LZ-A4 Impressions and Discussion Thread
Jul 13, 2017 at 3:31 PM Post #4,382 of 5,225
This is debatable, and not something to go into in this section of the forum. For a balanced debate on the sonic quality of cables, I suggest posting in Sound Science. Here - you'll get only the subjective side of the debate - anecdotal tales about people hearing cables change the sound of their IEMs. The problem is that virtually none of it can be backed up - with things like blind tests etc to try and find out if there are real changes.

Cables can change a frequency response if they alter impedance - and you're dealing with an IEM susceptible to impeding changing frequency (some multi-BAs and generally those with a crossover involved). If a cable does have a higher impedance, it can also affect the volume output. There was a debate about the P1 dynamic IEM with various cables changing. Turned out that it was only the volume changing with different cables, and people perceived that as higher definition. You could achieve the same change by adjusting the volume on your DAP.

ERRATA (BURN IN / CABLE IMPROVEMENTS)
I noticed that when these were first released, there were some comments regarding improvement with burn in, and also with changing the cable. Being the stubborn objectivist, this gave me an ideal opportunity to measure both claims.

Burn-in
This was a simple one. Record the frequency response OOTB with my usual measuring equipment, and then take the same measurements 3 months later (after 100 + hours use). The graph is shown below (right channel). There will be some minor variations due to seating on the coupler – but as you can see, any changes are extremely tiny and will be more to do with seating on the measuring equipment. And likewise, you'll get more change from differing insertion depths in your own ears, or use of different tips, than any perceived effects from burn in. So when someone suggests the MEE P1 need burn in – simply smile politely and ignore them :)

Cable Changes
I suspected that MEEs custom dynamic driver would be pretty stable – especially as far as impedance goes. While I couldn't measure this, I could measure the effect of different cables to see what if any changes there would be. So for this exercise I measured the included OFC and SPC cables, the FiiO RC-SE1B cable (with a balanced to SE adaptor), the ALO Tinsel, and also an OFC Trinity cable. As you can see from the graph below, there were very slight changes in actual volume (which indicates slight changes in impedance of the cables). But when volume matched, the cables all show the same frequency response. So again – if anyone indicates a more expensive cable as giving better sound-stage, vibrancy, bass/mids/treble etc – simply smile, ignore them, and adjust the volume. It should net the same results.

Raw data 5 cables
Left to right - FiiO SPC, Trinity OFC, ALO Tinsel SPC, MEE SPC
All cables after volume matching

I don't want to turn this into an off-topic debate - so I'd suggest we leave it there. My personal advice - unless you know your IEM will change with impedance and you have a desire to do so (I did this with my U6) - get a cable that matches your aesthetic preferences (looks, comfort, microphonics). Don't reply on sound changes. Most of the time they don't actually happen (not that we can measure and prove anyway).

Jul 13, 2017 at 6:49 PM Post #4,383 of 5,225
Man is this filter swapping thing hard! I really like the clarity of these iems, but I just can't seem to settle with one set of filters and nozzles. I've been using black/black for a while now, and even though I love the soundstage, instrument separation and clarity they are simply too bright and lacking something. Going back to black back and red front seems to boomy for me though. Black back/grey front have nice mids but are also too bright to my ears.

I really want to love these iems, and in many ways I do, but I just can't find the perfect sound signature for the mix of music I listen to (60's folk, neo soul, rap, pop, acoustic). I understand that no iems excel at everything - I just want it to do everything good enough. I'm trying blue back/red nozzles right now. Any love for that combo here?

Jul 13, 2017 at 9:33 PM Post #4,384 of 5,225
am i too late to join the club now? :joy:
just got my a4 a few days back. Currently using the black/black filters. The grey front filters are nice but i feel the black are slightly more resolving. The red green pink filters sounds weird to me. It feels like everything became softer. Are my filters faulty?
The stock cable is nice but feels a little fragile so i've replaced it with the VE espresso cable. however the mmcx connection is kinda loose and spins 360 easily. The earpiece part flew out when i swing the earpiece over my shoulder which is quite worrying. Is there any way to make the connection tight?

Jul 13, 2017 at 10:08 PM Post #4,385 of 5,225
am i too late to join the club now? :joy:
just got my a4 a few days back. Currently using the black/black filters. The grey front filters are nice but i feel the black are slightly more resolving. The red green pink filters sounds weird to me. It feels like everything became softer. Are my filters faulty?
The stock cable is nice but feels a little fragile so i've replaced it with the VE espresso cable. however the mmcx connection is kinda loose and spins 360 easily. The earpiece part flew out when i swing the earpiece over my shoulder which is quite worrying. Is there any way to make the connection tight?

I replaced the MMCX connectors on my VE Espresso cable, with a pair of these - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1Pa...SE535-Carbon-Fiber-Connector/32805364944.html

Jul 14, 2017 at 3:53 AM Post #4,386 of 5,225
Man is this filter swapping thing hard! I really like the clarity of these iems, but I just can't seem to settle with one set of filters and nozzles. I've been using black/black for a while now, and even though I love the soundstage, instrument separation and clarity they are simply too bright and lacking something. Going back to black back and red front seems to boomy for me though. Black back/grey front have nice mids but are also too bright to my ears.

I really want to love these iems, and in many ways I do, but I just can't find the perfect sound signature for the mix of music I listen to (60's folk, neo soul, rap, pop, acoustic). I understand that no iems excel at everything - I just want it to do everything good enough. I'm trying blue back/red nozzles right now. Any love for that combo here?

I am in a very same situation with you, whatever filter I used.

Jul 14, 2017 at 8:18 AM Post #4,387 of 5,225
This is debatable, and not something to go into in this section of the forum. For a balanced debate on the sonic quality of cables, I suggest posting in Sound Science. Here - you'll get only the subjective side of the debate - anecdotal tales about people hearing cables change the sound of their IEMs. The problem is that virtually none of it can be backed up - with things like blind tests etc to try and find out if there are real changes.

Cables can change a frequency response if they alter impedance - and you're dealing with an IEM susceptible to impeding changing frequency (some multi-BAs and generally those with a crossover involved). If a cable does have a higher impedance, it can also affect the volume output. There was a debate about the P1 dynamic IEM with various cables changing. Turned out that it was only the volume changing with different cables, and people perceived that as higher definition. You could achieve the same change by adjusting the volume on your DAP.

I don't want to turn this into an off-topic debate - so I'd suggest we leave it there. My personal advice - unless you know your IEM will change with impedance and you have a desire to do so (I did this with my U6) - get a cable that matches your aesthetic preferences (looks, comfort, microphonics). Don't reply on sound changes. Most of the time they don't actually happen (not that we can measure and prove anyway).

@Brooko just wanted to say thanks for this, and every other, informative contribution. In my opinion you're a huge asset to this community! The change in frequency response was what I was clumsily referring to as 'definition'. I totally agree that user results are basically anecdotal (even if i do have my own anecdote!!)

Jul 14, 2017 at 12:37 PM Post #4,388 of 5,225
I replaced the MMCX connectors on my VE Espresso cable, with a pair of these - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1Pa...SE535-Carbon-Fiber-Connector/32805364944.html

Not very keen on taking it apart :cold_sweat: I'm bad at soldering. Gonna try to stick something in between the connections and tighten them.

Edit: On a side note, currently enjoying the grey/red combo. The greys help to tame the highs and it feels less fatiguing while the red seems to add a little touch of bass which is nice.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2017 at 1:37 PM Post #4,389 of 5,225
Not very keen on taking it apart :cold_sweat: I'm bad at soldering. Gonna try to stick something in between the connections and tighten them.

Edit: On a side note, currently enjoying the grey/red combo. The greys help to tame the highs and it feels less fatiguing while the red seems to add a little touch of bass which is nice.

If you're careful, you may be able to spread the MMCX split-ring a bit, for a slightly better fit in the LZ A4 connector. That didn't make as much difference as I wanted, so I ended up replacing the connectors.

Jul 17, 2017 at 5:36 PM Post #4,390 of 5,225

Hey, I use black/black and don't feel they're that bright but I can see why you might. I would have suggested black back.red front but you've tried that too. Have you tried using foams with either combo?

Jul 17, 2017 at 5:50 PM Post #4,391 of 5,225
Anyone suggest an IEM that has a similar open sound as the lZA4 but just a bit smoother in the mids with bit more sub bass depth and impact? I'm not too fussed about extension up top.

I've been looking at the FLC 8, MusicMaker Phantom III/Shockwave III and I've checking out some of the sets in the Rose range.

I feel the LZ A4 tops the Dunu Dn 2000 and RHA T20, both the most I've spent on a single pair of IEMs.

EDIT : £200 max

Jul 18, 2017 at 12:31 AM Post #4,392 of 5,225
Anyone suggest an IEM that has a similar open sound as the lZA4 but just a bit smoother in the mids with bit more sub bass depth and impact? I'm not too fussed about extension up top.

I've been looking at the FLC 8, MusicMaker Phantom III/Shockwave III and I've checking out some of the sets in the Rose range.

I feel the LZ A4 tops the Dunu Dn 2000 and RHA T20, both the most I've spent on a single pair of IEMs.

EDIT : £200 max

you should look at the rose cappuccino. it has better subbass. and a touch more resolution overall.

shockwave 3 has nice bass but it has harsh treble and sibilance.

Jul 18, 2017 at 2:48 AM Post #4,393 of 5,225
you should look at the rose cappuccino. it has better subbass. and a touch more resolution overall.

shockwave 3 has nice bass but it has harsh treble and sibilance.
Yes, the cappuccino has amazing subbass extension.

Jul 18, 2017 at 4:26 AM Post #4,394 of 5,225
Hey, I use black/black and don't feel they're that bright but I can see why you might. I would have suggested black back.red front but you've tried that too. Have you tried using foams with either combo?

I haven't actually, as I always feel they muffle the sound. I'm sticking with black/black, since all other combos leave me feeling underwhelmed. They work for most genres, they just feel a little thin with rnb, soul and rap. Maybe I should have gone with a different set of iems.. Well well, too late now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back