New HTC 10--Audio Impressions
Mar 20, 2017 at 1:52 PM Post #286 of 476
  OK great, so we'll wait for an answer. There's one thing I don't understand in the article you linked:
HTC 10 has a 24-bit Hi-Res DAC so why they claim that it can't play Hi-Fi audio? Is it because it's limited to one music player (but Google Play Music can play flac files)?

Just got word back from HTC on this issue (see below). APPARENTLY, they've found nothing, and until I hear back, I'm going to assume that article/forum that said the HTC DAC isn't utilized on non-streaming apps is wrong. 

Hi ............! I hope this email finds you well. As promised, I am writing here to let you know the results of my investigation. All my findings point to the fact that HTC uses all its capacity for all the apps in the HTC 10, with the possibility of change only if the applications' developer change the format and features the phone offers. This definitely means, that according to what I found, the forum is not correct. Nevertheless, Corporate is investigating more about this and will run some tests. You will receive a notification only if they find something opposite to my results; otherwise, no notification will be provided. Thank you for leading us to look on this. It has been exciting to run this research and help you with your inquiry. I hope you have a wonderful week.

UPDATE: 

And now just got this response to my follow up on confirmation that it was the audio codec she was referring to: 

Dear ......................,

Hi ...........! You're more than welcome! 

The codecs that the HTC come with can be used for all the apps in the same way. But, the app developer is the one who choses how to distribute the hardware options the phone has. The difference I found in sound, was always explained by the format that the file had and never by the usage of the codecs. So if it's about distribution, any app developer can use the codec(s) he/she rather to have the sound played. 

Please let me know if you have any other question for me to help you with :)

What do you guys think after reading both?

If you Majestic, akg, SteveOliver, etc have something you want me to say or ask as another follow-up, lemme know. I will respond to her on Wednesday so get back to me by late Tuesday if u can. 

May 12, 2017 at 6:46 AM Post #287 of 476
Hello everyone, I apologize to you for being bad english first. I am a htc m10 user looking for a headset that can be recommended by the best masters. My budget is $ 100, the style I listen to: classic, alternative rock, ballads, blues, country and sometimes rap. I would like to recommend HTC 10 A compatible headphones with wide range of scenes and beautiful instrument

Last edited:
May 12, 2017 at 11:57 AM Post #288 of 476
Hello everyone, I apologize to you for being bad english first. I am a htc m10 user looking for a headset that can be recommended by the best masters. My budget is $ 100, the style I listen to: classic, alternative rock, ballads, blues, country and sometimes rap. I would like to recommend HTC 10 A compatible headphones with wide range of scenes and beautiful instrument

Hi Coachiso,

There's really only ONE headphone that I can think of at that price (you'll have to go SLIGHTLY higher, but not by much).......the AKG K550 (or K550 MK II....... same thing, same sound quality). I also own the HTC 10 and the sound quality AND amp on it will be more than enough to properly power the K550.

What country are you in? Once you tell me, I can find you a seller on eBay that will sell the K550 to your country. Again, you'll have to go A LITTLE over $100, but trust me, it WILL be worth it! I've compared the K550 to headphones that cost $300-$400, and the K550 sounded BETTER than them. No joke!

Let me know. For now, these 2 sellers may very well ship to your country, so check the list on each and let me know. If not, then I'll try to help you find it elsewhere.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Akg-K550MKI...sh=item2383d93d37:g:srMAAOSwhvFZCqwv#shpCntId

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AKG-K550-MK...831388?hash=item43fb69ea9c:g:n0EAAOSwJ7RYXbU1

May 12, 2017 at 3:33 PM Post #290 of 476
I will try akg headphones. I live in turkey, there are akg mediamarkt elektromarketlerinde turkey. If it is in your hands i will try

Great!

Turkey? Ok. I see that BOTH sellers ship to the Turk Islands, so you should be ok.

Enjoy and let us know what you think! Try the Poweramp android music app too for BEST results! That's what I've been using for years now. Love it!

May 12, 2017 at 6:57 PM Post #292 of 476
I bought the NeutronMusicPlayer I am better than PowerAmp? Turkish acg 550 mk2 around 400 $, how much fiye come to me if ı want to buy from abroad

Neutron is very good too. I like Poweramp more though. You should try it. If you don't get into it, just stick with Neutron then.

$400?!!! FORGET the Turkish seller! LOL The eBay sellers I sent you are only charging like $125! Even with shipping, there's no way the price would get anywhere near $400.

Just buy from my first link and be done with it man. Let us know what you do and think of K550 MK II!

May 22, 2017 at 9:15 AM Post #294 of 476
After one year debating with myself I just couldn't bear my HTC One M8 top speaker distortion (cause otherwise I still love the M8 to be honest) and finally ordered the HTC 10. :)
I hope I don't regret it...

One question regarding the included headphones: are they any good or should I just keep using my Xiaomi Piston 3?

Cheers

May 22, 2017 at 12:14 PM Post #295 of 476
After one year debating with myself I just couldn't bear my HTC One M8 top speaker distortion (cause otherwise I still love the M8 to be honest) and finally ordered the HTC 10. :)
I hope I don't regret it...

One question regarding the included headphones: are they any good or should I just keep using my Xiaomi Piston 3?

Cheers

Nice!!!!!!!!! I seriously doubt you will Bad. After the 3 major camera updates, the 10's camera went from very good to great. The sound quality is SUPERB. The amp for headphones is LOUD (1.009 volts max output). I absolutely LOVE my phone!

One thing to consider...........I dunno why HTC doesn't have this, but most other phones by like Sony, Samsung, and LG have something called "Smart Screen" (or similar name) where the front side camera sensor keeps an eye on you to make sure you are looking at the screen and possibly reading an article. If it sees that, it will keep screen on so you don't have to touch it. HTC doesn't have this, but I found an app called Wakey and worked with the dev to create a new feature on it called "FaceWake" which does EXACTLY that! I've been using it and after some trial and error IMO he's perfected it in terms of battery life and quality. Works great (unless room is dark). I have NO affiliation with the dev (never met him) and no financial stake in its development. I'm just a fan and it made owning my 10 even MORE of a joy! So check it out, if interested. (And make sure to enable FaceWake! AppWake is good for if you just want the screen to stay on indefinitely when certain apps are being used.)

May 26, 2017 at 4:00 AM Post #296 of 476
Do you have the boom sound, dolby audio and audio profile setting on? I prefer them all off...
I also got the HTC Hi-res Headphones but I find that the Xiaomi Piston 3.0 have a better sound, am I wrong?
This are my initial thoughts about it:

Negatives :
- sound quality regarding the external speakers suck. My m8 was much much better (when the top speaker was not distorting, of course).
- The headphone jack positioning is worse, on the bottom made much more sense.
- It's not that much faster/smoother than my m8,
- I don't find that sound quality through headphones is much better than the M8, to be honest, just a little louder
- I like the more rounded design and smoother feel of my gunmetal grey m8 better
- Vibration when pressing keys felt better on the M8

Positives
- The screen is better, more vibrant, even is it still sucks when under sunlight (too dim)
- Faster when opening Chrome tabs and installing apps
- Camera is better, even if I don't value that much and was quite happy with the one I had on the M8

Has you can see there are more negatives than positives and if I was sure that someone could fix my top speaker distortion problem I would go back in a second and returned this to Amazon.

Cheers

Last edited:
May 26, 2017 at 12:28 PM Post #297 of 476
Do you have the boom sound, dolby audio and audio profile setting on? I prefer them all off...
I also got the HTC Hi-res Headphones but I find that the Xiaomi Piston 3.0 have a better sound, am I wrong?
This are my initial thoughts about it:

Negatives :
- sound quality regarding the external speakers suck. My m8 was much much better (when the top speaker was not distorting, of course).
- The headphone jack positioning is worse, on the bottom made much more sense.
- It's not that much faster/smoother than my m8,
- I don't find that sound quality through headphones is much better than the M8, to be honest, just a little louder
- I like the more rounded design and smoother feel of my gunmetal grey m8 better
- Vibration when pressing keys felt better on the M8

Positives
- The screen is better, more vibrant, even is it still sucks when under sunlight (too dim)
- Faster when opening Chrome tabs and installing apps
- Camera is better, even if I don't value that much and was quite happy with the one I had on the M8

Has you can see there are more negatives than positives and if I was sure that someone could fix my top speaker distortion problem I would go back in a second and returned this to Amazon.

Cheers

BoomSound yes, but only for the personal audio profile. Dolby thing, I leave it OFF. I think it sounds better with personal audio profile on, but that's me. At the minimum you get a nice volume bump.

Oh I don't use earphones lol. I'm done with earphones. I think headphones sound better. IF you're looking, get the AKG K551 which is what I have, or K550 MK II. Listen using Poweramp and THIS custom EQ for the K551 (which is like 99% identical to K550 and K550 MK II........they ALL sound the same, per AKG). I've compared them to headphones that cost 2-4 times their cost, and they always outdo them all. If interested, respond back and I'll find you some good deals.

Yeah I think pretty much EVERYONE prefers the Classic BoomSound speaker set up vs the newer Hi-Fi BoomSound setup. HTC knows this, yet they chose to repeat Hi-Fi BoomSound on the U 11, which I wasn't too thrilled about but whatever. I hope for the 12/U 12 they get their act together and return to Classic.

I dunno man. I compared it to my $299 Oppo HA-2 portable premium amp/DAC, and it MATCHED the sound quality, if not being better?? My Sony Xperia X Performance however DID NOT match it. Just sayin'. lol There was less hiss and more clarity with my 10 vs. my Sony. Headphone jack placement.........yeah I prefer at bottom too but not a deal breaker.

I'm happy they at least kept the backside the same as M8, but front side I even told HTC on the phone it's like they were trying to copy Samsung or Apple (well more Samsung cuz their home button is oval too lol). I said don't be them, BE HTC! U 12, don't let me down! lol

But overall I still love my 10. The Sony Xperia XZ Premium comes out next month, and I AM tempted to get it, but not enough to leave my 10 behind. Overall, I still think there are more +s with my 10 than with the XZ Premium.

One way they say to make it better under sunlight is to turn OFF the automatic brightness in Settings and then put it to Max. I think it makes a SMALL difference.

Yeah but it's nice to have a faster phone (820 is a GREAT chip vs. 810 lol) and also it's SO nice man to NOT hear ppl complaining about the camera anymore. Esp now that U 11 got like the highest rating ever. lol I was SO tired of hearing how SamDung's was so much better. F them! lol

lol.............give it time my friend. Maybe it will grow on you. Try comparing the sound quality to a good DAC/amp or even V20 and see what u think. I HONESTLY believe you'll hear more details and understand more what I'm saying (AND love your music more :L3000:) if you take my advice and get the K551 or K550 MK II. AKG changed my world forever. LOL That + Hi-Res tracks + Poweramp + 10's killer DAC/amp = audio heaven.

Last edited:
May 26, 2017 at 12:37 PM Post #298 of 476
BoomSound yes, but only for the personal audio profile. Dolby thing, I leave it OFF. I think it sounds better with personal audio profile on, but that's me. At the minimum you get a nice volume bump.

Oh I don't use earphones lol. I'm done with earphones. I think headphones sound better. IF you're looking, get the AKG K551 which is what I have, or K550 MK II. Listen using Poweramp and THIS custom EQ for the K551 (which is like 99% identical to K550 and K550 MK II........they ALL sound the same, per AKG). I've compared them to headphones that cost 2-4 times their cost, and they always outdo them all. If interested, respond back and I'll find you some good deals.

Yeah I think pretty much EVERYONE prefers the Classic BoomSound speaker set up vs the newer Hi-Fi BoomSound setup. HTC knows this, yet they chose to repeat Hi-Fi BoomSound on the U 11, which I wasn't too thrilled about but whatever. I hope for the 12/U 12 they get their act together and return to Classic.

I dunno man. I compared it to my $299 Oppo HA-2 portable premium amp/DAC, and it MATCHED the sound quality, if not being better?? My Sony Xperia X Performance however DID NOT match it. Just sayin'. lol There was less hiss and more clarity with my 10 vs. my Sony. Headphone jack placement.........yeah I prefer at bottom too but not a deal breaker.

I'm happy they at least kept the backside the same as M8, but front side I even told HTC on the phone it's like they were trying to copy Samsung or Apple (well more Samsung cuz their home button is oval too lol). I said don't be them, BE HTC! U 12, don't let me down! lol

But overall I still love my 10. The Sony Xperia XZ Premium comes out next month, and I AM tempted to get it, but not enough to leave my 10 behind. Overall, I still think there are more +s with my 10 than with the XZ Premium.

One way they say to make it better under sunlight is to turn OFF the automatic brightness in Settings and then put it to Max. I think it makes a SMALL difference.

Yeah but it's nice to have a faster phone (820 is a GREAT chip vs. 810 lol) and also it's SO nice man to NOT hear ppl complaining about the camera anymore. Esp now that U 11 got like the highest rating ever. lol I was SO tired of hearing how SamDung's was so much better. F them! lol

lol.............give it time my friend. Maybe it will grow on you. Try comparing the sound quality to a good DAC/amp or even V20 and see what u think. I HONESTLY believe you'll hear more details and understand more what I'm saying (AND love your music more :L3000:) if you take my advice and get the K551 or K550 MK II. AKG changed my world forever. LOL That + Hi-Res tracks + Poweramp + 10's killer DAC/amp = audio heaven.
Thanks for your answer. I normally use in ear headphones since I wear a suit and tie (work in a bank) and I would look ridiculous wearing over the ear headphones, in my opinion.
Are these the ones your talking about? http://www.mhr.pt/177443-auscultado...511-9002761029277.html?utm_source=kuantokusta

Are they that good? I thought they would be expensive...

Cheers

May 26, 2017 at 12:56 PM Post #299 of 476
Thanks for your answer. I normally use in ear headphones since I wear a suit and tie (work in a bank) and I would look ridiculous wearing over the ear headphones, in my opinion.
Are these the ones your talking about? http://www.mhr.pt/177443-auscultado...511-9002761029277.html?utm_source=kuantokusta

Are they that good? I thought they would be expensive...

Cheers

YW! Glad to help.

Oh I C. LOL

No. If you check back I added links to them. The K551 was given 5/5 stars by What Hi-Fi?, my personal fav audio reviewer. I consider them the Roger Ebert of audio reviewers. LOL It costs SLIGHTLY more (less than b4 though) than the K550, but I think the K550 looks slightly cooler. The K551 has a shorter cable though (4' vs. 10', though I'd just twisty-tie the 10' one) and an in-line remote as well.

Well you could always get them for home or travel use! lol

No man. I mean, unless u think $100-$200 is expensive? lol Are they that good?! Umm.............YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol I compared them to $300-$400 headphones like the Sony MDR-1A, the Oppo PM-3, Bowers & Wilkins P7, etc. They OUTDID THEM ALL! No booming bass (but always ENOUGH bass) and HUGGGEE wide soundstage. They make everything I have sound more epic. If you do 10 + Poweramp + them + Hi-Res tracks (or even CD-Quality), you'll never go back to earphones again. lol I even like them more than the closed-back Sennheisers.

I'm assuming since you linked me a UK site that you're in the UK (I'm in the U.S., even though What Hi-Fi? is UK too lol), so here is the K550 MK II on UK Amazon. Though you may find it cheaper on eBay, like here (reputable seller). AKG K551 here. UK Amazon and UK eBay doesn't have K551 (UK eBay does but only in white. black/silver is cooler lol).

Regarding earphones.................I don't know much about them, but back when I did some research on them, I found these Shure ones to be pretty well-rated. For earphones, I find that if you get the cheaper ones, the cable is fixed and tends to go bad quickly. Or the speaker goes bad fast. I had a $30 pair of V-Modas and had to buy them like 3 times cuz they kept going bad. But yeah, on cable, I would ONLY buy earphones where the cable was detachable, which IS the case here. You can buy them here or here. Though I WOULD make an exception for these AKG N20 ones (fixed cable), only b/c I trust AKG above ALL else. lol Buy here or here.

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2017 at 7:19 PM Post #300 of 476
YW! Glad to help.

Oh I C. LOL

No. If you check back I added links to them. The K551 was given 5/5 stars by What Hi-Fi?, my personal fav audio reviewer. I consider them the Roger Ebert of audio reviewers. LOL It costs SLIGHTLY more (less than b4 though) than the K550, but I think the K550 looks slightly cooler. The K551 has a shorter cable though (4' vs. 10', though I'd just twisty-tie the 10' one) and an in-line remote as well.

Well you could always get them for home or travel use! lol

No man. I mean, unless u think $100-$200 is expensive? lol Are they that good?! Umm.............YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol I compared them to $300-$400 headphones like the Sony MDR-1A, the Oppo PM-3, Bowers & Wilkins P7, etc. They OUTDID THEM ALL! No booming bass (but always ENOUGH bass) and HUGGGEE wide soundstage. They make everything I have sound more epic. If you do 10 + Poweramp + them + Hi-Res tracks (or even CD-Quality), you'll never go back to earphones again. lol I even like them more than the closed-back Sennheisers.

I'm assuming since you linked me a UK site that you're in the UK (I'm in the U.S., even though What Hi-Fi? is UK too lol), so here is the K550 MK II on UK Amazon. Though you may find it cheaper on eBay, like here (reputable seller). AKG K551 here. UK Amazon and UK eBay doesn't have K551 (UK eBay does but only in white. black/silver is cooler lol).

Regarding earphones.................I don't know much about them, but back when I did some research on them, I found these Shure ones to be pretty well-rated. For earphones, I find that if you get the cheaper ones, the cable is fixed and tends to go bad quickly. Or the speaker goes bad fast. I had a $30 pair of V-Modas and had to buy them like 3 times cuz they kept going bad. But yeah, on cable, I would ONLY buy earphones where the cable was detachable, which IS the case here. You can buy them here or here. Though I WOULD make an exception for these AKG N20 ones (fixed cable), only b/c I trust AKG above ALL else. lol Buy here or here.
I prefer audio technica ath m50x with my HTC 10. Awesome sound quality !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back