Portable DAP for Tidal
Aug 3, 2017 at 10:27 PM Post #64 of 136
I'm using my iPhone 7 Plus as a DAP and the Oppo HA-2 as DAC/Amp with excellent results. IOS has the Tidal app which will allow you to stream and download Tidal files to the phone for offline use all in CD quality.

Enjoy The Music!
Heard that the new ios software 10 prevents external dacs from working despite being approved by apple. Are you eperiencing this?

I certainly am with my e17k and iPad air 1st Gen on iOS 10.3

Aug 15, 2017 at 5:42 PM Post #65 of 136
any daps that play spotify? I know the AK players don't

Aug 23, 2017 at 1:14 AM Post #66 of 136
Heard that the new ios software 10 prevents external dacs from working despite being approved by apple. Are you eperiencing this?

I certainly am with my e17k and iPad air 1st Gen on iOS 10.3

I had no problems with my iPhone 7+ with IOS 10.3.3 and old HA-2 not working. In fact they both played nice together. My iPad Pro and PHA-3 works as well. I've since moved to the PHA-3 and iPod 6th Gen Touch. No issues there either.

Aug 23, 2017 at 10:08 AM Post #67 of 136
I had no problems with my iPhone 7+ with IOS 10.3.3 and old HA-2 not working. In fact they both played nice together. My iPad Pro and PHA-3 works as well. I've since moved to the PHA-3 and iPod 6th Gen Touch. No issues there either.
Are you using the official apple camera connection kit or 3rd party? This could be the issue as I'm using a cheaper third party cable.

Aug 23, 2017 at 10:35 AM Post #68 of 136
Are you using the official apple camera connection kit or 3rd party? This could be the issue as I'm using a cheaper third party cable.

When I had the HA-2 > iPhone it was a straight connection using the standard lightning to USB cable. No special connector was required to connect the HA-2 and this was across all my IOS devices. It's possible your FIIO may not be certified for IOS.

Aug 23, 2017 at 12:46 PM Post #69 of 136
any daps that play spotify? I know the AK players don't

Most of the Android-based players should have access to the Spotify app. (The Onkyo and Pioneer do for sure.)

Aug 23, 2017 at 1:04 PM Post #70 of 136
Has anyone else tried the Sennheiser CapTune app for use on a phone or DAP?
It incorporates your Tidal account and offers EQ (which the Tidal app lacks). Just downloaded onto the Pioneer XDP300R and am testing it now. No conclusions yet.

Aug 24, 2017 at 10:29 AM Post #72 of 136
Most of the Android-based players should have access to the Spotify app. (The Onkyo and Pioneer do for sure.)
fiio x5iii working with tidal - even in offline mode and music stored on microSD (confirmed, I purchased one). I'd have to imagine Spotify is similar, but haven't tested it directly.

@JerseyD I've played around with CapTune on my android tablet and smartphone, but not on a true DAP. I like the layout and functionality for tidal, but can't really speak to its SQ (not sure if SRC is happening or if signal chain is otherwise compromised by poor DSP as integrated with the app's EQ). USB Audio Player Pro is the audiophile's choice for streaming tidal with EQ. You can even buy the tonebooster's parametric EQ plugin (in addition to the standard 10 band), which allows for extreme fine tuning. It's a low cost solution and well worth the few bucks it costs if you can get it to run on your DAP. Unfortunately, it doesn't work with x5iii.

Aug 24, 2017 at 2:14 PM Post #73 of 136
@JerseyD I've played around with CapTune on my android tablet and smartphone, but not on a true DAP. I like the layout and functionality for tidal, but can't really speak to its SQ (not sure if SRC is happening or if signal chain is otherwise compromised by poor DSP as integrated with the app's EQ). USB Audio Player Pro is the audiophile's choice for streaming tidal with EQ. You can even buy the tonebooster's parametric EQ plugin (in addition to the standard 10 band), which allows for extreme fine tuning. It's a low cost solution and well worth the few bucks it costs if you can get it to run on your DAP. Unfortunately, it doesn't work with x5iii.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the tip. Will try USB Audio Player Pro as well. So far, I am not liking the UI of the CapTone app.

Sep 6, 2017 at 12:57 PM Post #74 of 136
Hey, I'm new headfi and to audio gear. Lifetime music lover and I've always loved headphones and iems, but just recently started investing in quality portable gear to finally start getting more my iems.

My question is this. I have Tidal and Spotify both installed on my Sony zx2 and fiio x5iii. Spotify works perfectly fine, but unfortunately Tidal "skips". It basically makes a noise similar to vinyl crackle and the tracks stutter. Does this whether online or offline. Anyone have any idea of how to remedy this issue?

Sep 6, 2017 at 1:36 PM Post #75 of 136
I have the same issue using Tidal app on the Pioneer XDP-300R and have not heard about a "fix." Hoping someone else here has one...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back