Objectivists board room
Jul 21, 2017 at 12:30 PM Post #3,812 of 4,545
Come off the ledge if your father were alive he'd be very, very, very upset. Your shirt's all dirty, there's a man here from the B.B.C.

Oh wait... that song sucked.

Jul 21, 2017 at 1:50 PM Post #3,813 of 4,545
I kinda like it. Not my favorite by a long shot, but I like how the ending completely changes the mood.

Jul 21, 2017 at 3:28 PM Post #3,814 of 4,545
Did Genesis ever do one of those fake Victorian style songs all the prog groups used to pad out their albums with? You know the ones with the guy singing through a megaphone ala When I'm 64.

Jul 22, 2017 at 4:26 PM Post #3,815 of 4,545
I see you bums are having a good time as usual.:smile_phones: I've been busy listening to my new HE-400i and am liking it very much, It's been a pleasant distraction whilst head-fi gets its website sorted out. I am partial to planars. I just looked at the HD600 thread, wow, they are really getting out of subjective control. Some of them think you must use an amp with a high impedance output with a high impedance headphone. Dynamic cans like to be driven by amp that has a much lower output impedance for better damping, especially Sennheisers that have wild impedance curves which benefit from a lower impedance amp for additional FR reasons. If it can drive them, you're good to go, unless you've been bitten by the audiophile bug. The discussion about matching amps to headphones is unnerving. At least some of them aren't into cable mania.

Jul 22, 2017 at 5:07 PM Post #3,816 of 4,545
The whole concept of component matching puzzles me. Why would anyone want a pair of headphones that doesn't work with everything you want to plug it into? There's plenty of great sounding stuff out there that does sound great and works well with others. I imagine if you could save money by buying something incompatible and matching it with stuff it works with, it might be worth the hassle. But people don't seem to be making the mix n' match choices to save money. I almost wonder if they think by spending a lot of money and accommodating a lot of inconvenience that they somehow feel better about themselves. People work very hard on things that don't matter I guess.

I agree planars are great. I'm very happy with my Oppo PM-1s, and they don't need to be amped at all. I don't use them much though because my speaker rig is so much better sounding than headphones.

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2017 at 7:13 PM Post #3,817 of 4,545
I think it's a natural extension of the idea that there's a noticeable difference in backend gear in general, and it's likely influenced by numerous factors, preconceived notions, and price, of course. Put lemon lime soda in a yellow can and people think it tastes more lemony; put the same soda in a green can and they'll think it tastes more limey. Put it in a can halfway down the middle in color but add fifty cents to the price and print the words "Natural Flavors" in big letters, and people will sing the praises of how balanced it is and how superior the flavor is.

Of course, once we've accepted that there's a difference where there is none, we start building off of that. Looking to make sparkling limeade? Go for the green can soda. Want something to go with your slice of lemon cake? Go for the yellow can. Want to impress your friends? Contemplate where you must have gone wrong in life that you're attempting to impress your friends with soda, then pick up the expensive option. Got a ton of Green Can on sale? Buy lots of avocados and green beans, and stay away from yellow bell peppers and mustard.

And that know it all geek friend of yours who read the label and discovered they're all made by the same company and bottled in the same plant, so they're probably all the same thing? What a nutter! He keeps going on about having somebody bring out unlabeled cups of each one and seeing if you can tell the difference. Ain't nobody got time for that! You've gotta head on down to the local Sears because it's having a store closing sale and you need a new refrigerator to house all the different flavors of lemon lime and club soda you've been buying lately...

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2017 at 7:34 PM Post #3,818 of 4,545
Well that takes drinking with your ears to a new level, I know one can eat with their eyes.

Jul 22, 2017 at 8:21 PM Post #3,819 of 4,545
The whole concept of component matching puzzles me. Why would anyone want a pair of headphones that doesn't work with everything you want to plug it into? There's plenty of great sounding stuff out there that does sound great and works well with others. I imagine if you could save money by buying something incompatible and matching it with stuff it works with, it might be worth the hassle. But people don't seem to be making the mix n' match choices to save money. I almost wonder if they think by spending a lot of money and accommodating a lot of inconvenience that they somehow feel better about themselves. People work very hard on things that don't matter I guess.

I agree planars are great. I'm very happy with my Oppo PM-1s, and they don't need to be amped at all. I don't use them much though because my speaker rig is so much better sounding than headphones.
I used to have HE-560's and HE-500's, ditched the 560' and kept the 500's and got the 400i's. I'll always say, if the cans aren't to your liking, no amp is going to change that picture. And some folks think a DAC is going to do some magic, what fiction. From what I can see, some folks do all of this so they have something to flap about on the forums and feel important, especially when using esoteric audiophile terms to describe their science fiction experience. I don't mind it except that they steer neophytes down the wallet eating rabbit hole because.......

Jul 22, 2017 at 8:24 PM Post #3,820 of 4,545
I think it's a natural extension of the idea that there's a noticeable difference in backend gear in general, and it's likely influenced by numerous factors, preconceived notions, and price, of course. Put lemon lime soda in a yellow can and people think it tastes more lemony; put the same soda in a green can and they'll think it tastes more limey. Put it in a can halfway down the middle in color but add fifty cents to the price and print the words "Natural Flavors" in big letters, and people will sing the praises of how balanced it is and how superior the flavor is.

Of course, once we've accepted that there's a difference where there is none, we start building off of that. Looking to make sparkling limeade? Go for the green can soda. Want something to go with your slice of lemon cake? Go for the yellow can. Want to impress your friends? Contemplate where you must have gone wrong in life that you're attempting to impress your friends with soda, then pick up the expensive option. Got a ton of Green Can on sale? Buy lots of avocados and green beans, and stay away from yellow bell peppers and mustard.

And that know it all geek friend of yours who read the label and discovered they're all made by the same company and bottled in the same plant, so they're probably all the same thing? What a nutter! He keeps going on about having somebody bring out unlabeled cups of each one and seeing if you can tell the difference. Ain't nobody got time for that! You've gotta head on down to the local Sears because it's having a store closing sale and you need a new refrigerator to house all the different flavors of lemon lime and club soda you've been buying lately...
I bought some Klipsch IEM's once and they were definitely lemons, strident enough to be sour.

Jul 22, 2017 at 8:30 PM Post #3,822 of 4,545
I used to have HE-560's and HE-500's, ditched the 560' and kept the 500's and got the 400i's. I'll always say, if the cans aren't to your liking, no amp is going to change that picture. And some folks think a DAC is going to do some magic, what fiction. From what I can see, some folks do all of this so they have something to flap about on the forums and feel important, especially when using esoteric audiophile terms to describe their science fiction experience. I don't mind it except that they steer neophytes down the wallet eating rabbit hole because.......

any time you want to hop into my hole and dig, fine by me. My arms are sore and I'm sure I'm close to the other side.

Jul 22, 2017 at 8:38 PM Post #3,823 of 4,545
any time you want to hop into my hole and dig, fine by me. My arms are sore and I'm sure I'm close to the other side.
That put you in China? You can pick up a pair of Hifimans at the factory for a steal.

Jul 31, 2017 at 5:57 PM Post #3,824 of 4,545
I just glanced at my stats and I realized that I've busted the 15,000 posts mark, the vast majority of them here in the Sound Science forum. It's been nearly 14 years too. Time flies when you're having fun. I'm buying a round for the house!

Jul 31, 2017 at 6:08 PM Post #3,825 of 4,545
I just glanced at my stats and I realized that I've busted the 15,000 posts mark, the vast majority of them here in the Sound Science forum. It's been nearly 14 years too. Time flies when you're having fun. I'm buying a round for the house!
Whatever you're getting us, make sure it's euphonic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back