SONY NW-A30 SERIES
Apr 16, 2017 at 10:51 AM Post #1,474 of 2,453
  In my experience even cheap MP3 players sound considerably better than phones, and no phone sounds even half decent.

The only exceptions I've ever known were the old Sony Walkman branded phones.

​And to make things worse, listening to music on a phone will drain its battery faster. For me this was a daily or even half-day charge to continue with music listening (FLAC, XBA-Z5)

Apr 16, 2017 at 10:04 PM Post #1,475 of 2,453
it depends on the devices and what we drive with it. there is no reason why a cellphone couldn't have the same components a DAP has, and battery wise, the cellphone will often have the same or a better power supply because it's needed for the screen and other things. so it comes down mostly to the ability to protect the audio circuit from the cellphone waves and some do that very well indeed(but then all one has to do is to use plane mod if that's the real concern while listening to music and leave the screen off).
historically cellphones have poor amp section, but historically sony DAPs have poor amp section, so maybe ease up on the caricatures? it's absolutely not a given that a DAP will have better audio than a cellphone. 
several year old iphones measure real close to a sony DAP under most uses with most IEMs, so there is no reason why some fancy modern cellphones with fancy audio section couldn't do just as well if not better than this DAP. 

https://headphoniaks.com/smartphone-iphone-6s-htc-10-meizu-pro5/ a few cellphones measured
the sony A15 because they didn't measure the A30 https://headphoniaks.com/sony-walkman-a15/ 
if anybody has measurements for the A30 into a few loads please post them.

personal preferences are what they are, but objective fidelity is measured with objective tools.

now for the playback time and battery, I fully agree with @gerelmx1986 and that's in part why I use sony DAPs with long battery life.

Apr 17, 2017 at 1:28 PM Post #1,476 of 2,453
This is interesting, the A35 and A37 are now available for pre-order from Sony's online vendor in Canada gentec.  No date is given on when the orders will ship of course.  This is a drastic shift by Sony as the A20 series was not available in Canada until December 2016.

I can only assume that if Sony is taking pre-orders the A35/37's should ship by some time in May I would think.  Then again this is Sony so you could pre-order now and receive it in December as a Christmas present from Sony.
biggrin.gif
 April thru June are generally the months we see new consumer electronics products rolled out in North America.  I'll still wait until it is available locally in stores so I can demo it before I make a decision.  At least now maybe I won't have to wait until it is freezing cold before I can get my hands on one.

The only two things making me cautious about the A35 is the really long startup time and the lack of AptX.  

Has the startup time improved at all with the firmware updates?  Right now I think I am deciding between the Sony A35 and the Cayin N3.

Apr 17, 2017 at 2:11 PM Post #1,477 of 2,453
This is interesting, the A35 and A37 are now available for pre-order from Sony's online vendor in Canada gentec.  No date is given on when the orders will ship of course.  This is a drastic shift by Sony as the A20 series was not available in Canada until December 2016.

I can only assume that if Sony is taking pre-orders the A35/37's should ship by some time in May I would think.  Then again this is Sony so you could pre-order now and receive it in December as a Christmas present from Sony.:D  April thru June are generally the months we see new consumer electronics products rolled out in North America.  I'll still wait until it is available locally in stores so I can demo it before I make a decision.  At least now maybe I won't have to wait until it is freezing cold before I can get my hands on one.

The only two things making me cautious about the A35 is the really long startup time and the lack of AptX.  

Has the startup time improved at all with the firmware updates?  Right now I think I am deciding between the Sony A35 and the Cayin N3.

The start-up,time of the A35 from 'Off' is a serious PIA. I've just received mine, and I thought the start-up time would be the same as my NWZ-A17. No way. The start-up of the A17 is almost instantaneous. In comparison, the A35 takes ages.
And yes, no Apt-X on the A35 either. I actually think the A17 is the better machine, especially for wireless use with BT headphones.

Apr 17, 2017 at 5:25 PM Post #1,478 of 2,453

Why would you turn it off? I have not turned mine off in a month and it seems to be fine. I run with BT, LDAC, NFC on and the battery last forever. I just charge it once a week or when I have new music to transfer over. 

Apr 18, 2017 at 11:20 AM Post #1,480 of 2,453
Hello,

i have the Sony NW-A35. Is it possible to let bluetooth connect automatically to my Sony MDR-1000x after turning the A35 on?
Every time i have to go to menu settings and select the MDR-1000x.

Thank you!

Apr 18, 2017 at 9:53 PM Post #1,482 of 2,453

Why would you turn it off? I have not turned mine off in a month and it seems to be fine. I run with BT, LDAC, NFC on and the battery last forever. I just charge it once a week or when I have new music to transfer over. 

When you are use to turning your DAP off like I do with my A17 it is strange just leaving it on. Plus by turning it off after each use I get 10 to 12 days between charges.  I am guessing the A35 has better battery life management than the A17.  Turning my A17 off every time after 2.5 years it would take me awhile to break the habit with the A35.

So what kind of boot time are we talking here?  Are we talking turn it on and then go for a coffee or can you brew a whole pot. 
biggrin.gif

Apr 18, 2017 at 11:08 PM Post #1,483 of 2,453

When you are use to turning your DAP off like I do with my A17 it is strange just leaving it on. Plus by turning it off after each use I get 10 to 12 days between charges.  I am guessing the A35 has better battery life management than the A17.  Turning my A17 off every time after 2.5 years it would take me awhile to break the habit with the A35.

So what kind of boot time are we talking here?  Are we talking turn it on and then go for a coffee or can you brew a whole pot. 
biggrin.gif

​My WM1A takes like 30 to 40 sec boot up, and then makes the database which is like another 30 seconds (with 19000+ tracks)

Apr 19, 2017 at 2:56 AM Post #1,484 of 2,453

​My WM1A takes like 30 to 40 sec boot up, and then makes the database which is like another 30 seconds (with 19000+ tracks)

I'd say that's about right for my A35 too, with the internal memory almost full and a 128gb card filled with 100gb of music.

My guess is that this is due to the micro SD card.  If the player is fully turned off then when re-started it doesn't know if the SD card has been changed so it re-builds the whole database.

I turn mine off if I think I'm not going to use it for a few days, otherwise I leave it on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back