Oriolus Hybrid IEM
Mar 29, 2017 at 3:20 AM Post #753 of 1,871
Chinese version of Oriolus MK2 with stock cable is now available from AliExpress for $748 (normally $850). It'll be this price for the next 2 days.

Mar 29, 2017 at 10:45 PM Post #754 of 1,871

Just got the new Spinfit CP240 (S), and tried them on my Oriolus. I have to say, the fit is superb. I can move around, even chew without losing the seal. It comes however, with a reduction in the quantity of bass. And a lift and forwardness in midrange and a bit of treble

Mar 30, 2017 at 10:41 AM Post #756 of 1,871
  Any news on the Mellianus?

She's still married to Trump, AFAIK      
darthsmile.gif

Mar 31, 2017 at 1:09 PM Post #757 of 1,871
  alright, i don't know where to put this. but i got information on the new oriolus dp100 dap from canjam sg.

it costs 700-800 sgd. sold by project perfection singapore. http://www.pp-distribution.com/. shippable internationally.

user interface looks outdated. cayin-like. but sound quality is very good. smooth, rounding overall tonalities. certainly better than my aune m2. also better than opus #1. some may like it better than opus #2, but opus #2 is more detailed, as dp100 is warmer. 3.5, and 2.5 mm on top, as well as volume wheel.

is it sound that good ? it's going to cost more in Thailand, I hope Jaben Thailand can sell this dap at the same price as somewhere else.

Mar 31, 2017 at 4:16 PM Post #758 of 1,871
  is it sound that good ? it's going to cost more in Thailand, I hope Jaben Thailand can sell this dap at the same price as somewhere else.

Maybe you could pre-order them from PP, if you're goin to SG. Or you could ask them to send to BKK, or Jaben Thailand when pre-ordering, because they collaborate with Jaben in bringing many of their products. Sound quality as I compare during CanJam, is pretty good. Not as good as Opus #2 or AK240. But it is at least as good as the Korean Opus #1 if not better, if I'm not mistaken. I can compare with my Aune M2 however, and the soundstage is bigger due to better instrument separation and layering. Also warmer, due to slight larger bass.

Apr 2, 2017 at 4:41 AM Post #760 of 1,871

Comin' soon :)

Has been "comin' soon" for over a month now, iirc :D
Either this is the real product name for the Mellianus or maybe it's their new lower-end model.

Apr 2, 2017 at 12:28 PM Post #761 of 1,871
Has been "comin' soon" for over a month now, iirc :D

Either this is the real product name for the Mellianus or maybe it's their new lower-end model.

AFAIK NT-1 is a portable amplifier (that uses the Korg NuTube = NT).

Apr 2, 2017 at 2:11 PM Post #762 of 1,871
AFAIK NT-1 is a portable amplifier (that uses the Korg NuTube = NT).

Oh right, the amp (which sounds absolutely fantastic btw) and the DAC are still not out either.
Oriolus has so much in store for us this year.

Apr 2, 2017 at 10:00 PM Post #763 of 1,871
Oh right, the amp (which sounds absolutely fantastic btw) and the DAC are still not out either.

Oriolus has so much in store for us this year.

Oh you've actually heard it? I guess you were referring to the headphones in the picture, which I didn't even notice behind the NT-1 text :confused_face:

Apr 19, 2017 at 2:16 AM Post #765 of 1,871
Cable comparison: Stock (from Chinese version) vs PW No.5
Source: QP1R
Album: Eagles - Hell Freezes Over (yeah... that album)

The usual preamble about whether cables make a difference.

Ergonomics:
No.5 wins by a huge margin. Soft, supple, no memory wire (pre-bent heatshrink used instead). The stock has a mind of its own, and untangles even when rolled up. not good for photography lol.

Not pictured: stock cable :p

Sound impressions:
Compared to stock, the No.5 cable adds a bit of note richness and fullness to the music. Notes are rounded off gently, with a tiny bit more lingering decay. For me this is more noticeable in bass and treble. For mids and vocals, the bit of grain in the stock cable is lost. This makes the mids and vocals sweeter, smoother, more engaging and enchanting. This complements the already sweet-ish tuning of the Oriolus mk2 very well. Imaging, I hear slightly better distinction in the centre, especially in terms of height. L/R and depth imaging is more or less the same.

Now where the stock cable excels, is the airiness to the sound it brings. With a relatively shorter decay, note separation and blackness is more readily apparent. So you get a better sense of spaciousness with stock. Please do note that the above differences affect like 5-10% of the overall sound. The Oriolus is already masterfully tuned.

Conclusion:
For day-to-day use, the ergonomics and comfort level of the No.5 alone put it ahead of stock. Sound-wise, I believe both have their place. The richness/immersiveness of No.5 versus the airiness of stock. Is it worth the extra dosh? Being a soundstage/air nut, initially I said no. But over time the No.5 has won me over as well, more so the aesthetics. It just looks very classy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back