New Beyerdynamic T5p 2nd generation
Jun 6, 2017 at 3:20 PM Post #1,051 of 1,956
That would be great. unfortunately I don't have the budget :frowning2:

In that case you have a difficult decision to make, if its any help I really like the t5p v2 but I haven't heard the AEON. Ask the same question over in the AEON thread and you will probably get the opposite answer.

I do have a feeling and its only a hunch that the AEON will be a better all-rounder though.

Jun 9, 2017 at 8:11 AM Post #1,052 of 1,956
Agreed. The boosted midbass destroys the listening experience.

Tastes are different. I do not really like the analytical style of the 1st generations. I now own the 2nd generations of both the T1 as well as the T5p. IMHO they sound much more neutral with the new tuning and they are much less fatiguing. My other cans are Sony Z1R and Fostex TH-X00. Compared to these, even the 2nd Gen sounds "thin". I do not consider myself a basshead, especially when it comes to mid-bass. But the clean rumbling sub-bass of the Z1R is an absolute joy.

Those are my subjective thoughts. But you do see that there is a trend in the industry to a less analytical, more neutral "speaker-like" sound signature. Sony's new models, Sennheiser's updating the HD800 to the HD800s and Beyerdynamic as well.

Jun 9, 2017 at 8:32 PM Post #1,053 of 1,956
In that case you have a difficult decision to make, if its any help I really like the t5p v2 but I haven't heard the AEON. Ask the same question over in the AEON thread and you will probably get the opposite answer.

I do have a feeling and its only a hunch that the AEON will be a better all-rounder though.
Hmm i think the Aeon don't fight with the T5P 2nd, Flow c can fight, is the close flagship.
t5p 2nd is a excellent headphone

Jul 6, 2017 at 3:53 AM Post #1,054 of 1,956
Has someone experimented with other pads? Curious what the effects on sound are...

Jul 7, 2017 at 2:27 AM Post #1,055 of 1,956
Has someone experimented with other pads? Curious what the effects on sound are...
I've recently installed the T1 black velour pads on my new T5P gen 2 and I prefer the T1 pad sound to the stock T5P pleather pads. As for the major differences, the two most prominent are the tamping down of the bass, and what I believe to be the broadening of the soundstage.

Basically, I felt the T5P gen 2 bass was a bit off to my ears. Muddy would be the best term, though it wasn't bad, it was just stronger than the first gens. The T1 pads dial the bass down by a small amount, giving it a richer, more smooth feel to my ears. Perhaps because of this the velour T1 pads also seem to give the T5Ps a significantly greater amount of space. It doesn't isolate as well, but it also feels like they're not as closed in, and the there's a wider soundstage.

Anyways, I've had the T1 pads on my new T5Ps for a little less than a week now, and I don't see myself swapping back to the pleather pads any time soon. I liked the way the T5Ps sounded; I love the way they sound with T1 pads on them.

Jul 7, 2017 at 5:31 PM Post #1,056 of 1,956
I've recently installed the T1 black velour pads on my new T5P gen 2 and I prefer the T1 pad sound to the stock T5P pleather pads. As for the major differences, the two most prominent are the tamping down of the bass, and what I believe to be the broadening of the soundstage.

Basically, I felt the T5P gen 2 bass was a bit off to my ears. Muddy would be the best term, though it wasn't bad, it was just stronger than the first gens. The T1 pads dial the bass down by a small amount, giving it a richer, more smooth feel to my ears. Perhaps because of this the velour T1 pads also seem to give the T5Ps a significantly greater amount of space. It doesn't isolate as well, but it also feels like they're not as closed in, and the there's a wider soundstage.

Anyways, I've had the T1 pads on my new T5Ps for a little less than a week now, and I don't see myself swapping back to the pleather pads any time soon. I liked the way the T5Ps sounded; I love the way they sound with T1 pads on them.

Hi Gnawbert, thank you for your message.

I agree with you that the T5p has a problem in the bass region. For my taste, there is too much mid-bass (a bit boomy), but not enough sub bass, like I know from my Z1r.

I also swapped the pads from T1.2 to my T5p.2 and vice versa. I hoped the T1 pads would work, also because I love their comfort, whereas the T5p pleather pads ar ok, but not great.

Unlike you, unfortunately I did not like the result. The T5p became too thin and hollow for my taste. The T1 got more bass, but not in a good way, it sounded clogged, maybe that's how I woukd describe it.

Anyway, tastes are different, and that is a good thing. I did not like the result, but I was absolutely flabbergasted what a huge difference swapping the pads made on both headphones!

Jul 7, 2017 at 8:12 PM Post #1,057 of 1,956
I put the DT1770 velour pads (available on Amazon UK) on my T5p. It makes my T5p sounds more or less like my T1. The T1 pads have too many holes on the back which in my opinion not suitable to the T5p (too thin and diffuse sounding)

Jul 8, 2017 at 6:41 AM Post #1,058 of 1,956
I put the DT1770 velour pads (available on Amazon UK) on my T5p. It makes my T5p sounds more or less like my T1. The T1 pads have too many holes on the back which in my opinion not suitable to the T5p (too thin and diffuse sounding)

Thanks, will try that too

Jul 8, 2017 at 8:27 AM Post #1,059 of 1,956
I did a bit of experimenting and started with Brainwavz sheepskin pads. I bought them flat because I did not want to change the direction of the driver. But it was something wrong, the pads were too much and too soft, they were covering part of the driver and the bass got really thick and coloring the midrange. Brainwavz hybrid pads way much better. Improved comfort and the sound very close to the stock pads.

I ordered Beyerdynamic EDT 990 VB. What Gnawbert is describing is pretty much what I am looking for. Those are great headphones and worth investing a bit of money to dial them "perfectly"

Jul 9, 2017 at 12:41 PM Post #1,060 of 1,956

Did you put the foam covers on the drivers, or you left the drivers uncovered like with the stock pads?

Jul 10, 2017 at 1:37 AM Post #1,061 of 1,956
Did you put the foam covers on the drivers, or you left the drivers uncovered like with the stock pads?

No, I did not put the foam covers over the driver. I don't believe the T1s have the foam over them so I decided against it. Should I try it with them over it?

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2017 at 1:40 AM Post #1,062 of 1,956
Very interesting! I'll give the 1770 pads an order and see.

Jul 18, 2017 at 12:19 AM Post #1,064 of 1,956
I'm looking for a pouch for my t5p, the case is just damn huge and I need either smaller soft one or a pouch, can someone point me out something please?
If saving space is your goal (mine was), I've been using this case by Beyerdynamic themselves for the past year now rather satisfactorily. There's also the added benefit of a hard case's increased protection:
https://www.thomann.de/gb/beyerdynamic_dt_hardcase.htm

Users who are viewing this thread

Back