MrSpeakers ETHER Flow and ETHER C Flow -- Inspired by Electrostatic Headphones
Jul 28, 2017 at 9:48 PM Post #4,471 of 5,796
i own the ether c 1.1 and I owned the (Ether) open. I decided to upgrade the Ether (open) and just received my fully upgraded Ether Flow (open) version. I like the headphone and though I obviously don't have my older Ether to compare it to, I think I prefer the Ether Flow. But like with the original I have one complaint. The lower midrange is slightly to elevated for me. It creates what I perceive to be a bit of excessive warmth (in the vocal range) that also unfortunately robs the headphone of the ultimate clarity I believe it is capable of delivering. So here is my question - Does anyone have experience to say whether the E-stat pads or some other pad would reduce the lower midrange warmth? not trying to change much else, just want to get rid of a bit of lower midrange and create a more transparent sound. Incidentally, I also feel the soundstage an separation within the soundstage is not as wide as I would like, but I can live with that.

The headphone has been running for about 72 hours, so further improvement may come.

Brian

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2017 at 9:49 PM Post #4,472 of 5,796
i own the ether c 1.1 and I owned the (Ether) open. I decided to upgrade the Ether (open) and just received my fully upgraded Ether Flow (open) version. I like the headphone and though I obviously don't have my older Ether to compare it to, I think I prefer the Ether Flow. But like with the original I have one complaint. The lower midrange is slightly to elevated for me. It creates what I perceive to be a bit of excessive warmth (in the vocal range) that also unfortunately robs the headphone of the ultimate clarity I believe it is capable of delivering. So here is my question - Does anyone have experience to say whether the E-stat pads or some other pad would reduce the lower midrange warmth? not trying to change much else, just want to get rid of a bit of lower midrange and create a more transparent sound. Incidentally, I also feel the soundstage an separation within the soundstage is not as wide as I would like, but I can live with that.

The headphone has been runing for about 72 hours so far so improvement may yet come.

Brian

I haven't tried the E stat pads, but it reads like you'd prefer the ETHER C Flow.

Jul 28, 2017 at 9:54 PM Post #4,473 of 5,796
Interesting observation. I do prefer the Ether C1.1 - My only downside to the Ether C is that I think it lacks a touch of midbass and maybe it's a bit midrange forward, but I like that. My dilemma is that I know I probably would like the Ether C Flow, but don't want to risk the upgrade because some people say it makes the midrange recessed and I would not like that. My options are to buy the Ether C Flow, or maybe an Aeon to add the portability factor. So yes, I do like the Ether C better, but I'm enjoying the Ether Flow (open) and would find it nearly perfect if I could just remove a little lower midrange.

Jul 28, 2017 at 10:00 PM Post #4,474 of 5,796
Interesting observation. I do prefer the Ether C1.1 - My only downside to the Ether C is that I think it lacks a touch of midbass and maybe it's a bit midrange forward, but I like that. My dilemma is that I know I probably would like the Ether C Flow, but don't want to risk the upgrade because some people say it makes the midrange recessed and I would not like that. My options are to buy the Ether C Flow, or maybe an Aeon to add the portability factor. So yes, I do like the Ether C better, but I'm enjoying the Ether Flow (open) and would find it nearly perfect if I could just remove a little lower midrange.

I have both and relative to the open Flow the C Flow has less mid bass but more lower bass. To me this is the biggest difference and the mids and highs are relatively the same when you take away the mid bass of the open Flow. I also had the C 1.1 and much prefer the C Flow. At least that's how I hear it. The AEON is reported to be between the Flow open and closed in the bass department and seems like a very well balanced option. I haven't heard the AEON so I'm just passing on what's been said already.

I like both the open and closed ETHER Flow depending on my mood, but realize this may not be an option for all.

Jul 31, 2017 at 8:06 PM Post #4,475 of 5,796
Last Saturday I got to listen to the Ether Flow driven by a Cavalli Liquid Gold amp at an event at The Source AV and that was a really great combo. Very dynamic, deep and punchy bass, smooth midrange (almost electrostat-like) and a smooth treble without brightness. With all the talk around the upcoming Ether Electrostat it's easy to forget what a really great headphone the Ether Flow still is.

Jul 31, 2017 at 9:45 PM Post #4,476 of 5,796
Okay. I just got the es pads in the mail today. After some listening, I can definitely hear the increase in soundstage. Listening to Yosi Horikawa – Letter, I can definitely perceive the pencil crossing between the left and right channels, opposed to it not transitioning as smooth with the original pads. As far as comfort, it’s actually better than my original pads.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2017 at 10:17 PM Post #4,477 of 5,796
@Torrs, just listening to Letter now. Really like that type of ambient soundscape. Although less minimalist, might I suggest you check out Bluetech if you haven't already. Thanks, really enjoying Yosi.

Aug 2, 2017 at 5:53 PM Post #4,478 of 5,796
Okay. I just got the es pads in the mail today. After some listening, I can definitely hear the increase in soundstage. Listening to Yosi Horikawa – Letter, I can definitely perceive the pencil crossing between the left and right channels, opposed to it not transitioning as smooth with the original pads. As far as comfort, it’s actually better than my original pads.

Hey Torrs

Thanks for this amazing link to an artist. Never heard before, just got Vapor & listening with the flow. Astounding music

Aug 2, 2017 at 8:11 PM Post #4,480 of 5,796
Any suggestions where to start from in the discography from bluetech?
Thanks
I really think Sines & Singularities is a great album to start with. You can purchase the album as Flac at Bandcamp for I think $9.99 so pretty darn reasonable for the quality of the album both in terms of material and mastering.

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2017 at 10:10 PM Post #4,481 of 5,796
I was first introduced to Yosi Horikawa when @warrenpchi recommended Bubbles. Musical ping pong balls never sounds so good.

Aug 3, 2017 at 8:17 AM Post #4,482 of 5,796
In light of recommending music/albums that sound great with ETHER, try Scann-tec/Unyt. It's laid back electronic music and insanely well recorded. Recommended by Dan the man himself.

Aug 3, 2017 at 8:43 AM Post #4,483 of 5,796
In light of recommending music/albums that sound great with ETHER, try Scann-tec/Unyt. It's laid back electronic music and insanely well recorded. Recommended by Dan the man himself.

Also...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back