"Open Alpha" T50 3D printed headphone project from MrSpeakers
May 24, 2017 at 1:31 AM Post #436 of 979
Speaking of waveguides have you seen the waveguides that ZGLISZCZ designed? I have been making my way through the massive T50RP incremental mods and measurements thread and I am just astounded at the work that people have contributed there.

I have seen them and its a really impressive amount of work. I will definitely be using those guides in my tests. I am thinking something like Pi3 or 9 on the back and 5 on the ear side.

I have been reading the T50RP thread too and had something like the Rastapants 2 mod before Open Alpha were published... Impressive work indeed - overwhelming amount to get through....

May 24, 2017 at 5:32 PM Post #438 of 979
Glue them back together, then coat them with acetone to strengthen them. (assuming your cups are printed with ABS) You can use acetone to glue them back together. It's a solvent for abs. Just brush a little on each side that you want to glue, wait a few seconds for the abs to start to soften and then stick them together. Brushing it on the outside basically fuses the layers together and makes the outer shell much stronger.

May 24, 2017 at 6:08 PM Post #439 of 979
My cups are actually printed in Z-HIPS. I'll try super gluing them back on, but I ended up losing one of them. Would silicone sealant be enough to keep them together?
Maybe I should just find longer screws

Last edited:
May 26, 2017 at 4:46 AM Post #441 of 979
May 26, 2017 at 8:56 AM Post #442 of 979
@Balazar Those look amazing mate, good job. Also I've been using a different version of those waveguides in the first pair of open Alphas i made. They really make a difference, noticeably less treble ringing and makes everything sound a bit cleaner. Highly recommend them.

https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/f...nd-measurements.618659/page-149#post-13014042

Those waveguides interest me a lot. Know where to get the SPLs for those? I messaged SeEnCreative to see if they'd share.

May 30, 2017 at 3:43 PM Post #445 of 979
IMG_20170530_115625.jpg
IMG_20170530_152535.jpg
printed a couple of these at .1 layer height
they look pretty good, mounted a set using some foam tape on the edges
the holes line up with the holes in the driver, sound seems a bit more open
seems like a slight increase in separation and soundstage, kinda hard to tell needs more listening
one side rattles a bit in bass heavy parts, need a better mounting method

Jun 1, 2017 at 12:58 AM Post #446 of 979
Those waveguides interest me a lot. Know where to get the SPLs for those? I messaged SeEnCreative to see if they'd share.

There was definitely a download for the @SeEnCreaTive waveguides somewhere. Not sure if he removed them or if I just can't find them due to the lack of a proper search anymore. The model had some flipped polygon issues which i had to repair. I may try to contact him and ask if it is okay to post the revised file here when i get some time. BlueMonkeyFlyer has a whole section in the measurements threads devoted to them. I think it is in section 31.

Jun 10, 2017 at 12:07 AM Post #447 of 979
There was definitely a download for the @SeEnCreaTive waveguides somewhere. Not sure if he removed them or if I just can't find them due to the lack of a proper search anymore. The model had some flipped polygon issues which i had to repair. I may try to contact him and ask if it is okay to post the revised file here when i get some time. BlueMonkeyFlyer has a whole section in the measurements threads devoted to them. I think it is in section 31.

Please let me know if you're able to share them!

Jul 9, 2017 at 4:16 AM Post #448 of 979
Looks like a lot of people have made updates since I made my set.

My 2.5 sockets no longer hold the cable properly, so I am going to redo the build, with new colors and probably use balazar's cups that can have the bass tuned.

Just got to find a color that I like from the store...

I am going to use my old cups, and pads with an old set of t20s that I have... the ones with the circular driver... If I can make a good enough baffle file, I will post it here.

Jul 23, 2017 at 7:32 PM Post #449 of 979
Looks like a lot of people have made updates since I made my set.

My 2.5 sockets no longer hold the cable properly, so I am going to redo the build, with new colors and probably use balazar's cups that can have the bass tuned.

Just got to find a color that I like from the store...

I am going to use my old cups, and pads with an old set of t20s that I have... the ones with the circular driver... If I can make a good enough baffle file, I will post it here.

Please do! I have a pair of custom woodies made by @fleasbaby which use the T20v2 drivers. They're definitely more of my favorite sound than the Fostex squares are.

Aug 26, 2017 at 7:42 PM Post #450 of 979
I finally found the time to put everything together. I've got them set up with the alpha pads and I'm just working on tuning the cups now. So far I've only put wool in the cups with the mk3 drivers and they sound very dark. The detail, bass, and isolation of the cans is great, but they are even darker than my HD650.
Any advice to make these cans brighter?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back