good.

So, what's your experience with Odyssey Audio? What's their lead time for production? Are they reliable? Getting amps from less well-known companies is always a bit of a risk, don't you think? Even with a return policy, sending equipment back is dreadful.

Apr 23, 2017 at 11:21 AM Post #35 of 67
Oh dear, what have I done?  With a Schiit Freya and Schiit Gungnir ( Gumby) on the way I was itching for a new power amp to complement my PrimaLuna, and to drive my KEF LS50s.

I just couldn't wait for the Schiit Vidar to be finished.

So, I have a Parasound A23 on the way. It looks like it has everything I'm looking for. Balanced inputs, a loop out, auto-turn on, with input sensing, level controls, 125WPC RMS into 8 ohms, class A/AB topology, and the ability to be bridged and used in monoblock configuration. 

Now, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it will sound great.
wink_face.gif

Apr 23, 2017 at 2:50 PM Post #36 of 67
  Oh dear, what have I done?  With a Schiit Freya and Schiit Gungnir ( Gumby) on the way I was itching for a new power amp to complement my PrimaLuna, and to drive my KEF LS50s.

I just couldn't wait for the Schiit Vidar to be finished.

So, I have a Parasound A23 on the way. It looks like it has everything I'm looking for. Balanced inputs, a loop out, auto-turn on, with input sensing, level controls, 125WPC RMS into 8 ohms, class A/AB topology, and the ability to be bridged and used in monoblock configuration. 

Now, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it will sound great.
wink_face.gif

Interesting to see how the Freya/Gungnir combo pairs with the PrimaLuna. My prediction is that they cooperate smoothly. Particularly, the Freya and PrimaLuna will smoothen out any edges of the Gumby DAC, should they exist. The Gumby has a very good DARKO review (http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/?s=Gungnir). So my guess is, this combo will play heavenly!

Also interested to see what you think of the Parasound A23! It was on my radar as well, so once you have the first listening impressions, I'd be glad if you could share them! Just like you, I am tired of waiting for the Vidars. I am THIS close to ordering a Ragnarok! The Odyssey Stratos power amp is still in the back of my mind, but I feel that the Ragnarok offers a bit more than just a power amp.

I am convinced your Parasound is a super amp!

Apr 23, 2017 at 3:54 PM Post #37 of 67

Interesting to see how the Freya/Gungnir combo pairs with the PrimaLuna. My prediction is that they cooperate smoothly. Particularly, the Freya and PrimaLuna will smoothen out any edges of the Gumby DAC, should they exist. The Gumby has a very good DARKO review (http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/?s=Gungnir). So my guess is, this combo will play heavenly!

Also interested to see what you think of the Parasound A23! It was on my radar as well, so once you have the first listening impressions, I'd be glad if you could share them! Just like you, I am tired of waiting for the Vidars. I am THIS close to ordering a Ragnarok! The Odyssey Stratos power amp is still in the back of my mind, but I feel that the Ragnarok offers a bit more than just a power amp.

I am convinced your Parasound is a super amp!

Right, the Rag just doesn't fit my requirements at the moment. The Freya's balanced outputs will be split off to the Parasound and Schiit Jotunheim headphone amp. and single ended to a pair of PrimaLunas. I'm going to try to find a pair of speakers to bi-amp. Perhaps, I'll see what I can work out with the owner at Tekton.

The Rag is still on my radar for a second, or third system, I have yet to work out the details of such a system.

I'm anxious to run the Parasound in class A. Driven by the Freya in JFET mode. That should be a sweet sounding pairing as well.

I'll report back about the A23.
wink_face.gif

Apr 23, 2017 at 9:36 PM Post #38 of 67
  So, what's your experience with Odyssey Audio? What's their lead time for production? Are they reliable? Getting amps from less well-known companies is always a bit of a risk, don't you think? Even with a return policy, sending equipment back is dreadful.

My Odyssey amps come with a story....

I trawl eBay all the time looking for deals.  I was saving up for a pair of Odyssey monos when eBay tells me there's a pair for sale starting at $600.  I put in the bid and waited.  And waited....  No one else bids.  Cha ching!

So I don't know what it's like to order direct but Klaus, the proprietor, is apparently a pleasure to deal with.  Another story...

I go to Capital Audiofest and Odyssey/Klaus is there.  I ask him what he can tell me about these amps.  He asks what I paid for them.  I tell him, he says, "I can't even buy the metalwork for that much," with a somewhat wry expression.  He says to open them up and take pictures of the inside and he can tell me exactly what model they are.  From the serial number he says they were made in 1999,2000.

So, he seems to stand by his amps, they are still working great after almost 20y.  The logo does not light up on one and the power switch is stuck on on the other.  But I just think they sound great.  No grain, smooth, powerful.  They drive my speakers well and my speakers can be a little difficult with a dip in impedance to below 3ohms.

Apr 23, 2017 at 9:38 PM Post #39 of 67
  So, I have a Parasound A23 on the way. 

It'll sound great!  I have an A52 and have no complaints about the sound whatsoever.  I wish it were lighter occasionally when I'm fiddling around in the rack but other than that...

Apr 23, 2017 at 9:41 PM Post #40 of 67
  It'll sound great!  I have an A52 and have no complaints about the sound whatsoever.  I wish it were lighter occasionally when I'm fiddling around in the rack but other than that...

L3000.gif
Based on everything I have read, I think I'm going to like it.

Apr 24, 2017 at 12:45 AM Post #41 of 67
Apr 24, 2017 at 2:21 PM Post #42 of 67
  My Odyssey amps come with a story....

I trawl eBay all the time looking for deals.  I was saving up for a pair of Odyssey monos when eBay tells me there's a pair for sale starting at $600.  I put in the bid and waited.  And waited....  No one else bids.  Cha ching!

So I don't know what it's like to order direct but Klaus, the proprietor, is apparently a pleasure to deal with.  Another story...

I go to Capital Audiofest and Odyssey/Klaus is there.  I ask him what he can tell me about these amps.  He asks what I paid for them.  I tell him, he says, "I can't even buy the metalwork for that much," with a somewhat wry expression.  He says to open them up and take pictures of the inside and he can tell me exactly what model they are.  From the serial number he says they were made in 1999,2000.

So, he seems to stand by his amps, they are still working great after almost 20y.  The logo does not light up on one and the power switch is stuck on on the other.  But I just think they sound great.  No grain, smooth, powerful.  They drive my speakers well and my speakers can be a little difficult with a dip in impedance to below 3ohms.

That's a very good reference for an amp sounding still good after almost twenty years!

I heard many times that Klaus Bunge is a likeable person. All the more enjoyable if the owner builds up a good relationship with his clients.

For the moment: not quite a draw between the Stratos and the Ragnarok. I am leaning closer to the latter. The reason being that the Ragnarok is a true balanced configuration, whereas I am not so sure if the Stratos is internally balanced. Many amp producers equip the input with balanced XLRs, but the amps aren't balanced in the true sense: two amps for the positive/negative half-wave. I am truly interested which of the amps mentioned here are truly balanced.

Apr 24, 2017 at 2:51 PM Post #44 of 67
I can't stand the lower or mid range b&w. The tweeter throws attention to itself so much. to me it sounds very unnatural like it's constantly spitting metal at you. Not like metal music but as far as timbre goes, there's nothing natural about it. Everything sounds like it's trying to escape from behind the dome and it's doesn't blend with the timbres created by the midrange so it's like you're listening to two speakers at once. Even the CM models do this but with less ringing.

fwiw, I have a pair of r300s for sale.

Apr 24, 2017 at 2:58 PM Post #45 of 67
I can't stand the lower or mid range b&w. The tweeter throws attention to itself so much. to me it sounds very unnatural like it's constantly spitting metal at you. Not like metal music but as far as timbre goes, there's nothing natural about it. Everything sounds like it's trying to escape from behind the dome and it's doesn't blend with the timbres created by the midrange so it's like you're listening to two speakers at once. Even the CM models do this but with less ringing.

fwiw, I have a pair of r300s for sale.

I'm starting to lose my high end hearing. The B & W line sounds like just what I'm looking for.
wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back