New- Zishan Z1 DSD player thread
Jul 27, 2017 at 3:53 PM Post #1,157 of 1,364
Have anyone tried to use Z1 with android box? I'm trying to use with my HIMEDIA Q5PRO. The DAC seems to be connected because the blue led flashes, but no sound get out from the Z1 output. The player is HiBymusic. Thanks to any help.

Jul 27, 2017 at 6:40 PM Post #1,158 of 1,364
Have anyone tried to use Z1 with android box? I'm trying to use with my HIMEDIA Q5PRO. The DAC seems to be connected because the blue led flashes, but no sound get out from the Z1 output. The player is HiBymusic. Thanks to any help.

Had not tried your config, however I had tried to play some youtube video on my phone (Sony Xperia XA 1st edition) by using Z1 as DAC (otg micro to micro usb cable is used for connecting them together).............. there were "pop" sound every second interval and I found that to be very annoying............... However when I connected Z1 to my mac and played back the same youtube video again, there was no "pop" sound but just a few millisecond delay.

Jul 28, 2017 at 2:56 AM Post #1,159 of 1,364
I tried my S5 with the Z1 right now, and if I max out the Benji, my ears start to complain if I twist the knob on the Z1 more than 25% with a pair of 300ohm earbuds. So I'd say it's not normal.
Have you connected the interconnect from the Benji's headphone out to the Z1's LO and use your Headphones from the PO on the Z1?
It should sound great, so keep trying.
You were right - I tried different earphones and the problem disappeared. Apparently KZ ZS5 don't sound too loud in this setup, but VJJB K4 are a different story! Even the VE Monk Plus have more juice. Thanks!

Jul 28, 2017 at 3:51 AM Post #1,160 of 1,364
You were right - I tried different earphones and the problem disappeared. Apparently KZ ZS5 don't sound too loud in this setup, but VJJB K4 are a different story! Even the VE Monk Plus have more juice. Thanks!

One can do a little bit math. If the output impedance of Z1 is 100 ohm and the op voltage is 10 volt:
a) when you connect a 300ohm earbud, the voltage on the earbud is 10*300/(100+300) = 7.5 volt.
b) for KZ ZS5 with 8ohm, the voltage on it is 10*8/(100+8) = 0.74 volt.

Jul 28, 2017 at 4:46 AM Post #1,161 of 1,364
One can do a little bit math. If the output impedance of Z1 is 100 ohm and the op voltage is 10 volt:
a) when you connect a 300ohm earbud, the voltage on the earbud is 10*300/(100+300) = 7.5 volt.
Would be so flexible if they had made a switch for for example either 10 or 100 ohms:smile_phones: Instead of the lock that does'nt cover the most important, volume, anyway. I am aware the output capacitors would have to be larger for lower ohms, so they maybe omitted this to make it cheaper

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2017 at 3:53 PM Post #1,162 of 1,364
Had not tried your config, however I had tried to play some youtube video on my phone (Sony Xperia XA 1st edition) by using Z1 as DAC (otg micro to micro usb cable is used for connecting them together).............. there were "pop" sound every second interval and I found that to be very annoying............... However when I connected Z1 to my mac and played back the same youtube video again, there was no "pop" sound but just a few millisecond delay.
Thanks for reply. I think that dac function is not so usable. I bought 2 of this just to use in hifi home setup with android box but waste my money.

Jul 28, 2017 at 5:18 PM Post #1,163 of 1,364
@Viganet

Z1 works like a external DAC:

Power Off Z1
Connect USB data cable to Z1 and Windows10, I could use the Z1 supplied USB cable.
Power On Z1
Windows 10 auto-detects Z1: "Speaker Zishan Z1 hifi Player".

Only supported mode is: 16bits 48Khz
In win10 you can use foobar, select Z1 16 bits output and a DSP resampler to 48Khz.

It should work the same way with other OS, if they also have drivers, I'll try Android next.
EDIT:
With android smartphone you need to connect the Z1 USB cable to android OTG cable.
The evaluation copy of neutron music player works well for some seconds in my Nexus 5, then it says trial expired :)

EDIT:
I won't be using the USB DAC because it's fixed to 16bits 48Khz.
I'm using Z1 as a DAP and the sound quality is very good for the price.
The sound quality issues I had (when I received it) completely disappeared.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2017 at 7:20 PM Post #1,164 of 1,364

So what is the highest impedance earphone outside of earbuds? Is it the Hifiman re00 which is hard to get?

Jul 28, 2017 at 7:57 PM Post #1,165 of 1,364
Thanks for reply. I think that dac function is not so usable. I bought 2 of this just to use in hifi home setup with android box but waste my money.

Take it east, I just bought it for fun as I have others DAP that works better than it...................... however I like the concept of ZIshan and Walnut because it lets you listening to music without having the taught of wanting to listen to a specific track, this will make you spend more time on others track which is a very weird sensation a first but I somehow had gotten used to it and found it to be more relaxing...............

Jul 29, 2017 at 11:35 AM Post #1,167 of 1,364
@Viganet

In win10 you can use foobar, select Z1 16 bits output and a DSP resampler to 48Khz.

It should work the same way with other OS, if they also have drivers, I'll try Android next.
EDIT:
With android smartphone you need to connect the Z1 USB cable to android OTG cable.
The evaluation copy of neutron music player works well for some seconds in my Nexus 5, then it says trial expired :)

EDIT:
I won't be using the USB DAC because it's fixed to 16bits 48Khz.
I'm using Z1 as a DAP and the sound quality is very good for the price.
The sound quality issues I had (when I received it) completely disappeared.
@Viganet

Now i have the confirm that is total useless to me......
The vendor have had to advise that the super specs declared was not valid through usb connection. I bought (two!!) only for dac function.

Jul 29, 2017 at 3:24 PM Post #1,170 of 1,364
Not sure if this will be any help but I tried my z1 with my friend's android box (marshmallow) and it works fine. Using es explorer media player. Haven't tried any dedicated music apps.

Also in my case with windows 10 64bit. All foobar Playback works as long as codec is available. Only wasapi wont work unless they're 48k. Works fine in directsound. Above 48k get resample by foobar

Users who are viewing this thread

Back