New Dragonfly Black and Red Discussion
Jul 10, 2017 at 12:26 AM Post #3,586 of 5,077
Popping back into this thread. While I use the Geek Out 2A most of the time, and it absolutely destroys the DF Black in all (sound) areas, I still use the DF Black for mobile purposes, because the Samsung S7 sounds like ass. I recently took the DF Black to the local pool hall (billiards) with my S7 and V-Moda M-100 and had a blast with it. (not using UAPP, I like to Scrobble) If anyone wants a detailed rundown of the sound comparisons, I can provide one. Maybe I already have in this thread, I don't know. I'm still kind of really wanting to hear a DF Red but I don't know anyone who owns one.

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2017 at 5:15 AM Post #3,587 of 5,077
Question to those who know various quality DAPs quite well...what sort of products would you compare the DF red to?

I ask as I'm currently using either a Mojo and iPod Touch 6 or dragonfly red and iPod 6 for my transportable music and was looking at possibly to a DAP.

might be selling mojo and module extender this weekend and keeping DF red and iPod... or buying a new DAP....it would require wifi as I stream alot as well as use Tidal offline.

Jul 11, 2017 at 9:17 AM Post #3,588 of 5,077
Question to those who know various quality DAPs quite well...what sort of products would you compare the DF red to?

I ask as I'm currently using either a Mojo and iPod Touch 6 or dragonfly red and iPod 6 for my transportable music and was looking at possibly to a DAP.

might be selling mojo and module extender this weekend and keeping DF red and iPod... or buying a new DAP....it would require wifi as I stream alot as well as use Tidal offline.
What is your reason for selling the mojo? Been using the red since last April, and I love it. Was wondering if the mojo was a worthy upgrade given the price difference. Here you are with both, looking to sell the mojo, so could you please share some of your experience with the two?

Jul 11, 2017 at 9:37 AM Post #3,589 of 5,077
What is your reason for selling the mojo? Been using the red since last April, and I love it. Was wondering if the mojo was a worthy upgrade given the price difference. Here you are with both, looking to sell the mojo, so could you please share some of your experience with the two?
I ended up gifting my MOJO. The MOJO's battery frustrated me during my typically long listening sessions (that seemingly instant red blinking light would royally piss me off to no end!) and the form factor wasn't working for me... way too clunky.

Jul 11, 2017 at 12:10 PM Post #3,590 of 5,077
I ended up gifting my MOJO. The MOJO's battery frustrated me during my typically long listening sessions (that seemingly instant red blinking light would royally piss me off to no end!) and the form factor wasn't working for me... way too clunky.
Thanks for helping to save me over $500. Those were my thoughts, but hard to talk to yourself out of things sometimes. I'll just wait on the Mytek Clef coming in Q4 with 384, DSS, and MQA decoder all in a mobile package with potentiometer. $299 listed price. Hoping for magic, as I would love to listen to MQA on the go. Still very satisfied with my DFR, minus lack of hardware volume control

Jul 11, 2017 at 12:34 PM Post #3,591 of 5,077

i listened to 'Tom Sawyer' repeatedly last night, going back and forth
between the mojo and df red....to me there is a difference.
is it night and day? No
.it's not like going from SD to HD tv (too bad ..that'd make things so much easier, lol)
but imo there was a better sense of dimension, separation and esp tighter bass slam on the mojo.
just sounded somewhat more enjoyable.
but as always, YMMV...

so i just might keep it after all....i'd only get us$550 or so for it and the module w a cck cable.
to truly ramp up the sq on a DAP i'd be having to probably fork out considerably more.

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2017 at 6:01 AM Post #3,592 of 5,077
Having both the Mojo and the DFR. Listening mostly to Tidal (HiFi) via SE846 iems and S7 Edge.

The Mojo sounds more revealing than the DFR

I use the DFR while mobile (phone in my trousers side pocket). At home I use the Mojo connected to the input of the Headstage Arrow 5TX small amp which provides great bass (see below).

Mojo and Arrow.png

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2017 at 6:09 AM Post #3,593 of 5,077

It really depends on your needs and your tastes. I owned the DFRed for 2 weeks, and I have a Mojo. I kept the mojo because I use it mainly for desktop use. Also, I preferred the Mojo's audible differences. The DFRed brings everything forward. Increased clarity, without harshness and brightness. However, the differences are there if you pay attention: The Mojo seems to have a better staging and imaging result, where the tones are layered, almost adding depth to the music, while the DFRed levels everything. I personally prefer the Mojo, though for practical reasons, the DFRed is a great product. There's no good or bad, just a matter of what you prefer.

Jul 12, 2017 at 12:21 PM Post #3,595 of 5,077
It really depends on your needs and your tastes. I owned the DFRed for 2 weeks, and I have a Mojo. I kept the mojo because I use it mainly for desktop use. Also, I preferred the Mojo's audible differences. The DFRed brings everything forward. Increased clarity, without harshness and brightness. However, the differences are there if you pay attention: The Mojo seems to have a better staging and imaging result, where the tones are layered, almost adding depth to the music, while the DFRed levels everything. I personally prefer the Mojo, though for practical reasons, the DFRed is a great product. There's no good or bad, just a matter of what you prefer.

exactly....better communicated than my 'adds dimension' post.
and that increased performance is to be expected: the mojo is 2-2.5 x more pricey afterall.

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2017 at 12:52 PM Post #3,596 of 5,077
DfRed inside!
The amp is 9601k ess! :frowning2:(((
B&O hifi plus better than dfred?
Amp and dac chips, newer doesn't always mean better. In all honesty, implementation is the biggest factor, not just the Chip itself. The chips ised in the DFR were selected for low power usage. The implementation was to get the best sound while absolutely minimizing battery drain, and in that aspect they succeeded. I personally have not listened to the B&O, however everywhere I read, did not rate it that highly. IMO the DFR is absolutely the better buy, and won't kill your device battery

Jul 12, 2017 at 1:18 PM Post #3,597 of 5,077
Amp and dac chips, newer doesn't always mean better. In all honesty, implementation is the biggest factor, not just the Chip itself. The chips ised in the DFR were selected for low power usage. The implementation was to get the best sound while absolutely minimizing battery drain, and in that aspect they succeeded. I personally have not listened to the B&O, however everywhere I read, did not rate it that highly. IMO the DFR is absolutely the better buy, and won't kill your device battery

Just to further this, often newer simply means that the manufacturer has found ways to cut production costs while still remaining within specification - sometimes only just within specification, and then producing some marketing BS about how everything is better.

Jul 12, 2017 at 2:51 PM Post #3,598 of 5,077
the tech brains behind the DF series, Gordon Rankin, quite an accomplished person with his own line of $$$ DACS
replied to me on this issue of the chips used etc:
he basically said to me in an email much earlier (and i shared it on this site many months ago) basically:
don't get caught up in the specs of what chip etc goes into a mix...you could have 10 different DAC designers
with the same goods at their disposal go into a room to work on a design
.. and in the end their DACS would likely all sound different...
it's often how they implement the said goods into their approach/design that makes the difference in the end.

i'm keeping both

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2017 at 3:27 PM Post #3,600 of 5,077
Has anyone compared the DFR to the Resonessence Labs Hugo? I am going to buy one of these next month but I've not heard either IRL.
Is the Hugo worth the almost 2x price difference over the DFR? I'm listening to Tidal Hi-Fi mostly on ATH-M50X headphones through a Bravo Ocean amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back