LZ-A4 Impressions and Discussion Thread
Jun 26, 2017 at 4:10 AM Post #4,351 of 5,225
I tried large already but still with same result, I have spiral dot (L and M/L) and one spinfit CP-100 (M) coming to try. I even have star tips from aliexpress as I read that it is nice, unfortunately it is not with my ear. I have IT03 also on the way to replace this if the problem persist. Do you have idea kind of tips with shallow insertion and if the ones mentioned above have it?
I use these generic ones that come with many Chinese IEMs. They're about 14mm diameter. All the tips that came with the A4 are too small for my ears.

20170626_150342.jpg

Jun 26, 2017 at 4:11 AM Post #4,352 of 5,225
It took me my entire tip collection from all my IEMs to find ones that work. And it turns out the ones for me were the Final Audio tips I got for free from CanJam. Go figure...
Those Final tips are good quality. I got some from CanJam too but they're all too small for me.

Jun 26, 2017 at 5:45 AM Post #4,353 of 5,225
I use these generic ones that come with many Chinese IEMs. They're about 14mm diameter. All the tips that came with the A4 are too small for my ears.

Here is mine using the tips from my ttpod e1, the best seal I can have using that tips but still there is a room for improvement. Part of the problem I notice is that I have large Tragus compare to others, thus making the iem unable to insert fully.

MyDAP.JPG

Jun 26, 2017 at 6:16 AM Post #4,354 of 5,225
Here is mine using the tips from my ttpod e1, the best seal I can have using that tips but still there is a room for improvement. Part of the problem I notice is that I have large Tragus compare to others, thus making the iem unable to insert fully.

Did you try both over ear and cable down?

Jun 26, 2017 at 6:30 AM Post #4,355 of 5,225
Did you try both over ear and cable down?
Yes, the A4 have a rounded body so the body still touch my tragus in both arrangement preventing the a4 to insert fully. One solution I think of maybe is to have tips with extended nozzle. Will try both spinfit and spiral dots when they arrived.

Jun 26, 2017 at 7:52 AM Post #4,356 of 5,225
Yes, the A4 have a rounded body so the body still touch my tragus in both arrangement preventing the a4 to insert fully. One solution I think of maybe is to have tips with extended nozzle. Will try both spinfit and spiral dots when they arrived.
Yep, either that or you can make a riser by cutting of a ring from the core of another tip and sliding that onto the nozzle.

Jun 27, 2017 at 12:50 AM Post #4,357 of 5,225
Wondering what tips everyone here uses? Got spinfits/spiral dots and the stock ones but tbh they're all not that great. For reference i really enjoyed the stock ones which came with my yamaha eph-100 but lost them.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2017 at 5:11 PM Post #4,358 of 5,225
It looks like Penon's 4 core silver plated cable. Don't know if it comes as standard these days. It doesn't say so on the website, but hey, I'm not complaining. These are my first mmcx iems so I didn't have any extra cables lying around either. :beerchug:

I just received my A4's and mine also came with the same silver cable. I assume that it is standard now.

Jun 30, 2017 at 5:42 AM Post #4,359 of 5,225
Reading graphs doesn't really tell a novice like me much. Could someone with a better ear tell me the difference between the pink and red front nozzle, with the black back filter? To me the pink nozzle seems a little warmer, perhaps with more midbass? Which seems to give me a bit of bass fatigue. I know that the nozzles are supposed to affect the treble, but what I mean is that the pink nozzles and their treble profile seem to bring out the bass in a way that the grey nozzles don't? I also feel that they lack the sparkle that I get with the red nozzles. Black/black sounds good with some tracks (the soundstage and sparkle) but is too bright to my ears.

Like I said, I'm new to this, so please bear with me even if I sound stupid and this makes no sense. :beyersmile:

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2017 at 7:02 AM Post #4,360 of 5,225
Red and pink are virtually same below about 1.5 kHz. Above that, red is slightly brighter / crisper in the upper mids and lower treble. Pink will seem slightly smoother because it doesn't have the same amplitude of peaks. There is no change in mid-bass though.

If black/black to edgy - try either black/green (more mids, less treble) or stick with black/red

Jun 30, 2017 at 7:32 AM Post #4,361 of 5,225
Red and pink are virtually same below about 1.5 kHz. Above that, red is slightly brighter / crisper in the upper mids and lower treble. Pink will seem slightly smoother because it doesn't have the same amplitude of peaks. There is no change in mid-bass though.

If black/black to edgy - try either black/green (more mids, less treble) or stick with black/red

I guess it's that upper mids/lower treble crispness that makes all the difference to me. Black/green sounds a bit weird to my ears - can't really put my finger on it. Thanks for the suggestions. :)

Jun 30, 2017 at 12:09 PM Post #4,362 of 5,225
Can anyone possibly advise which filter combination would most similarly duplicate the sound signature of HE-400i's?

They are my current main pair and if there is a way to duplicate that signature with these LZ A4's (or even improve upon it?) I would be very happy.

As of now I am mostly sticking with Black backs because I don't want overpowering bass. I also don't want too bright a sound signature either (the Stealth combo or Black / Black is too fatiguing and harsh for me).

I'm currently testing Black / Green and Black / Gray. Am I going in the wrong direction?

I mostly listen to Metal/Rock, Synthwave, Ambient. Thanks!

Jun 30, 2017 at 12:31 PM Post #4,363 of 5,225
Can anyone possibly advise which filter combination would most similarly duplicate the sound signature of HE-400i's?

They are my current main pair and if there is a way to duplicate that signature with these LZ A4's (or even improve upon it?) I would be very happy.

As of now I am mostly sticking with Black backs because I don't want overpowering bass. I also don't want too bright a sound signature either (the Stealth combo or Black / Black is too fatiguing and harsh for me).

I'm currently testing Black / Green and Black / Gray. Am I going in the wrong direction?

I mostly listen to Metal/Rock, Synthwave, Ambient. Thanks!

gray and pink are the most relaxing ones i think.

you can try without back filter too. a friend told me it plays like he500 with back filterless-green front :)

Jun 30, 2017 at 12:39 PM Post #4,364 of 5,225
Reading graphs doesn't really tell a novice like me much. Could someone with a better ear tell me the difference between the pink and red front nozzle, with the black back filter? To me the pink nozzle seems a little warmer, perhaps with more midbass? Which seems to give me a bit of bass fatigue. I know that the nozzles are supposed to affect the treble, but what I mean is that the pink nozzles and their treble profile seem to bring out the bass in a way that the grey nozzles don't? I also feel that they lack the sparkle that I get with the red nozzles. Black/black sounds good with some tracks (the soundstage and sparkle) but is too bright to my ears.

Like I said, I'm new to this, so please bear with me even if I sound stupid and this makes no sense. :beyersmile:

I found that the red and pink nozzle filters recessed the mids so much that I wanted to turn up the volume to the point where the bass got too loud and would make any intermittent treble spikes really bothersome. Tuning preferences are funny that way. Unless you're the type of listener who craves that V shape, most people tend to determine the "right" volume by how present the mids are, and will turn up or down based on that, then later they'll start to notice how loud (or quiet) the bass and/or treble is.

Jul 1, 2017 at 2:25 AM Post #4,365 of 5,225
I'm looking to replace the Fidue A83 balanced cable with the Ibasso CB12, and I'm hoping someone can tell me firsthand if this cable is a good fit for the A4? Twister6 has stated in his review the CB12 mmcx connector housing has to be trimmed to make it work with the majority of iems...
I'm also looking at Penon Audio's DIY balanced copper cable...?
Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back