NECO SOUNDLABS PORTABLE V.2 AMP
Jun 12, 2016 at 11:31 PM Post #376 of 424
  V5 ordered, fellas.

tongue_smile.gif

tongue_smile.gif

tongue_smile.gif

Been awhile since I've wanted (or needed) a solid state amp.. especially a portable one.  The Leckerton UHA-6S MKII (ADA4627B opamps), Meier Audio QuickStep, and the Neco V4 (ADA4627B opamps) were my faves.. and since owning those, little (if anything), has interested me (they're that good).  The last (dedicated) ss amp I had was a Cavalli Liquid Carbon (from the original run).  It was a really nice amp (when run in balanced mode) but, to my ears, it lacked some resolution.  My current portable DAC/amp duties fall to the LHLabs Geek Out V2+ Infinity.  It's frighteningly good (when run balanced), but I'll switch it to exclusive DAC duty when the V5 arrives.  I'm quite excited to hear Neco's latest project.. will report back, of course.

I'm slightly interested in trying the 6S II for the heck of it, what did you think of it versus the Quickstep?  What opamps did you roll in that Leckerton besides ADA4627-1B?

Jun 20, 2016 at 8:50 PM Post #377 of 424
I'm slightly interested in trying the 6S II for the heck of it, what did you think of it versus the Quickstep?  What opamps did you roll in that Leckerton besides ADA4627-1B?

In a nutshell, the Leck was more transparent and better resolving than the QS. The QS excelled in dynamics, soundstage, and sounded a touch warmer. I like the Leck for IEMs and moderately efficient dynamics. The QS was well suited for planars and high z dynamics.. But the very fine volume control (and low gain) made it a great match for IEMs, too.

Jun 20, 2016 at 9:30 PM Post #378 of 424
I picked up my V5 this morning, fellas. As had always been my experience, Neco's customer service was nothing short of perfect. The guy is polite, accommodating, prompt, and humble.

My current rig is:

Geek Out v2+ Infinity (2 Volt output, TCM & FRM filters)-- Neco V5 (high gain) -- Sennheiser HD 650 (modded).

I've been running the V5 for only 30 minutes, so consider this as my very very very early impressions..

In my limited time with it so far, the V5 sounds quite impressive. Smooth, effortless, very powerful, controlled, transparent, and tonally pure. The very black background lends itself to excellent resolution. I sense a very slight tinge of warmth that gives the V5 a natural, realistic quality. I don't find this hint of warmth to be intrusive or overly coloring.. not in the slightest.

The other quality that immediately struck me was how "fast" this amp sounds.. But it was fast without sounding dry, harsh, etched, or thin. Again, there is an effortless, natural quality to the speed of the V5 that, to me, is reminiscent of well designed tube amps (not the gooey, slow, overtly lush ones). I sense this is something current feedback amps tend to feature, too (I heard some of this with the Liquid Carbon). All in all, it's quite promising.

More impressions to come (in time), of course.

Jun 20, 2016 at 9:50 PM Post #379 of 424
I picked up my V5 this morning, fellas. As had always been my experience, Neco's customer service was nothing short of perfect. The guy is polite, accommodating, prompt, and humble.

My current rig is:

Geek Out v2+ Infinity (2 Volt output, TCM & FRM filters)-- Neco V5 (high gain) -- Sennheiser HD 650 (modded).

I've been running the V5 for only 30 minutes, so consider this as my very very very early impressions..

In my limited time with it so far, the V5 sounds quite impressive. Smooth, effortless, very powerful, controlled, transparent, and tonally pure. The very black background lends itself to excellent resolution. I sense a very slight tinge of warmth that gives the V5 a natural, realistic quality. I don't find this hint of warmth to be intrusive or overly coloring.. not in the slightest.

The other quality that immediately struck me was how "fast" this amp sounds.. But it was fast without sounding dry, harsh, etched, or thin. Again, there is an effortless, natural quality to the speed of the V5 that, to me, is reminiscent of well designed tube amps (not the gooey, slow, overtly lush ones). I sense this is something current feedback amps tend to feature, too (I heard some of this with the Liquid Carbon). All in all, it's quite promising.

More impressions to come (in time), of course.

Indeed Flysweep that is exactly what I heard initially with just a hint of congestion compared to my fully burned in 4.1.  The .1 indicates the virtual ground update.  That was a pretty remarkable amp in its own right.  But 20 hours of burn in had that completely disappearing and everything just kept getting better.  I don't really hear a particular warmth compared to other amps but then I only had the 4.1 for direct comparison.  I just found it more neutral yet more liquid...obviously faster and more dynamic.  Transients just have more snap and life...ie
PRAT.  Glad to know you are hearing the same types of things.  I can tell you that the differences are noticeably more pronounced as my
front end improves.  I have the W4S recovery now running off a K&K Audio(Lundahl transformers) 9V LPS.  That made a substantial difference over the standard switching supply. Of course now the V5 lets it all show. Bigger, darker black, more dynamic, more stage, more Prat more tonal refinement and purity. Of anything in my system I would upgrade it last because I beieve there is more to come...MUHAHA!   Neco you mad genius...what magic you have wrought for a mere pittance!

Alway a pleasure Fly and Neco is every bit as much a gentleman as he is an engineer and it shows in everything he does.

Happy Listening,

jgwtriode

Jun 20, 2016 at 10:50 PM Post #380 of 424

Here is my repainted Slants...still need to clean them up a bit!  But too busy listening with the V5...which is the perfect amp for these. Managed to tear one one of my pad so its held together with some gorilla tape. You can see a bit of the copper underlayering...but shot
does not do it justice.  Going to rework them again when I have some days of after training. want a bit more random copper showing up in
the color mix.  Anyway I still quite like the overall result.  Need to take a bit of acetone to the earcup slides to do a bit of cleanup and of course get some new Alpha Pads.  Next pay check.

Happy Listening,

jgwtriode

Aug 9, 2016 at 8:38 AM Post #382 of 424
My v2 is for sale!
click

Aug 25, 2016 at 5:54 AM Post #383 of 424
Just been listening to my second hand V5, (Just burn in..80 hours) arrived this morning and first impressions after one hour of listening...WOW..!!
Just love those mids, bags of details and snap & timing are excellent..giving my Senn HD600 a new life!
Nothing to compare with immediately, but a few years ago i had a Creek OBH-21MK2, but as far i remenber this V5 is in a different leaque.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 25, 2016 at 4:32 PM Post #384 of 424
  Just been listening to my second hand V5, (Just burn in..80 hours) arrived this morning and first impressions after one hour of listening...WOW..!!
Just love those mids, bags of details and snap & timing are excellent..giving my Senn HD600 a new life!
Nothing to compare with immediately, but a few years ago i had a Creek OBH-21MK2, but as far i remenber this V5 is in a different leaque.
smily_headphones1.gif

Wow Im shocked that someone sold you a V5 after the fact.  The Amp is the best solid state I have heard and I know there are others who
concur with that assesment!

happy listening,

jgwtriode

Aug 25, 2016 at 5:02 PM Post #385 of 424
Wow Im shocked that someone sold you a V5 after the fact.  The Amp is the best solid state I have heard and I know there are others who
concur with that assesment!

happy listening,

jgwtriode

Thanks..i'm very happy with it!
Bought it here from Ledzep, who compared it with a RSA 71a and was a close call,
but he found it practical better to stick with the RSA 71a.

Nov 17, 2016 at 1:25 AM Post #387 of 424
After about 20hours of play time, the amp doesn't add coloration to the source.
With just my Opus#1 I am like listening inside a mini concert hall.
With the Neco V5,I am like listening inside a grand hall. Everything just expand.
The best portable amp I ever owned regardless of price.

Nov 17, 2016 at 10:49 AM Post #388 of 424
The best portable amp I ever owned regardless of price.

That is a huge statement there :open_mouth:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dec 9, 2016 at 1:50 AM Post #389 of 424
I've been enjoying my Neco Portable V5 for about two months now. My first thought was that this is quite an impressive unit! There was a noticeable increase in dynamics, bass impact and definition, and overall presence. Over time the resolution seems to have filled out and the highs and upper mids have sweetened.

I've put about 150 hrs on this unit and thus far I'm very satisfied!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back