MrSpeakers ETHER Flow and ETHER C Flow -- Inspired by Electrostatic Headphones
Jun 6, 2017 at 3:33 PM Post #4,396 of 5,796
Laying it my hotel room in London listening to my Ether C Flow through my Mojo. Walked to the hotel using my son's Sony EX750BT. The ECF sound even more spectacular as a result. The more I use them the more I love them. AC/DCs You Shook Me All Night Long never sounded so good.

Jun 7, 2017 at 6:50 AM Post #4,397 of 5,796
If you are using the stat pads and find it a bit bright move the headphone forward a bit. Because the ear cavity is bigger than the driver it's position sensitive.

When I use these I position the phones so my ear lightly touches the back of the pad.
I'll give that a try.

Jun 7, 2017 at 3:48 PM Post #4,398 of 5,796
My first impression on Ether C Flow as a previous owner of Ether C.. It does not give me as much holographic effects as the original Ether C.. Sounds seems to be more coherent, and there is an improvement on dynamic range, which is good for listening classical. But bass is somewhat boomy and soundstage is narrower for my liking. I now understand Tyll's initial response for the C Flow and I somewhat miss my original C. But maybe it is because I have not burn in long enough. I hope it open up. Time will tell

Jun 9, 2017 at 3:44 AM Post #4,401 of 5,796
Hello,
Can someone tell me if ether c / c flows, pair well with schiit jotunheim using 4pin xlr balanced connection?
Absolutely, for Jot balanced into C Flows, which I used from when the Jot came out until recently.

Jun 10, 2017 at 11:19 AM Post #4,403 of 5,796
thank you, i am actually hesitating with a centrance hifi-m8 using the balanced connection. The Jot is a clear better pairing?
Don't know, ive not heard the Centrance.

Jun 19, 2017 at 9:04 AM Post #4,404 of 5,796
If you are using the stat pads and find it a bit bright move the headphone forward a bit. Because the ear cavity is bigger than the driver it's position sensitive.

When I use these I position the phones so my ear lightly touches the back of the pad.
Yeah, actually that does work. Fortunately, I'm not overly sensitive to the ear cups touching my ears. So I'm back to using the Estat pads again!

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2017 at 10:15 AM Post #4,405 of 5,796
My Senn 800s have died. (Long story)

For me it's coming down to another one of those vs an Ether Flow vs the Sony MDR-Z1Rs possibly. These are as high on the budget chain as I am able and willing to go. I am suffering from information overload. :wink: Any input, advice, food for thought...whatever...appreciated. :)

Jun 19, 2017 at 10:35 AM Post #4,406 of 5,796

For me it's coming down to another one of those vs an Ether Flow vs the Sony MDR-Z1Rs possibly. These are as high on the budget chain as I am able and willing to go. I am suffering from information overload. :wink: Any input, advice, food for thought...whatever...appreciated. :)

Have you seen Tyll Hertsen's review of the MDR-Z1R? Some controversy is going on. I have yet to hear those or the Ether Flow or the 800/800S, but I would eliminate the Sonys for the simple fact that they are several hundred dollars more expensive than either of the other two, and there is apparently inconsistency in production quality. From months of reading about the 800/800S and the Ether Flows, by most accounts the Ether Flows should have the edge in the bass department, and the Senns have the edge (but only slightly) in soundstage and detail. Since you can pick up a brand new 800S for $1350 shipped, vs. 1800 for the Ethers, I would lean toward the 800S as being the better value, at least on paper. If I were you, I'd also include the Audeze LCD-X and LCD-3 in your listening evaluations, as they are also highly regarded phones in the same price range as the others.

Jun 19, 2017 at 10:15 PM Post #4,407 of 5,796

I own both Z1Rs and Ether Flow. If you are in the mood for something a little different try the Z1Rs. Their excellent low end response and relaxed presentation is very enjoyable. The headphones are very well made and also very comfortable for long listening sessions. Also regarding pricing, folks are reportedly picking them up for about the same cost as the Ether Flows so search around.

However, if you can't demo or listen to the Z1Rs before purchase, I think the safe bet is the Ether Flow. Those are certainly more in line with your (dead) HD800s but with better low end and a bit more of a fleshed out midrange. Not sure what you will be driving your headphones with but both the Z1R and Ether Flow should be more amp friendly than your HD800s as well.

These are my two favorite headphones so I think you've got two solid choices.

Jun 20, 2017 at 12:17 AM Post #4,408 of 5,796

Hey there. You might want to consider a LCD 3 if you want a solid low end and relaxed presentation

Here are my thoughts on LCD 3 vs Ether Flow

https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/ether-flow-vs-focal-elear.852646/#post-13545896

Z1R sound a little funny imo. You won't get the fluidity that the Ether Flow is so famous for.

Jun 20, 2017 at 12:50 AM Post #4,409 of 5,796
If you plan to buy new the LCD-3 would be a budget buster by a little bit. For most of the past year I have had the LCD-X and the ETHER as my headphones. The X saw at least 80% of head time as I felt it did everything a bit better especially the low end. I went ahead and spent the money to upgrade my ETHER to FLOW status hoping it would surpass the X. Unfortunately for me it still fell short of the X so it has been sold. As a matter of fact it gets shipped out tomorrow. The X falls into the same budget range that you have targeted. I cannot comment on the Z1R as it is one of the few cans in that range I have not auditioned. Just more food for thought!

Jun 20, 2017 at 11:34 AM Post #4,410 of 5,796
Good food for thought. :)

Since someone asked: I'm using a HeadAmp GS-X as my amplifier.

Interesting anecdote I saw someone write and I'm assuming they are/were Flow owners.

I saw someone mention that they swapped out the Flow's earpads with the Electrostatic pads and
... especially with the new ES Electrostatic pads the main complaint of the Ether Flows have been addressed (small soundstage).

Comments? (EDIT, I do see some discussion about this even a few pages ago so not trying to make people repeat themselves... some people in this thread apparently would agree???)

I'd probably take the advice to hold off on any earpad swapping until after spent time with the Ether Flows "as is."

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back