LZ Big Dipper impressions and discussions thread
May 26, 2017 at 12:31 PM Post #46 of 173
I agree with the above and also with Peter. My Angies bury my Senn HD600 in just about every way but they're like 5 times the price.
This is a very exciting time for Chi-fi and for us. I have a pair of Gleam Audio DZ8 which comes close to the Angies, falls short in timbre and transients among other things but on the whole it puts up a good fight. It has a balanced signature with no significant dips or peaks and does so much right. It outclasses any 1, 2, 3, 4 driver iem I've heard. It falls short in the treble region against Angie but hey, it's more of a stage monitor than a reference monitor. The shells of the DZ8 looks like the same as the "Big Dipper" and they are very ergonomic, they've gotta be big to house the 8 drivers but they're very comfy. Much comfier than the gigantic Angies. I am hopeing the Big Dipper is a reference type of iem. If it is I might consider it. But if it is an $800-1000 fun kind of monitor I don't see the value. Some may disagree with this and that's fine. I am into reference sound at the moment.

Is it a mis-step? Won't know until the community starts reviewing them. I have faith in LZ but lately I've taken too many for the team lstely to set this wallet on fire again.

It's unwise to compare IEMs with full open headphones. No matter how good an IEM, it cannot give you a hearing that a full open headphone can give you. Technically, IE800 is better than HD600. But what you hear from IE800 is still an IEM.

May 26, 2017 at 8:49 PM Post #47 of 173
May 27, 2017 at 1:40 AM Post #48 of 173
I agree with the above and also with Peter. My Angies bury my Senn HD600 in just about every way but they're like 5 times the price.
This is a very exciting time for Chi-fi and for us. I have a pair of Gleam Audio DZ8 which comes close to the Angies, falls short in timbre and transients among other things but on the whole it puts up a good fight. It has a balanced signature with no significant dips or peaks and does so much right. It outclasses any 1, 2, 3, 4 driver iem I've heard. It falls short in the treble region against Angie but hey, it's more of a stage monitor than a reference monitor. The shells of the DZ8 looks like the same as the "Big Dipper" and they are very ergonomic, they've gotta be big to house the 8 drivers but they're very comfy. Much comfier than the gigantic Angies. I am hopeing the Big Dipper is a reference type of iem. If it is I might consider it. But if it is an $800-1000 fun kind of monitor I don't see the value. Some may disagree with this and that's fine. I am into reference sound at the moment.

Is it a mis-step? Won't know until the community starts reviewing them. I have faith in LZ but lately I've taken too many for the team lstely to set this wallet on fire again.
If DZ8 is compatible with Angies than i think the DZ12 will be even better than Angies , , ,

May 28, 2017 at 8:36 PM Post #49 of 173
No that's not what i said or meant. If Gleam Audio keep making IEMS for another ten years then they might be able to make an IEM that sings like Angie.
They're making stage monitor like iems not reference iems so it's a bit unfair to compare them anyways.

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2017 at 5:26 PM Post #51 of 173
Though I love chifi, that FR graph is kind of a turn off for $600+ lol..

at the LZ Big Dipper's price, you can probably pick up a TOTL IEM that is well regarded -- those interested in actually purchasing the Big Dipper likely have a bit of extra cash to spare and love the thrill of chifi (I being the latter, but not the former)

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2017 at 6:52 AM Post #52 of 173
Though I love chifi, that FR graph is kind of a turn off for $600+ lol..

at the LZ Big Dipper's price, you can probably pick up a TOTL IEM that is well regarded -- those interested in actually purchasing the Big Dipper likely have a bit of extra cash to spare and love the thrill of chifi (I being the latter, but not the former)
Same here. No demo and high price for "unknown" manufacturer is a turn-off.
I've taken the plunge with Fidue Sirius only because i could demo them and they're built like a tank.
I've learn my session with Rose (=very good IEMs but so-so quality check leading to frequent service that they only provide when "forced" by Penon nice guys).

Jun 4, 2017 at 8:02 AM Post #53 of 173
Same here. No demo and high price for "unknown" manufacturer is a turn-off.
I've taken the plunge with Fidue Sirius only because i could demo them and they're built like a tank.
I've learn my session with Rose (=very good IEMs but so-so quality check leading to frequent service that they only provide when "forced" by Penon nice guys).
LZ is very well know around Head-Fi so that won't be an issue for many people. However I agree with you on the price - without at least a couple of reputable reviews it's too much to spend for the brand name alone.

Jun 4, 2017 at 11:27 AM Post #54 of 173
I think there must be a bit difference in the tuning of fixed sound version and the tuneable sound version models so the FR graph on the first page is not clear is for fixed sound version or tunable sound version model, , , ,

Jul 4, 2017 at 7:02 AM Post #60 of 173
Thought you guys might like to see a slightly different graph - I think this might be slightly more representative of the sonic signature. It gels with what I'm hearing anyway.

Usual disclaimer:
The graphs below are generated using the Vibro Veritas coupler and ARTA software. Ken Ball (ALO/Campfire) graciously provided me with measurement data which I have used to recalibrate my Veritas so that it mimics an IEC 711 measurement standard (Ken uses two separate BK ear simulators, we measured the same set of IEMs, and I built my calibration curve from shared data). I do not claim that this data is 100% accurate, but it is very consistent, and is as close as I can get to the IEC 711 standard on my budget.

I do not claim that the measurements are in any way more accurate than anyone else's, but they have been proven to be consistent and I think they should be enough to give a reasonable idea of response - especially if you've followed any of my other reviews. When measuring I always use crystal foam tips (so medium bore opening) - and the reason I use them is for very consistent seal and placement depth in the coupler. I use the same amp (E11K) for all my measurements - and output is under 1 ohm.

First lets look at the Dipper with all switches in the off position:
Dipper all off.png

A little more V shaped than reference - but pretty darn good.

OK - what about turning just the treble on
Dipper treble on.png

And just the mids on
Dipper mids on.png

Now just the bass on
Dipper bass on.png

Some pretty nice configurations - and no filters to muck around with (although the little switches are a bit tricky)

So what if we turn them all on?
Dipper all on.png

And how is the quality of the channel matching?
Dipper channel.png
(this was with all the switches on)

I'll have more for you - including photos - as soon as start the review process in about a week. Have a couple I need to finish first.

Oh - and they sound pretty darn good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back