Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
May 21, 2017 at 9:31 PM Post #4,036 of 8,051
Snellemin's rig is insane...the M1060's were vibrating on my head like a shaker trasducer and the screws in my TH-X00 PH left cup were loose when I got home... and I wasn't listening at super loud volume. M1060's are BASS MONSTER's on a rig with lots of power, ultra clean and clear BASS MONSTER'S! And even tried my modded SHP9500's...was rediculous especially when got the hair brained idea to use the same custom attenuator plates I made for spare pads on my TH-X00 ... BWWAAHHHAAA...the BASS from the SHP9500's with the attenuator plates was comically awesome...I giggled and laughed. The MrSpeakers Aeon had nothing on them! LOL

If you ever have a chance to, plug your headphones into snellemin's rig... it's an experience! Just don't let him control the volume! LOL
So... on that uber bass head rig, how does the m1060 compare to x00?

May 21, 2017 at 9:43 PM Post #4,037 of 8,051
I feel like I've recently developed my love for music again. Yeah I bought the Schiit stack before the headphones and didn't think on upgrading that just yet. I know what you mean though, sometimes the highs are too bright and has a shrill to it. I'm just weighing my options to see what I can do. Ultimately, I just want to sample tons of headphones. I wanna hear the differences and the 560s are, at least to me, a great intro into the world of hifi cans.

I am not trying to discourage you in any way. Many or likely the vast majority, love them (560). If you check the 560 thread you will note that the majority rave about them. I was just pointing out my thoughts. If you are content with the tonality/FR for the 560 then the other things that they do so well make them a great first purchase. If you are willing to accept their signature long term in those areas, then they are even better for you.

If you can listen to them with the Magni/Modi combination ad still like them, obviously your tastes in headphones are quite different from mine. Which means you can likely disregard anything that I wrote on the subject.

However, you asked for a comparison and if the 560 price over the 1060 was worth it. That answer is necessarily very subjective. It depends on which any given person likes the best in reproduced sound, their budget, and what the differences that are heard are worth to them.

I just told you what I think... But I have lots of headphones and have become very picky about some things. A headphone can knock me out in all areas other then what I consider a natural tonality, and I will never recommend them. If they pass that initial test, I can listen critically to appreciate the rest of their qualities.

Last edited:
May 22, 2017 at 3:31 AM Post #4,038 of 8,051
So... on that uber bass head rig, how does the m1060 compare to x00?
Similar to like on a normal rig in that it is still behind the TH-X00, but much closer to the impact of the TH-X00 PH at the same time. The modded TH-X00 PH hit harder, and from what I remember in a more detailed manner with the power driving them. The bass region was a little more overpowering to the rest of the frequencies on the M1060's with the power while the TH-X00 PH's stayed more balanced and even in presentation - due to the ear pads, attenuator plate, and Lawton Tune-up kit. Against a stock TH-X00 the M1060 would still have just a little less impact, but probably sound a little more balanced with more detail.

May 22, 2017 at 12:19 PM Post #4,040 of 8,051
On a similar note, for those that ordered the brown vegans from soundapproach.com, I just got confirmation/tracking that my order I placed last Monday (a week ago), just shipped out. So they physically have them on hand now.

May 22, 2017 at 12:39 PM Post #4,041 of 8,051
May 22, 2017 at 3:23 PM Post #4,043 of 8,051
May 22, 2017 at 8:07 PM Post #4,045 of 8,051
May 22, 2017 at 8:09 PM Post #4,046 of 8,051
May 22, 2017 at 8:21 PM Post #4,047 of 8,051
Hifiman cables do work too

I asked @ Triton Cables about this when I ordered. He said that the TRS connectors are widely available, and therefore cheaper for cable builders. Only the tip (T) and sleeve (S) are used on the two plugs for headphones which used dual 2.5mm plugs. So as long as the cable maker doesn't wire up the ring (R) connector, they work fine. Certainly the case for Hifiman replacement cables from knowledgeable suppliers.

However, the item included in the original post:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-5mm-5N-OF...210797?hash=item3d14fe3bad:g:e00AAOSwLa9UVtiO

appear to be 3.5mm TS plugs, not 2.5mm TS, so won't work for m1060.

"10' Headphone cable (with two gold-plated straight 3.5mm plugs on one end and a single 3.5mm plug on the other end)" -- from description of Denon AH-D600 on the Crutchfield site:

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-oNmyZBDk0rU/p_033AHD600/Denon-AH-D600-Music-Maniac.html

May 22, 2017 at 8:31 PM Post #4,048 of 8,051
Hello all. Just got my set today. Where can I find a replacement cable? I would like a shorter cable.

I asked @ Triton Cables about this when I ordered. He said that the TRS connectors are widely available, and therefore cheaper for cable builders. Only the tip (T) and sleeve (S) are used on the two plugs for headphones which used dual 2.5mm plugs. So as long as the cable maker doesn't wire up the ring (R) connector, they work fine. Certainly the case for Hifiman replacement cables from knowledgeable suppliers.

However, the item included in the original post:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-5mm-5N-OF...210797?hash=item3d14fe3bad:g:e00AAOSwLa9UVtiO

appear to be 3.5mm TS plugs, not 2.5mm TS, so won't work for m1060.

"10' Headphone cable (with two gold-plated straight 3.5mm plugs on one end and a single 3.5mm plug on the other end)" -- from description of Denon AH-D600 on the Crutchfield site:

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-oNmyZBDk0rU/p_033AHD600/Denon-AH-D600-Music-Maniac.html

In this case, the Oppo PM-1/PM-2 cables will fit:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Replace...hash=item487e22bfba:m:mn-PZUyNlA3m7-GKFQv2ZpA

May 22, 2017 at 9:57 PM Post #4,049 of 8,051

Users who are viewing this thread

Back